“Tranquil retreat”

Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

Spent a fantastic couple of days at the wyck hill house hotel and spa for our anniversary though we were supposedly not to get our room until 2pm got in about 1.30 then to our stress buster massage at 2.15pm really nice (thanks Tiffany) though I could have done with it being a bit firmer (I think she enjoyed it as much as I) then to the bar for a large gin and tonic about £8 a go then to the fantastic smoking area comfortable seating and tables with heating and a view over the Cotswolds made it a pleasure to be a smoker (rather than the appalling way smokers are usually treated). The room was massive for a hotel with a very large bed lovely and clean as was the bathroom though the lighting could well be improved as it was very dim also a larger mirror would not go a miss, off to dinner at 7.30 I had the pork belly served with curly crackling was divine for her the fish cake not so nice very salty a bottle of wine which was also very nice south African with a hint of citrus £28 we also had a complimentary mushroom soup delish, eton mess dessert, staff were very attentive and friendly, though the menu is minimal so 1 night of dining was enough. I would suggest the vine leaf in Stow or Cutlers At No4 just at the end of the road also very nice. Days out at Bourton on the water (Bourton under water as it was while we were there) and stow on the wold were very nice too. All in all a very pleasurable stay.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dangerous_doug
There are newer reviews for Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa

Reviewed March 5, 2014

had a great birthday party for a friends 50th we had a great sized room in the main house though our friends next door was more of a corridor!
food excellent but typical of fine dining could have eaten twice the sized portions.
the bar staff were excellent as they stayed open till we hit our limits.... as were the rest of the staff.
spa was ok but really needs a pool.

Room Tip: facing the gardens to the side are better
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Decided to treat my new fiance to a trip to the Cotswolds (a first for both of us) and boy, were we not dissappointed. Booked this 2 night mid week stay through Travelzoo and what a sublime experience it was. The 'house' (stately home and grounds) was exactly what we expected - oozing character, history and that atmosphere that is only experienced in properties of this ilk. The staff were so lovely, friendly and helpful that as soon as we had booked into our upgraded Courtroom executive suite (complete with beams and authentic bathroom) that we were being pampered by the staff in the sumptuous Spa. After 3 hours of decadent treatments, we felt completely relaxed and de-stressed - sincere compliements to the staff here - I will certainly be recommeding you to colleagues - so professional and an experience of sheer pampering I will never forget. Dinner (inclusive in the deal) in the restaurant was gorgeous, Every morsel of food was mouth watering - my fiance opted for the specials whilst I went a la carte. Despite not being able to move after the events of the day and this tasteful menu, we adjorned to the panelled library for a cognac and open fire - we were in heaven. Breakfast was faultless with an array of options - cooked breakfast was exactly what we needed to set us up to a day of travelling to all the beautiful villages in the area. A stunning part of the world and I highly recommend it to any discerning individual who love that touch of class.

Thank you very much to the staff (Sam on reception), the Spa staff and restaurant staff. We have shortlisted this venue for our upcoming wedding and cannot stop telling our friends and family about it!

Fergal Hoey
Linda Crosby

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fergal007
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Another few days away booked through a special offer website. (If you do this always take the paperwork with you, the hotel will require the confirmation codes)
It was a Wednesday to Friday trip, 2 nights including spa treatments , breakfast and one evening meal. A great deal.
The hotels in a great location a couple of minutes from Stow etc, loads of lovely villages and towns to visit.
I will get my moan over! If this hotel had a good leisure facility I would really rave about it! The spa was very limited but the ladies in our party took advantage of the treatments and said they were fantastic!
Anyway moan over, the rooms were light and airy, had everything you need and them, well decorated, clean and of good quality, no complaints at all.
The hotel spreads it's self across the main building and also has rooms in converted buildings in the grounds, I didn't go in those but they looked nice.
Breakfast had all we could need or want, Chef was also happy to accommodate special requests.
The evening meal as part of the deal was great, good food, well presented. The drinks were not too badly priced and a good bottle of dry white was £22.
One of the key elements of this hotel was the staff. John, a really nice bloke, could not do enough for you, he was genuine. More hotels need people like him.
We spent a day going around the local towns. We found some great shops, restaurants, tea rooms. In Stow special mention for the ' Vine Leaf' and ' Lucy's'. If you go out to eat into Stow on an evening, a taxi is a standard charge of £10 each way.
The hotel was fairly busy for a mid week in Feb, most people had taken advantage of some sort of deal, I suspect weekenders pay more!
Anyway, good value, great location, great staff, good food, no complaints!
Thanks for a good few days.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We booked an in house deal for a one night DBB stay with a spa treatment. My friend and I have done this many times and always find it a lovely chill out break. The hotel has changed the dining arrangement for special deals, to a 2 course dinner instead of a 3 course. However, you can always top it up from the usual menu or choose from that if you don't like the special options and they give you an allowance against it. Our dinner was lovely, unrushed and a thoroughly nice experience. Our spa treat was a swedish back massage, which again was expertly carried out by the massuese. The only downside to the spa is that it doesn't have a jacuzzi or pool. It does have a steam and sauna rooms, but a jacuzzi would be nice. As the spa is in the basement it probably isn't possible to add, but it would be a great addition. Our room was in the attic of the main building, we've never had a room there before, and although it was a little smaller than the main hotel or garden rooms, it was just as comfortable. We put this down to the fact that it was the last weekend of the deal, we were there on a Sunday and the hotel was quite busy. We will definitely go again, but hopefully be able to get another great deal.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Food was good but the head waiter ruined the night
The main corse was served to us wrong and then also the desert
Our wine ran out just after the starter was finished and we didn't get offered any more to drink, after we mentioned this to the head waiter he said he didn't offer because we were in a conversation so didn't want to disturb us and the reason the service was bad was because we had said at the start of the meal we said we wouldn't be paying!!!! Another lie
I feel very sad that a hotel of this stature that charged £200.00 per night would have shoddy staff that have made my wife cry and to be honest I feel utterly ripped off
The rooms are nice but I wouldn't come here again if you paid me
Please avoid

• Stayed: March 2014
4  Thank Spudsnuts
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

We booked a one night dinner bed and breakfast package through Travelzoo and were looking forward to a relaxing stay. Check-in was friendly and quick and the reception area welcoming with impressive staircase and fireplace. The corridor leading to the lift and our room, however, was a little less inspiring. An unsympathetic modern extension containing the garden rooms included in the package had the air of a Travelodge rather than a country house hotel and was in need of some TLC - rips in the carpet and badly repaired glass in the fire door were noticeable. Our room was very spacious with a lovely view of the Windrush valley and was pleasant enough - but again was a bit devoid of character and needed a bit of maintenance and there was no guest information folder. Also there were only cheap plastic glasses provided in polythene wrappers, reminiscent of a tacky B&B- we'd expected better. Very comfortable bed though and we slept well once we'd switched off the powerful heating and opened a window.

My spa treatment was relaxing but felt a bit amateurish, and despite having mentioned being pregnant and unable to lie on my back when making the booking, no adjustments had been made other than raising the top of the bed slightly. Also I do agree that it's a bit cheeky to market a sauna and steam room as a 'spa'. Pool and jacuzzi would complete the spa experience. Also the relaxation room was much too hot with warm air blasting out of an overhead vent so was not a pleasant place to spend time - and as I'm not able to go in the sauna and steam, there wasn't much for me in the 'spa' as a mum to be.

The best part about the stay was the wonderful dinner - the food was utterly faultless and delicious. And breakfast in the conservatory with lovely valley views was lovely too.

Overall we enjoyed our one night stay as it was great to get away, but won't return to Wyck Hill House - next time we'll choose somewhere with a bit more character and better spa facilities.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Zoe L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow-on-the-Wold
The Slaughters Country Inn
Sheep on Sheep Street
Sheep on Sheep Street
#3 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Restaurant
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Rest...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Ellenborough Park
Ellenborough Park
#4 of 23 in Cheltenham
The Slaughters Manor House
The Slaughters Manor House
#2 of 2 in Lower Slaughter

Been to Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!