“tried so hard but did not hit the spot”
Review of The Unicorn Hotel

The Unicorn Hotel
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stayed overnight at the Unicorn and the staff could not have been nicer.
The room was very clean and tidy with a good bed. The hotel was old and clearly had a history to it.

We left an item in the room when we left and they kindly posted back to us.

It was deeply unfortunate that they were unable to cater for my dietary need (I am a vegan). We specifically chose The Unicorn as it specifies they can cater for specific dietary needs and they confirmed they could do this at the point of booking. This statement also appears on their menus.
When we arrived our host stated they had food for me. We were then phoned late in the evening to be informed what they had purchased was not in fact suitable and it was suggested we may be able to purchase something whilst out. This was not convenient so we did not do this.
I left the following morning having had no breakfast (no milk available for me to have cereals/no marg available for me to have toast/ no yogurt and no cooked food.

It would have been nice to have received an apology or a part refund.

Room Tip: Check the size of the bathrooms. The one we had was small and it was a bit if a challenge to reach t...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
UnicornHotel, General Manager at The Unicorn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

I really did my best to meet your expectations and I did apologize when I could not source the product which you required.
I did also tell you that we do have almond milk but you have stated "wrongly" in your review that you did not have any milk for breakfast, the item I could not source was Soya margarine and the Chef did go out of his way to source Vegan sausages but Vegetarian Sausages were delivered in error.
Sometimes life is not perfect and mistakes can occasionally be made! even in top Hotels where you pay £350 a night rather than £85 as in this case

The "host" you mentioned was me, The General Manager, I did call you to tell you that I could not acquire the items.
I cannot see anywhere on our website or menus that "we cater for specific dietary needs" but we will always try and be flexible in the way we cook items so that certain diets can be catered for.
The Unicorn will always try to please all it's guests most of the time but it is not always possible to please everyone all the time particularly with regards to certain food items. We are a small value for money Hotel and we do not always have the staff to run around sourcing specialist items but we will always do our best for the guest.

It is also "deeply unfortunate" that your review is not entirely accurate so please do more research before you attempt another scathing review because it is rather unnecessary.

Yours

Reviewed August 29, 2013

A friend and I stayed for 1 night in a twin room that was very comfortable.Yes it needs some updating,but as other reviews state,it was built in 1642 and they weren't built with ensuites etc then, so i think you have to look through some of the decor and imagine what this historic building was like then and what it will be like in the future.The beds were really comfy,and would have had a great night sleep except for the church dongs on the hour (obviously not the Hotel's fault and it was quaint) and we are both very light sleepers.The lounge area was gorgeous,and the bar was lovely.We had Bed/breakfast and evening meal, and the food was lovely.It was in a great position for visiting other beautiful areas of the Cotswolds.The car park although across a busy main road, was very handy and not a problem.The staff were brilliant and very friendly so would definitely stay there again if in the area.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 12 and If we had fully closed the double glazing,we may not have heard the bells.T...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sue I
UnicornHotel, General Manager at The Unicorn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

It was good of you to praise the staff for their efforts - Thank you - I will pass on your comments to them.

We will be refurbishing soon with the hope that it does not detract from the character of the building

Kind regards

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I booked this Hotel using the Trip Advisor reviews, and Google Maps (street level), which clearly shows the position its in on the corner of a VERY BUSY road junction, we chose a superior room overlooking the Main A429 road and the traffic lights, while this could have been a bad choice it turned out ok, the traffic peaks midday and is fairly light in evening and night time.

The room (11) was spacious, and nicely decorated, with two small armchairs for relaxing, the bathroom had a Bath with shower attached, the head of which was a little strange, being bar shaped instead of a rose, but lots of pressure. The side of the bath was in need of a little TLC, and the floor felt a little slippery at times due to a small slope on it, this could be a problem at night when half asleep using it barefoot !.

Accepting that the Hotel goes back to 1840 it has been kept updated and is wearing well, the floor in our room was VERY uneven, which you would expect in this age Hotel, and there is no way you can creep up to bed late without someone hearing you through the many narrow corridors leading up to it.

The residents lounge consists of two small but cosy areas, opposite reception, which have been very nicely decorated, and are pleasant to relax in.
The Bar is used for meals during the week, and is very quaint and oldie worldie the candles on the tables being a nice touch, with a lovely atmosphere to eat or drink in, at busy times and for breakfast the Restaurant is open, which is bright and has a more modern theme.

The Menu had a good choice, and the food was served promptly and hot, nicely cooked and presented, our appetites could not do justice to all the courses, but we did our best.

The key to the success of any Hotel is the Staff, and ALL the people we met on our visit were excellent, although at times they seemed under pressure, and a little short staffed, they always had time to chat, and ensure that you had enjoyed your meal, and nothing was too much trouble.

The Hotel is positioned on the Corner of a Main road (A429) and the turn into Stow itself, this is ideal to walk into Stow, the shops and main square being 5 mins away, traffic is heavy around this area at times so no need to move your car, which can be parked in the Private Car Park (gated) across the road, flood lit at night.

Our only criticism is really the positioning, and the outside decor of the Hotel, this may put you off at a glance as it needs some updating, try to look past this and go inside and you will be pleasantly surprised, and get a nice welcome ...

Tip for those with smaller appetites :

We chose Dinner Bed and Breakfast, which was good value provided you could manage all the three courses, it may have been more economical to have B&B and choose from the menu, one two or three courses according to how hungry you felt, also we prefer to eat a little earlier in the evening, six being a better time, meals here start at seven. (our personal choice).

Room Tip: Room 11 (superior) overlooks Main A429, spacious nicely decorated, can be noisy with windows open, a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
UnicornHotel, General Manager at The Unicorn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay here and I do think that your review is a very accurate description of The Unicorn and the general ambiance here.

I will look at smaller portions as I have heard that the portions are a little on the large side from from a number of customers.

Hop to see you back

All the best

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Really quaint hotel - had read other reviews and been warned about road noise - we had a room on the village side of the hotel and this was great. Had a superior room and so had a bit more space. It's a simple hotel, clean and had great staff - would stay again as a great location to visit the Cotswolds.

Room Tip: Rooms on road leading to village are quieter - we had No. 3 - this was lovely.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

There have been a number of comments about road noise but if you do keep the double glazing closed at night as I have mentioned in other responses then it is minimal but strangely, room 3 does not have double glazing so I am pleased that you were not troubled by any noise

Best regards

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Our booking for three nights BB & dinner was in hindsight a big mistake. We should have booked BB only, and then would have had a better choice of meals in the evening in Stowe on the Wold.

As stated by previous reviewers, we found the hotel best described as tired and shabby and could do with substantial investment. Carpets threadbare, decoration in parts badly required, and indeed, there is still a light bulb and holder hanging from the ceiling.in the breakfast room.

I am not using this site to deal with badly bruised fingers caused when I closed the window in the restaurant.

The bedroom - must be one of the smallest I have used in more than fifty years - the shower was so small - just about fitted into it - the room was dark & dismal

The meal on the third night i.e. August 23rd was a sheer waste of effort and money, and I suspect that there was shortage of a capable cook in the kitchen.

Garlic mushrooms arrived within minuites of ordering - cold, sent it back.
A top steak ordered well done, arrived cremated.
For desserts - a creme brulee, must have made a journey back to France - after a lenghthy period and a reminder to the waiter, this arrived about 20/25 mins after ordering. This is not an item which requires preparation..

A return visit to The Unicorn Hotel is not on the cards.

1  Thank John42Manchester

I have to say that 99% of our customers are lovely people but it seemed that whatever we did for you was wrong and when greeting you or saying good morning you completely ignored us.

You were very adamant that there would need to be changes in the menu on the third night and when my assistant manager told you that this had been done you did not believe her until she read out all the specific changes. There is a choice of 6 starters - 9 main courses and 5 desserts which should be enough for most people but not for you. I didn't see you smile at any point in your stay and I believe that blaming The Hotel is a poor excuse as you did not mention anything during your stay. I do hope that you feel better now.

Yours Faithfully

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Having researched many reviews we chose The Unicorn Hotel for a 2 night break. We booked the dinner, bed and breakfast rate - really pleased as the food was delicious! The staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. A comfortable lounge for guests use as well as the bar and restaurant. The hotel is very oldy worldy and furnished accordingly. It was a welcome break from the mainstream hotels that all look the same! The room was furnished well, lots of storage and an impressive refreshment tray which was refilled daily. A nice bathroom with bath and shower. . The breakfast was superb and we were informed that the restaurant sources all its meats from a local butcher, this was evident. A lovely stay and would return on another occasion.

Room Tip: We had room five, very nice
1  Thank Lisajg166

It was nice of you to write this review and I am please you enjoyed the food and your whole experience here.

Best wishes

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I booked two nights in a "superior" room. We left after one night. Superior to what I have to ask? The room was very tired with shabby knocked and scratched furniture, a bathroom without bath and with badly cracked floof tiles with a large proportion of the grouting missing which presented a very unhygienic effect. Very noisy from the main road, the room upstairs and the bathroom fan which didn't want to switch off. We could get no sleep at all.
The dining room wasn't open in the evening which turned out to be a blessing as the Full English breakfast wasn't an experience I ever want to repeat, over cooked ,possibly reheated and greasy. I left it!!
I did complain to the waitress who said she would pass my comment to the "chef".
Looking up at the dining room ceiling which had a large gaping hole in it did nothing to inspire confidence.
The only reason that I haven't rated this stay as terrible is that the charming manageress was very understanding and did all she could to help. We were offered another room on an upper floor but declined as we didn't want to wait until the occupant had checked out so that we could see it and the prospect of another breakfast there was more than I could stomach!
This was our 30th wedding anniversary and we had stayed in the hotel some twenty years before. It was sad to see such a decline in the condition of what had once been a lovely old hotel of high standards in foof and accomodation.

2  Thank 956roger
UnicornHotel, General Manager at The Unicorn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay here and I am sorry that you did not have an enjoyable stay.

The rooms are old fashioned in decor and this is reflected in the price which is £95 per room midweek including full English breakfast in the heart of The Cotswolds and the reason that your room is "superior" is that it is larger than the standard rooms. Some of the rooms have power shower cubicles which some guests prefer rather than stepping over a bath but we did offer you a different room but you declined. The room is not noisy you simply need to slide the double glazing closed and there is a large pedestal fan in each room to keep you cool if the windows are closed at night.

The grouting in the bathroom had recently been redone but had not set properly in a couple of the tiles - This was caused by a bad leak which went through the restaurant ceiling. The ceiling was not repaired deliberately until a solution to the leak was found .

The food including breakfast is normally highly praised by our guests and it certainly is not "reheated" but cooked fresh each morning. The "dining room" is not closed for dinner but we serve dinner in the lovely large bar area during the week and use the larger more modern dining room for breakfast.

I do hope that these comments help to explain things and I do hope that your expectations can be met elsewhere.

Yours faithfully

Chris Martin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow-on-the-Wold
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Restaurant
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Rest...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
#1 of 2 in Lower Slaughter
Stow Lodge Hotel
Stow Lodge Hotel
#5 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to The Unicorn Hotel? Share your experiences!