“noisy”
Review of The Clothiers Arms

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stroud
The Clothiers Arms
Ranked #10 of 34 Stroud B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 10, 2013

First night was Friday. Which is 'Live Music Night'. But the band didn't show up so maybe that's why we slept ok. The second night (saturday) there was a birthday party in the restaurant below (restaurant closed) with live music which went on till midnight followed by noisy departure of guests. When I raised this with the manager the next morning he told me 'This is a pub. what do you expect?' When I suggested he might have warned us, he said that if he did that to his customers he 'would have no business'.
HIs manner was extremely defensive - I had the impression this complaint was one he frequently had to deal with. Deducted the £5 for breakfast which we had missed anyway as we had overslept once we had finally got to sleep.
If they regard this noise as an inherent factor when staying in their hotel/pub, they should put it clearly on their website.
Avoid if you want a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: Can't really suggest good room as Manager insisted we couldn't have heard anything as our ro...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Clothiers Arms

Reviewed November 1, 2013

I stayed in the Clothiers Arms for one night this week with my daughter and found the accommodation lovely, the food outstanding and the staff very friendly. I also considered booking the Premier Inn at the time of booking but am so glad I chose this inn instead. Cost wise, the Clothiers Arms was slightly cheaper and offered comfortable accommodation in a lovely traditional setting. I will not hesitate to return in the future and would like to thank all the staff for their service.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 21, 2013

First time back in Stroud since '76 and my how the town has come on. It was still raining though. The difference between pubs then and now is the food, drink and accommodation is generally higher quality. Back then, the Ploughman's lunch (a tourist board invention) was in vogue, you might have trouble finding a decent fresh real ale (thank you CAMRA), and most people thought en suite was a type of confectionery. The trouble with age and experience however is with the best will in the world you do become more apt to notice where things fall short. So it was on this occasion. My room was very warm (better than cold anyway), but I couldn't open the window. The TV did not work. The shower needed a service (and in a perfect world an upgrade). Staff were short at breakfast, so the wait was overlong, and why do so many establishments still spoil a perfectly good English breakfast for want of a quality sausage ? Although there was a promising set of ales on offer, none of them hit the spot. Still the staff were friendly, there was a convivial atmosphere in the bar and the prices were reasonable. Don't let this old curmudgeon stop you giving it a try.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank PerryFrastic
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed here with a friend while on a short walking holiday in the area and both of use were very pleased with our rooms and the stay in general. We were using public transport and so location was important - and this is only a short walk from the station so ideal. All the staff were very friendly, and the food in both the evenings and at breakfast was very good. Breakfast for a fiver is exceptional value. It was also busy with lots of locals (unlike many of the other pubs in the town!) so I think this also proves how good it is. The only downside of this is that there can be some noise in the rooms until the bar shuts but not enough to be a problem. I would book here again if returning to the area.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have their bathroom along the corridor (still a private bathroom but not actually...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I have stayed at the Clothiers several times now and have yet to be dissapointed. After staying all over the country in poor accommodation and flat pack room's companys such as Travelodge offer, the clothiers with its relaxed atmosphere and homely feel is a breath of fresh air. Excellent clean rooms, quality food with very friendly amenable staff. Thank you and I look forward to returning in the future.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The four of us really enjoyed the stay. The room was great, food really good and the staff were all very helpful, friendly and hard working - a Good Team.
We also enjoyed Lilly B on music night.
Thank you for managing to fit in the rest of walking group on Saturday night.
Everyone enjoyed their visit and thought the food very good and good value
One said it was the best venison he had eaten - praise indeed.
So, all in all, A big Thank You from everyone

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

The service was wonderful, with a good mixture of friendly staff and great Food. Good location with a homely feel. Priced reasonably, comfy beds and clean rooms what more could you ask for!! Thanks for making my stay great!

• Stayed: September 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stroud
The Imperial Hotel
#1 of 1 in Minchinhampton
The Painswick
The Painswick
#1 of 1 in Painswick

Been to The Clothiers Arms? Share your experiences!