“Was expecting so much more...”
Review of Stow Lodge Hotel

Stow Lodge Hotel
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I had booked this hotel with such high expectations...maybe that was my fault. I liked the idea of it being a former rectory, a historical building and gardens. It seemed so charming on paper, and from the outside it was. But it is a bit-run down and shows it age and not in a good historical sense either. It might seem trivial,but our bed was too soft...I mean like marshmallow soft. But they did have large fluffy towels. I think they cater to an older clientele (and we are in our 50's and were the youngest ones there by decades). When we asked for restaurant recommendations (after being told that their restaurant was full that evening) we were told that they couldn't recommend any place else in Stow on the Wold. They could tell us other restaurant names, but they all had mixed reviews from other guests. We did eat in their restaurant another night of our 3 night stay. And the food was good. I had the chicken curry and my husband had the haddock. I think our interaction with the staff just seemed so impersonal, that it affected our stay. I think we will look for another village in the Cotswold to stay in next time.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 23louise
There are newer reviews for Stow Lodge Hotel

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Stayed at Stow Lodge for 4 days from 1st of March. The weather was chilly but the welcome from the staff, the log fires in the lounge and the bar and the general ambiance and charm of the hotel certainly warmed us up.
We were in room 5 and our friends were in room 2. Both rooms, although slightly different in design were clean comfortable and the radiators were very effective. The bed was traditionally made with sheets and blankets but a duvet is available on request if that is your preference. We both can attest to the comfort of the bed and I personally slept all night, a luxury I rarely enjoy in my own bed. The bathroom and toilet were clean and the shower was good and maintained a constant temperature.
We ate in both the restaurant and bar and easily found dishes to our liking. Breakfast was good.
All of the staff we came into contact with polite and keen to help. We only found out two of their names, Jonathan and Debbie but all were excellent.
Overall we had very enjoyable time. The location and hotel have an "olde worlde" charm that provided for a relaxing break and I have no hesitation in recommending them.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Lovely Hotel with character located right in centre of town with ample car parking. Our room in the stable block had all the necessaries, including a hair dryer and tea and coffed making facilites, it was compact but comfortable and very clean. Longer stays (we booked for 2 nights) are allocated rooms in the main house. Staff very friendly, breakfast plenty of choice and happy to take bespoke orders. Dinner excellent and good value considering the quality.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Had a meal here and was pleasantly surprised at the quality and cost. Robert, the bar man on duty at the time of our visit was very pleasant and courteous when serving our drinks and food, would definitley recommend anyone to come here for a home cooked dinner.

1  Thank shazduck_11
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Firstly i would like to thank everyone at Stow Lodge for making our stay so lovely . my husband and myself have been visitors at this lovely hotel for the past 20 years . We try and visit 3 to 5 times each year .Its like home from home
The staff are so friendly ,Nothing is too much trouble .
The rooms are warm , Clean ,The beds are so comfatable .We stayed in room 16 this time , its quite small ,but has loads of charm .
The Breakfasts are fit for a king , and set you up for the day .
We love sitting in the lounge ,with a glass of wine , around the log fire .
I cant wait for our next visit
Julie and Peter Masterson , Nottingham .
I would recomend this family run hotel ,

1  Thank Julie M
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I would start by saying the staff were really sweet, especially the young man who seemed in charge in the restaurant, but, and its a very big BUT, the hotel is really dated, the beds do not have duvets they have pink blankets and a sheet (very basic), the room was cold when we arrived and we had to put on the radiators. Bathroom also very basic and small. The most important factor however was as vegetarians who ordered a vegetarian meal in the restaurant we were presented with potatoes cooked in lard. We were not told this and only after taking a bite, when it was obvious and we asked were we told this was the case. Furthermore the bakewell tart pastry is also made with beef lard. I appreciate we may be a minority group as vegetarians but to not make the ingredients clear seems to me really bad practice.
Upon arrival there was an overwhelming smell of air freshener and in the room bleach.
It felt slightly like a care home!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank judiko
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Stow Lodge Hotel has it all - comfortable, clean and well equipped en suite rooms, a bar and a restaurant serving tasty food and its right on the market square in beautiful Stow on the Wold. What really makes the hotel are the staff - so friendly and welcoming. they really can't do enough for you. we were mainly looked after by the Fab Four - Shirley, Debbie, Nicky and the truly wonderful Anthony. We can't wait to return!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mandy2768
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow-on-the-Wold
Sheep on Sheep Street
Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa
Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa
#4 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Restaurant
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Rest...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
The Slaughters Country Inn
The Slaughters Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Lower Slaughter
White Hart Royal Hotel
White Hart Royal Hotel
#1 of 3 in Moreton-in-Marsh

Been to Stow Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!