All reviews residents lounge this family run hotel coach house church clock town square log fire vegetarian options four poster no lift old world charm lovely grounds olde worlde the main square for sunday lunch porridge two nights visiting the cotswolds
Selected filters
Reviewed May 29, 2019 via mobile

The food was excellent and the service was second to none. Would heartily recommend.

There was a lovely warm and welcoming atmosphere, and the staff were very bubbly and you felt they really cared and enjoyed what they were doing.

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2019

We stayed for a couple of night and wished we had stayed longer. The staff were brilliant - friendly and helpful but also happy to stop and say hello or chat. The room was quiet and comfortable with all the promised features. We had dinner one evening which was a real treat, they even had one of favourite and quite hard to find wines. This is a lovely old hotel in a beautiful town.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed May 16, 2019

Stow Lodge Hotel is a beautiful small hotel located on the edge of the Market Square and next to St. Edwards Church (Church of England), a 15th century building. The hotel building once was the church’s rectory. St. Edwards is renowned for its wooden door flanked by two 650-year-old yew trees. J.R.R. Tolkien fans claim that the doors were the inspiration for the Doors of Durin, leading into Moria in the Lord of the Rings. Our room (#10; £465 for three nights) overlooked the graveyard and rear of the church. During the day, we could listen to the lovely clock chimes too.

Stow Lodge Hotel has a large parking area. It is free.

Stow Lodge Hotel seemed to cater to a more mature clientele. (See below for more about this.) In fact, a sign of the front door advises, “we regret we cannot accept children under 5 years of age.” We did not see any school-age children at the hotel during our three-night stay. The guest information book lacks any mention of the availability of rollaway beds for children to sleep in your room, but there are rooms that can accommodate four people although some are limited to persons over fifteen years old. So, if traveling with school-age children, you should call the hotel to see what, if any, room might be appropriate.

Many of the rooms can only be accessed by climbing stairs, but there are a couple of rooms on the ground floor in the coach house. The coach house backs up to a busy road, so those rooms may be a bit noisier.

Our room was on the second floor (first floor for the English so remember when looking at rooms on the website, “first floor” rooms are on the building’s second floor). There was no lift so you need to be able to climb some stairs. The room was fairly large with a queen size bed, two lounge chairs, a small coffee table, desk and five-drawer bedside tables. The room amenities included an electric kettle, a selection of teas and coffee, a color TV, hair dryer and small electric fan. There was a wardrobe for hanging clothes. There was a phone, but it did not work.

The en suite bathroom was large with a tub/shower combination. Bath sheets and other nice towels (including wash clothes) were provided as well as shampoo, conditioner and shower gel (no hand or body lotion). Terry cloth robes and slippers, now standard in many B&Bs and small hotels, were not provided. The only electrical outlet in the bathroom was a 115/240-volt “shavers only” outlet so my wife had to use the hair dryer in the bedroom. (Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many people still use corded shavers as opposed to rechargeable ones, but I will admit, the outlet was convenient for use of my hair trimmer.) There also was what I assumed was a shower stool and, importantly, a shower mat to help prevent falls in the shower. Our room was quiet and the bed was comfortable.

The hotel has a residents lounge with overstuffed leather chairs and sofas, heated by a wood-burning fireplace. The lounge appeared to be a popular gathering place for the British guests to sit, have tea and exchange war time stories. There is a bar where you can purchase drinks and food and a restaurant where breakfast is served. The restaurant is open for lunch and dinner.

Free wifi was available throughout the hotel and in guest rooms. Several different SLH networks appeared on our wifi browser. We were told to select the one with the strongest signal for our location at the time in the hotel. The password was the same for all the networks. The wifi worked well.

A great feature of this hotel is its beautiful garden. You can eat here, including having afternoon tea, or (as was my preference) spend an hour or so recouping from sightseeing (and giving thanks for surviving the harrowing narrow roads) while sipping on a gin and tonic.

Breakfast was included in our room rate. Breakfast was served in the restaurant. We had the full English breakfast (poached, fried or scrambled eggs, ham, sausage, mushrooms, fried tomato, fried bread) with a choice of beverages (tea and coffee) and juices as well as fruits. There were vegetarian options too. The food and service were excellent.

The restaurant offers a two or three-course dinner. The menu changes daily. The first night we were there, nothing really appealed to us. But the last night, several menu items were of interest so we booked a table. We were not disappointed. My wife had a salad followed by roast pork loin with Bramley applesauce and I had French onion soup followed by a steak with Stilton cheese and port sauce. Both plates were very good. The table was elegantly set and the sides (mashed potatoes, sugar snap beans, baked carrots with ginger and honey and Italian potatoes) were served in stainless serving dishes. The service was friendly and prompt. (We understand that the young-women servers were members of the owner’s family.) Our two-course dinner with a bottle of wine was approximately $110.00.

We have to mention another great feature of Stow Lodge Hotel who adds to its character. That is Anthony. He tends bar and acts as a server in both the bar and restaurant. If you engage him in conversation, you will have an entertaining, but brief, conversation because he flits from one task to another making sure that the guests are brilliantly served. We asked him his name at our first encounter and he declined to give it because, we think, he doesn’t want any undue attention given to him. I admired his philosophy. A guest asked him, “Are you happy?” Anthony responded, “Of course. What do you gain if you are sad? Absolutely nothing. So, I’m happy.”

I mentioned the age of the clientele. It is not often that my wife and I joke that we lowered the average age of a place when we were present, but that certainly was the case at Stow Lodge Hotel. (I’m 70 years old; I’m not allowed to give my wife’s age.) Some reviewers have commented on the age of the people in the lounge. We sat in the lounge one evening and it was true that everyone there was much (and I mean much) older than us. There were no Americans there and there were no younger people. Don’t get me wrong – the English people we talked to were very friendly to us. However, we wonder how Stow Lodge Hotel will sustain itself as this older clientele fades away. We certainly hope that its owners have an innovative business plan to attract younger people so that it can continue on because it is a beautiful and inviting hotel.

Stow Lodge Hotel is not inexpensive, but is in a great location in a quaint town in the Cotswolds. Stow Lodge Hotel made a great home base for excursions to Chipping Camden, Burton-on-the-Water, Upper and Lower Slaughter and other picturesque villages in the Cotwolds. Stow Lodge Hotel has more of a hotel feel than a B&B, but unlike the large, impersonal hotels, staff was very attentive and helpful. We encourage those younger travelers to give it a try.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank SOCIAWG
Reviewed May 12, 2019 via mobile

Myself and my wife ate here and had the Sunday Lunch. Overall it was good value for money. It is a very impressive building and a lovely restaurant.
Looking at this the food was reasonably priced and decent quality.
I have had better Sunday lunches but it if you are in Stow it is worth a visit.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed May 9, 2019 via mobile

I found this hotel while on a walk through the village of Stow on the Wold. I was in the area for a week, had only arrived a few hours previous and was exhausted as well as deeply disappointed in the hotel I had chosen which was in the same village. The walled garden and flower lined path to Stow Lodge called to me and I went in with the hope that they might have a vacancy. They did and I moved hotels right away. It was a great decision and saved my vacation. Everyone at Stow Lodge is dedicated and committed to customer service. They go out of their way to make sure you are happy and comfortable. You feel like you’re in your own manor house...well, almost . Since I was by myself and didn’t have a car I was particularly pleased with how much everyone at the front desk helped me with suggestions, directions, and finding the right taxis to get me where I wanted to go. Huge shoutout to Deb and Nikki

Date of stay: April 2019