Tripadvisor
Stow-on-the-Wold
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews oldest pub in england the pub lovely old pub feature room street parking superior room roll top bath lamb bar area lovely room old building lovely place birthday treat pudding nespresso machine stayed here for one night cooked breakfast
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We had such a lovely lunch. The pub has been beautifully restored and has a lovely cosy ambience. Food was delicious and service was really friendly - can't ask for much more really! Would really recommend a visit.

Date of stay: February 2020
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
JamesOHanlon, General Manager at The Porch House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Hi there,

Thank you very much for your feedback! We are glad to hear that you loved the refurbishment and hope that you'll be back again soon!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Celebrating with friends this evening- loved the fresh smoked salmon starter and delicious butternut squash & goat’s cheese risotto. Rosé wine was light, could have been cooler. Appreciated the attentive service & welcoming atmosphere.

Date of stay: February 2020
Trip type: Traveled with friends

Hi there,

Thank you for your feedback. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed the food so much and have taken your feedback onboard. We hope that you will consider staying with us in the future!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Our first visit to this place, and it was a pure delight! the staff were very warm and friendly, the service was highly attentive without being intrusive. the food was gorgeous. i would have liked more pork in my roast dinner, but the rest of the portions were generous and delicious. the highlight of our visit was being given a guided tour by the manager explaining the history and stories this beautiful building holds. would highly recommend visiting here, and we cant wait to return.

Date of stay: January 2020
JamesOHanlon, General Manager at The Porch House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi there,

Thank you very much for your feedback and we are glad to hear that you had such a great time! We have passed on your feedback to the chef and hope that you will be back to visit very soon!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

This was our third visit to the Porch House, in the past it’s been a great location for good food whilst in Stow on the Wold. However, it’s seriously gone down the toilet. We were in Stow for my birthday so really wanted a nice dinner. Firstly they lost our booking. But as it’s January they had room to fit us in.
The couple next to us got their food and were not happy but we thought it’s been good before let’s see.
Our starters arrived, hubby ordered scallops- the plate looked awful. Lots of sloppy sauce (about 3cm thick of it on the plate) with a kind of brown dirt crumb on top with two over cooked scallops on top.
I ordered a tomato & feta tart. It was the size of a dinner plate (for a starter) this thing could have fed a family. It was also far too tart in the taste sense. I couldn’t eat it.
We were asked if there was any issue by the staff and when we said we were disappointed the manager grunted back whilst snatching up the plates ‘what’s wrong with it?’ Clearly not wanting to hear or care about our special meal out.
The couple on the right who had previously complained had an alternative dish arrive which was just as bad as the one they sent back.

The couple to the left were asked if their food was ok. They said it’s just ok, not what we had in mind for a romantic dinner.

Then our mains arrived and the main downfall.
Hubby ordered the duo of lamb, supposed to be a mini shepherds pie with rump with vegetables. Well. I usually love lamb and don’t shy if it’s a bit fatty. Well my hubby likes lean meat. This lamb rump was both fatty and literally raw. Even I couldn’t eat it. So he thought I’ll just have the mini shepherds pie. It was the grossest thing. It was dry mash potatoes with dry lamb underneath. No sauce or veg or anything else. I tasted some of the lamb from the pie. It was like a poached mutton or something. Really strong taste and dry. I couldn’t swallow it. And I love lamb! Basically the whole dish was not edible.

I’d ordered bone in sirloin. The sirloin was ok, but on the rare side of cooked, I had to give 1/2 of it to my hubby who said it was tasteless. The chips were like oil vats. I only ate one.

No one came to ask how the food was. When they eventually asked my hubby said terrible can we just get the bill to leave? The guy said I’ll take it off the bill (not oh I’m sorry that it’s not what you expected, or we have an issue in the kitchen today or care at all. Just I’ll take it off the bill like that makes it ok to ruin our Saturday night and my birthday).
The bill arrives, still with all the food on it, and the manager came over, my hubby says oh so what are you taking off the bill? The manager snatches back up the bill and says everything.
My hubby looks at the other waiter to confirm and says so just to check I don’t need to pay? The waiter says. He’s the manager referring to the other guy who had snatched up the bill.

By this point we were happy to leave but gutted to have had a terrible meal, bad service and seen two other couples have a ruined Saturday too.

Another couple sat down and we wanted to say don’t bother. They witnessed the bill drama so I’m hoping they didn’t stay.

Shame this has happened to what was a nice place. 5 star it most certainly is not!

Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Hi there,

Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time with us. The General Manager would very much like to discuss this further with you, if you could please contact him on gm@porch-house.co.uk it would be greatly appreciated. We hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Visited my favourite place to eat in stow on the wold today of course the porch house!! Always great service and the food never disappoints. Lovely 3 course meal starting with the salmon one of my favourite starters, then a melt in your mouth beef roast dinner followed by chocolate delice dessert. Really enjoyed my visit today will 100% be dinning again.

Trip type: Traveled with friends

Hi there,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are very happy to hear that you loved the food so much and hope that you will be back to dine with us once again!