“very poor service”
Review of The Unicorn Hotel

The Unicorn Hotel
Reviewed August 3, 2008

I did not stay at the hotel, but visited the restaurant to see if the food selection was suitable for my aging parents. Because they have difficulty walking, they stayed in my car in the car park across the road while I reviewed the menu. On finding they did not have suitable food selections, I asked the barman for the code to exit the car park, which has a barrier to prevent cars leaving. He refused to give me the code unless I paid 2.50 pounds parking fee, or bought something from the bar. I politely explained that I had been in the car park for 5 minutes in order to check the restaurant menu, which was not suitable for my parents. He refused to give me the code unless I paid - basically keeping my car hostage! Rather than causing a scene (my parents were waiting) I purchased a beer as that was cheaper than paying 2.50. I got the code and left. Frankly, this was some of the worst customer relations I have ever seen.

Stayed: August 2008

Reviewed July 23, 2008

One of the best hotels I'v ever stayed in. Such friendly and helpful staff. Will be returning soon for a longer stay.

Dinner was fab and so much choice for breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 21, 2008

We stayed at the Unicorn for Saturday night this past weekend. We went there a year and half ago and had a lovely meal and decided to go back in summer.

It was a really mixed weekend and I don't think I would go back.

The good
We booked DBB, the dinner was fantastic and really good value
The garden is lovely, especially in summer
Downstairs bar area is great to hang out in

The bad
The staff (mainly Polish) are very sullen and never smile. We accidently left our mobile phone in the room when we left and returned a couple of hours later. The phone was no-where to be found and had been turned off. My opinion is that the housekeeping staff must have found the phone when they cleaned the room and decided to supplement their wages! The manager was totally unhelpful and quite rude when we asked about the phone - the whole experience just left a really bad taste in our mouths.

Breakfast is very average and the servings are mean - for £160 a night I think 2 eggs for breakfast would be reasonable!

Altogether I think you're taking a risk with this hotel and it's not worth the money!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank happytraveller27
Reviewed June 12, 2008

I booled this hotel for a long weekend break for my husband and I. We were in a "superior room" number 10 and we were very dissapointed as it was not what we expected. As mentioned in a previous review ( wish I had read it before I booked) the room was small, dark and there was a lot of noise and petrol and diesel fumes. If you had the window open it was unbearable as the room was facing right on to the main road and our window was just above the traffic lights so we had to keep the window closed all week-end which was not good as it was a hot sunny weekend when we stayed here. The breakfast was not as good as it could have been and certainly we have had better and paid a lot less for it. The best part of this hotel is the comfortable Lounge area but apart from that we were not very impressed and would not stay here again. The staff were very good and we could not really find fault but all I can say is look around more as there are better hotels for the money.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2008

My husband and I love stow on the wold, it is not too far to travel from home, yet you feel a million miles away from city hussle and bussle.
I chose The Unicorn Hotel as a suprise birthday treat for my husband, thus choosing the more expensive superior room. From the website photo's it was perceived to expect a four poster bed for £295 for 2 nights.
On our arrival the staff were very welcoming and offered to carry our bags. No concerns with the attitude of the staff.
We were shown to our 'superior room; no.10' and we instantly felt an overwhelming feeling of shear dissapiontment. The room was small and the bed was made up from 2 individulas and it rocked on one side when you sat on it. The bed spread was filthy with lots of stains on it, (we took it off straight away). The room was directly above the traffic lights and on the main road but the niose level was solved via the double window closure. There were no other rooms available for the stay so a move was out of the question.
The down stairs bar was a delight and the food was very good but expensive in the evenings. The breakfast was fanstic with a wide chioce to suit all,
The service within the bar and resturant was non faultable, the staff were most polite and eager to please.
With a face lift on the interior rooms and new or even clean bed dress would enhance the beauty of the hotel and not so tired looking.
Overall, we found the stay over priced for the quality of rooms offered.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2008

Stayed during March 2008. The hotel is firstly situated on the main road through Stow and is thus noisey. We stayed in room 11; dreadful! Firstly it smelt as if somebody had let off an air freshener hand grenade. This was a particular problem during the night as we had to keep the window fully open and hence had the wonderful sound of traffic to serenade us.
Secondly the room must have originally been a linen closet as it was very small with no place for luggage. The en-suite facility was dangerous. The towel rail which you could have fried an egg on was situated immediately next to the toilet resulting in a burnt leg!
We purchased a room £110 per night with breakfast included. In all fairness the breakfast wasn't too bad. Although fruit salad should not be served on a hot plate! The staff were also rude asking us to move to another table as the one in the window was not available since it had been laid for dinner already at 9am!
Overall don't stay in this hotel. Spend that little bit extra and enjoy your visit to Stow.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2008

To be honest, avoid this hotel. After spending some time looking around hotels in the Cotswolds, we decided on the unicorn.
The hotel is expensive for what it is, with a room costing us about £155 per night.
The rooms were dated, with mould and mildew in the bathrooms, the blind in the bathroom also had mould all the way down.
The towel rail heater in the bathroom had a loose electrical connection – always good in an area where there’s water!
We only stopped for one night, check in time was 2.30pm and check out was by 10.30am ... which of course makes for a relaxing break in the Cotswolds when you have to be up for 8am to get a chance of breakfast and be out of your room!
Leading on from that , breakfast ... menu looked great – I ordered a full English – when it arrived the sausage and bacon were cold , and when I say cold I mean cold , not even the slightest glimmer of warmth in them.
All in all , an overpriced hotel then on its website shows the lounge area and one of the suites – which happen to be the two nicest rooms in the hotel.
Avoid!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow-on-the-Wold
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Restaurant
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Rest...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
#1 of 2 in Lower Slaughter
Stow Lodge Hotel
Stow Lodge Hotel
#5 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to The Unicorn Hotel? Share your experiences!