“Absolute heaven on earth - perfect”
Review of Stow Lodge Hotel

Stow Lodge Hotel
Reviewed September 18, 2009

When my husband and I got married in October 2008 we did not get chance for a honeymoon. We decided to spoil ourselves and have a weekend in the Cotswolds. Best thing we ever did. The hotel, service, staff, food, VFM were amazing. On checking in the staff were very helpful and polite. We had booked Room 8 which has a four poster bed. The room was amazing and SO comfortable. It over looks the church & cemetary but have to say even that was beautiful.

On our first night we went to the Old Butchers Restaurant for a meal. Both of us had steak which was cooked to perfection and the chips were not like any chips I have ever tasted in my life. Delicious. Worth a visit.

Breakfast at the hotel was a lovely experience. Tastefully decorated dining room with gentle music in the background, very light and airy. Staff were very polite and service was excellent. The breakfast was delicious, tasty and very filling!

We spent the day walking around the beautiful little village of Stow On The Wold and travelling around the local area which is outstanding. That evening we stayed at the hotel for a bar meal. Again the bar, service and staff were fantastic. We had the soup to start which was very tasty, hot and fresh. Our steaks again were cooked to perfection and all the food was cooked fresh. Lovely atmosphere.

My husband and I were very sad to leave as the hotel and staff made our 'honeymoon' weekend so very special.

I would highly recommend this hotel. So much in fact that we intend to go there EVERY year from now on for our anniversary.

I hope this has been of some use to you. You will not regret your visit.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DVDonovan
There are newer reviews for Stow Lodge Hotel

Reviewed August 18, 2009

We did not stay at the Stow Lodge but ate in the bar on Sunday evening. It was very relaxed and calm and the staff were extremely friendly, even reserving my dad the last piece of Bakewell Tart for pudding (with extra custard!). The food was freshly cooked, and very tasty. Excellent value for money.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank MCornell
Reviewed July 12, 2009

I visited Stow during the week of the Gypsy Fair, staying in a nearby B&B. The owner recommended the Stow Lodge Hotel for dinner, as they accept non-residents, and some of the other village restaurants are closed during this period.

The food was wonderful, very old-English style. As a 57 year old woman traveling alone, it can sometimes be uncomfortable having dinner alone, but the staff made me feel very welcome. The first night I chose a table near the window overlooking the church steeple, where I watched the swifts flying around until dusk.

The next night I returned and the staff were holding my same table for me. That night, there were two things on the menu that I really wanted, so I asked the staff about it. My waitress asked the chef, who said he'd get salmon in for me the next day as well, which I was able to enjoy the next night, even though it wasn't on the menu.

Terrific food, good portions, very pleasant and friendly staff. What more can you ask for? I may have been the youngest person there by a good 10 years, so if you're looking for trendy, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Nank4
Reviewed July 10, 2009

Very nice hotel in a fantastic location. if I had to find fault it would be that the shower in my room (10) was not fit for purpose, the pressure... well there wasn't any to speak of. Very good value for money. Good food, good wine and I would return.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cliff_7
Reviewed June 23, 2009

My family with two teenage children loved the hotel and the cute little village. We stayed in the Carriage House in the back within 3 charming rooms. The staff accomodated our family by providing an additional 3rd room at no charge (1 queen room, w/ wife; 1 double bedroom for daughther; 1 single bedroom for son). Very tasty food in the pub and a nice ale from Hook Norton. The full breakfast was very nice and the staff was always aiming to please. Easily accessible to the other small villages within the Cotswold's. Hat's off to the gardener... beautifully manicured gardens on the grounds. We particularly enjoyed relaxing with a good book in the recreation/book room. Definitely recommend as a romantic getaway in the english countryside

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Mike C
Reviewed March 1, 2009

It''s so nice to stay in a hotel where the staff are very friendly, service is great and they all look like they enjoy working there.
It's in a great location in the town centre with excellent parking.
Rooms are very clean and spacious, but have a cosy feel.
Lovely open fire with nice comfy sofas.
we also found it great value for money

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank amelia640xford
Reviewed June 3, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Stow Lodge Hotel for a week in late May 2008. Situated by the village square and the churchyard, the hotel used to be a building occupied by nuns. It is pleasantly "Old World" and was well run. Our bedroom was clean and fresh, looking out over the churchyard. The chiming of the clock wasn't a problem. Food was excellent; too much, if anything. Certainly, the puddings are not recommended for those with a weight problem. The staff were very helpful and friendly and they made our stay very comfortable. The large residents' lounge, which had a fire in it most evenings, enabled the guests to have long chin-wags until late into the evening. The garden, which is tended by one of the owners, is large and well maintained, excellent for sitting in the sun drinking tea or something stronger. The garden opens out onto the village square. Stow on the Wold is a most pleasant centre, with lots of antique shops. Car parking is in a secure walled car park.

The hotel is a very good centre for exploring the Cotswolds, with all the normal tourist locations being within easy reach. Particularly recommended are the mechanical music museum at Northleach and the church at Fairford. That church has the unly surviving set of late medieval glass in the country and it is well worth a visit. The tourist shops in the villages surrounding Stow sell the sort of tat which comes by the container load from China, but they can be ignored. There are lots of antique shops at Morton in the Marsh, at Chipping Campden and at Broadway. There is a decent antiques centre outside Chipping Norton. Hidcote gardens are good. Sudeley castle was disappointing, with none of the main castle being open to visitors on the day we went there. There are excellent National Trust properties in the area, partcularly Upton House.

In summary, we recommend the hotel as a base for a comfortable stay while exploring the Cotswolds. We will return to it.

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank Moultermike
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow-on-the-Wold
Sheep on Sheep Street
Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa
Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa
#4 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Restaurant
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Rest...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
The Slaughters Country Inn
The Slaughters Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Lower Slaughter
White Hart Royal Hotel
White Hart Royal Hotel
#1 of 3 in Moreton-in-Marsh

Been to Stow Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!