“Much, much better than we'd expected.”
Review of The Unicorn Hotel

The Unicorn Hotel
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Previous reviews ranged from very positive to seriously destructive. We were worried by the negative ones and prepared for a disappointment but it wasn't like that. We found the staff completely charming, warm, friendly and very helpful especially, I have to say, the Eastern Europeans whose English was excellent and who were very complimentary about my rudimentary Czech! We had a superior double (four-poster bed, the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in) which was spotlessly clean and had all we needed. Some critics had described the decor as tired, I could see what they meant but I felt the room had character, rather more than some of the more modern hotels we've stayed in recently. The public areas (bar, lounge, restaurant) were perfectly comfortable and, with a greater number of guests or customers, would have exhibited a very pleasant atmosphere. It wasn't particularly cheap but, then, nowhere in the Cotswolds is cheap nowadays. I felt it was pretty good value for money.
My only serious criticism concerns the food. Continental breakfast, though well-presented, well-served and as much as you wanted, was rather limited in variety given the cost of the B&B. The evening meals menu was quite basic, acceptable but in no way exciting. My wife and I do not appreciate large portions so it suited us but I could imagine bigger eaters would not have seen it as value for money. But there are plenty of other places to eat in Stow.
All in all, we really enjoyed our short stay. We didn't find it at all deserving of the really negative reviews and, if more interesting/exciting food could be provided, I'd be happy to change my rating to excellent. With a little more investment and imagination, it could well achieve 4* status.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
UnicornHotel, General Manager at The Unicorn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2011

Thank you for your lovely comments about the staff and your stay here. I do try to vary the menu and the portion sizes are normally substantial as there are main course dishes such as Beef Bouguignon with mash and green beans, Beer battered fish and hand cut chips, Catalan chicken with chorizo and vegetables in a sherry jus and warm chocolate fondant.

I do hope that I can welcome you back to the Unicorn.

Reviewed July 3, 2011

Stayed here overnight recently, the hotel is an old coaching inn but it was clean and tidy and the staff that we met were very helpful and efficient. Our room was at the back of the hotel which meant one going up one flight of stairs and along a few passages until we reached it. It was clean and tidy and we had a good nights sleep. There was the distant sound of the church clock striking and also the occasional vehicles on the main road but nothing to disturb. The bathroom was also clean and tidy.

The evening meal was fine and although we had a slight mix up with the order, this was rectified without problems. Breakfast was plain and simple with plenty of cereals, croissants, pastries and toast, as well as cheeses and ham, so that we didn't feel hungry. In fact it was a pleasant change not to be overindulged with the normal Full English. The hotel does advertise 'Continental' style breakfast so why complain about it?

The car park is just across the road and there is plenty of space however it is gravel so might get a bit puddley when wet. There is a pedestrian gateway from it by the traffic lights so it is no distance to walk,

All in all it is more than adequate for a couple of nights visiting the beautiful Cotswolds.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
UnicornHotel, Manager at The Unicorn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2011

Thank you for your kind review and that you had an enjoyable stay. The church bells do add character to the town but can be heard from some of the rooms however we do have secondary glazing in most of the rooms. The entrance to the car park has now been re surfaced so it is much smoother. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Unicorn.

Reviewed June 26, 2011

We stayed here on a Saturday night to attend a friends wedding and my parents were also staying at the hotel to baby sit our son. Both rooms were a decent size and very clean but everything in them was completely out of date and worn out. The bathroom looked like it had last been updated in the 1970's. The spare bed in my parents room had springs poking out of the mattress it was so old.
My parents ate in the restaurant and said the food was very good but the evening was somewhat spoiled by rain water pouring down one of the interior walls.
And breakfast was dismal, just some cereals and toast with no cooked breakfast available.
Overall I thought it was far too expensive but I couldn't fault the helpfulness and general friendliness of the staff.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and regarding the refurbishment of the rooms, it is planned for the future but we do reduce prices to reflect that but I cannot comment on yoour individual reservation cost as your review is anominous. The building dates back to 1642 so we do have leaks and maintenance issues which are rectified as soon as is possible but I do hope that it did not detract from you evening too much. The continental breakfast is a buffet so guests can eat as much or as little as they choose and consists of fresh fruit salad, homebaked danish pastries and croissants, fresh finger rolls, quality gammon ham, cheeses, quality toast, cereals, fruit juices, normal and herbal teas and coffee. Our rates do vary depending on the time of year, mid week or weekend and we do set out to be value for money.
Chris martin

Reviewed May 28, 2011

We did not stay at this hotel but since we were passing through we decided to stop for a lunch time meal. I have two issues with this hotel and the first one was the food. We ordered from a very expensive menu for a lunch meal and when it arrived to be honest it was disgusting, not home cooked or even nicely presented and it was not even cooked properly but before I had a chance to complain I now I come to the second issue. Before we even had a chance to really eat this meal my father was taken ill suddenly and an ambulance had to be called, as you can imagine there was chaos to say the least so the last thing on our minds was this dreadful food. We were told that we had to pay full price for the food (can you inagine this) before we left until I complained while my father was being treated by a paramedic and we were discounted one meal. The manager seemed a decent person but I have to say in view of what was going on absolutley no compassion. Just another money grabbing hotel and we will never go there ever again and I will certainly not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2011
3  Thank jojo0811
UnicornHotel, General Manager at The Unicorn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2011

I was somewhat shocked when I read this review as I had been as helpful and understanding as possible redarding your fathers illness.
We offer a 2 course lunch for £12.50 from our normal menu so that it is in fact good value for money. I understand from the waitress that you had asked her if we can do childrens portions for you although you are adults but we can offer sandwickes or starters.
On realising that your father was taken ill, I was very concerned as I have seen this condition before so I called a paramedic and waited outside for them to arrive so that I could direct them to your father, I then made myself available for you and the paramedics. The bill was presented to you automatically but due to your predicament, I discounted one of the meals as a gesture of good will. The meal was not touched by yourselves therefore It cannot be described as "disgusting" and everyone who ate that day was very happy.
I certainly was compassionate and very concerned for your father's welfare and was appalled at your comments particuarly as you had said how helpful I was when you were here.

Chris martin

Reviewed May 22, 2011

Didnt stay here but ate here twice during our stay in the Cotswolds. Food is consistently good and the main courses especially are very good value for money, Had also eaten here last year and the food was also good at that time. The European waitress was extremely competent and helpful. Only complaint is that the Manager was not helpful, did not explain himself well when we arrived and was rather abrupt - had we not eaten here earlier in our stay the "welcome" we gave would have been enough to turn us away.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank theresa48

Thank you for your constructive words about your experience at The Unicorn. I am sorry that I did not come across as welcoming, I can assure you that it was a rare occurance and will endeavour to get it right next time.

Reviewed April 29, 2011

We stayed here for one night and found the Unicorn a lovely surprise, the rooms were very comfortable and clean and the staff were exceptionaly friendly and met every request with a smile and a quick response.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank aussietrippers00
Reviewed March 15, 2011

This hotel claims to be a gem and its not, i stayed here a few years ago and can see that nothing has changed by the recent updates, management and service was dreadful despite a supposed superior room, crisps out of date, could not get mini bar restocked because manager had taken keys home by mistake. Offered any table in restaurant only to be moved half way through meal because someone else came in and had reserved table we were given by manager. Complained but manager was just rude. Wouldnt stay here again if you paid me its that bad!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank premiershopfitters
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow-on-the-Wold
Sheep on Sheep Street
Sheep on Sheep Street
#3 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Restaurant
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Rest...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
#4 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Stow Lodge Hotel
Stow Lodge Hotel
#5 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to The Unicorn Hotel? Share your experiences!