The Unicorn Hotel
$195
The White Hart Stow(Stow-on-the-Wold)
$117
$113
  • Restaurant
The Porch House(Stow-on-the-Wold)(Great Value!)
$156
The Old Stocks Inn(Stow-on-the-Wold)
$177
Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa(Stow-on-the-Wold)
$196
$150
  • Breakfast included
Sheep on Sheep Street(Stow-on-the-Wold)(Great Value!)
$111
The Kings Arms Hotel(Stow-on-the-Wold)
$134
Cotswold Garden Tearooms & B&B(Stow-on-the-Wold)(Great Value!)
$95
$92
  • Breakfast included
The Bell at Stow(Stow-on-the-Wold)(Great Value!)
$152
Stow Lodge Hotel(Stow-on-the-Wold)
$147
All reviewstraffic lightsold coaching innunderfloor heatingbusy road junctiondining tableliving areaself cateringshort strollbooked last minutethree nightstop floorpubs and restaurantsfantastic locationa lovely stayone night staybiscuitscoffee machine
Reviewed August 10, 2008

Earlier last year my partner and I enjoyed a one night stay at The Unicorn booked through late rooms. On the basis of this I decided to book The unicorn for my family christmas to include myself, my sister and my parents who are well into their eighties.

I paid the deposit and we all looked forward to christmas. I accepted that this would not be inexpensive (It was around £2000) but I wanted to treat my family.

Unfortunately my sister contracted near fatal meningitis and could not make the trip from Ireland. I informed The Unicorn of this so that they might re-let her room. The christmas package included all meals and some entertainment.

To cut a long story short, we did not take part in christmas eve afternoon tea or christmas morning breakfast as my parents are light eaters.

Our christmas lunch was served in the public bar as the restaurant appeared to have been pre-booked by non resident local diners. The delay between courses was excessive as the staff chatted to regulars. My christmas meal was inedible.

It was explained that the chef had walked out. The evening meal was an unexciting buffet, not improved by the excessive display of salmon.
A paying friend of ours joined us for boxing day lunch but unfortunately my mother's and my 'salmon' was uncooked. So yet again the meal was a disaster.

The manager joined me at the table and apologised for the on-going farse and promised that we would have the best food and service that evening. He also offered to make a financial consideration to our final bill.

That evening meal consisted of overbearing, inexperienced waiting staff and luke warm food. On leaving the following morning I discovered the bill included coffee served on christmas morning, the deposit for my sister's room (Which I knew had been re-let) and our guest's meal for boxing day. There was no sign of any financial compensation for the worst christmas ever. When I questioned this at reception they said I should contact the manager.

I sent several emails and made telephone calls and eight months later I am still awaiting a reply.

Although some of the staff were lovely and extremely apologetic, I would advise strongly to avoid the Unicorn especially for Christmas and important events.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank TracyBrent
Reviewed August 3, 2008

I did not stay at the hotel, but visited the restaurant to see if the food selection was suitable for my aging parents. Because they have difficulty walking, they stayed in my car in the car park across the road while I reviewed the menu. On finding they did not have suitable food selections, I asked the barman for the code to exit the car park, which has a barrier to prevent cars leaving. He refused to give me the code unless I paid 2.50 pounds parking fee, or bought something from the bar. I politely explained that I had been in the car park for 5 minutes in order to check the restaurant menu, which was not suitable for my parents. He refused to give me the code unless I paid - basically keeping my car hostage! Rather than causing a scene (my parents were waiting) I purchased a beer as that was cheaper than paying 2.50. I got the code and left. Frankly, this was some of the worst customer relations I have ever seen.

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed July 23, 2008

One of the best hotels I'v ever stayed in. Such friendly and helpful staff. Will be returning soon for a longer stay.

Dinner was fab and so much choice for breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 21, 2008

We stayed at the Unicorn for Saturday night this past weekend. We went there a year and half ago and had a lovely meal and decided to go back in summer.

It was a really mixed weekend and I don't think I would go back.

The good
We booked DBB, the dinner was fantastic and really good value
The garden is lovely, especially in summer
Downstairs bar area is great to hang out in

The bad
The staff (mainly Polish) are very sullen and never smile. We accidently left our mobile phone in the room when we left and returned a couple of hours later. The phone was no-where to be found and had been turned off. My opinion is that the housekeeping staff must have found the phone when they cleaned the room and decided to supplement their wages! The manager was totally unhelpful and quite rude when we asked about the phone - the whole experience just left a really bad taste in our mouths.

Breakfast is very average and the servings are mean - for £160 a night I think 2 eggs for breakfast would be reasonable!

Altogether I think you're taking a risk with this hotel and it's not worth the money!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank happytraveller27
Reviewed June 12, 2008

I booled this hotel for a long weekend break for my husband and I. We were in a "superior room" number 10 and we were very dissapointed as it was not what we expected. As mentioned in a previous review ( wish I had read it before I booked) the room was small, dark and there was a lot of noise and petrol and diesel fumes. If you had the window open it was unbearable as the room was facing right on to the main road and our window was just above the traffic lights so we had to keep the window closed all week-end which was not good as it was a hot sunny weekend when we stayed here. The breakfast was not as good as it could have been and certainly we have had better and paid a lot less for it. The best part of this hotel is the comfortable Lounge area but apart from that we were not very impressed and would not stay here again. The staff were very good and we could not really find fault but all I can say is look around more as there are better hotels for the money.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple