“Surprise Surprise!”

Ranked #55 of 146 Restaurants in Stroud
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We were visiting the area recently on a driving holiday of 3 weeks. As we had been eating in Pubs every night we decided to give the Pavillion a try for a change. What a surprise when we came in out of the rain! A very warm welcome into a lovely restaurant with beautifully set tables with white cloths. There was an extensive menu and we ordered a couple of starters, a main course, some plain rice, a vegetable curry as a side and a garlic naan bread. We soon discovered that we should not have had the starters as the rest was more than enough for 2! Everything was delicious but all worked out a bit on the expensive side. The starters were pricey for what you got, but as I said we didn't need them. The waiters were difficult to understand but did a good job.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Probably one of the best Indian Restaurants I've had a meal in for quite sometime. Very good range of items on the menu, good and friendly service and accommodating of nut allergy sufferers. I've been before and I'll defintely go again.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

I've recently moved to Gloucestershire and have spent the past 18 months trying out various curry houses from Bristol to Gloucester in the hope of finding one which matches my high expectations from London and Asia. I'd say the local palette doesn't reflect authentic curry, even the best curry houses in this area seem to serve good quality and well cooked but ultimately rather bland food.

The Pavillion (near Stroud, on the A419) is exceptional in this regard. Whilst the quality of the ingredients and the standard of cooking is great, the flavours and textures are even better. Truly superb food which warrants many a return visit. I am gradually working my way through the restaurant specialities and have yet to find a disappointing dish.

It's not cheap, but personally i'd rather pay a few pounds more for really great food than a few pounds less for something i could have rustled up at home from a jar. Wouldn't you?

Good service, great food, easy to find, plenty of parking - highly recommended.

Reviewed March 24, 2012

I had to give this take away a 1 star rating as we ordered vegetarian food (as we are vegetarian) but the balti dish had a piece of chicken in it. Fair to say this put me off all the food and ruined the whole take away. Not great because of this!

2  Thank Helen H
Reviewed January 29, 2012

We got a takeaway and everything was lush. We normally go to The Passage to India and Balti Nailsworth, and were trying this for a first.

The onion bhajis were the best I've ever had, the salads and side sauces were incredibly fresh, and the curries and naan breads were delicious. The lamb in my vindaloo was so soft and tender, much better than anything else around here.

This is now my curry house of choice.

3  Thank Shireboy69