“Lovely place for an anniversary”

Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Lovely place for an anniversary”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed here just before XMAS for our wedding anniversary. We had heard and read good things and we were not disappointed. Wyck Hill House is a nice mix of old and new with none of the ghastly bits often found with the ubiquitous modern annexe. We had booked a superior room and were a bit apprehensive when directed to the coach house but we found it to be a charming, very large room with four poster bed, sitting area and a large feature fireplace. The bathroom was massive. The receptionist advised us that there were a couple of Christmas parties on that evening and she thought we would find it less noisy, which we found thoughtful. That said, apart from a busy bar early on, we found that the parties were low key and did not affect our stay at all.

We ate in the dining room and found the food to be excellent. Beautifully presented and cooked. Our waitress had been well briefed in advance on gluten free requirements.We had cosy after dinner drinks,sitting on sofas on the covered and heated outside terrace. Breakfast the following day was served in the conservatory with lovely views across the gardens and countryside. Breakfast was cooked to order with quality ingredients.

The staff were very professional, especially our waitress, even if the barman was a little eccentric, and I would have liked to have been told details of the spa and where it was. I know they have a tough job but I wish they would smile a bit more.

It's a lovely location to explore the Cotwolds. We don't live too far away and would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: Don't be concerned if directed to the annexe.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Justina59

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
Walmer Kent
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

We were upgraded as it was my husbands 60th. Stayed in the main house, which was good as we had a lot of snow so didn't have to walk to room! All the staff made us feel very welcome and special. Fantastic value, breakfast was lovely and our evening meal for Kevs birthday was absolutely delicious. Fires in lobby and library so sat after dinner and talked with other guests. Prefectly situated, lovely walks, tho we walked in the snow, most lovely villages within few miles. Bourton on water, (tho don't go into Londis, very rude miserable woman works there!) Burford, Stow on the Wold, Upper and Lower Slaughters, all beautiful. Will definitely visit again but for longer. Views from hotel were lovely, made even prettier with snow! Thank you to all staff.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jane P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We go to the Cotswold quite often, as it is our favourite place for a short break away from London. And after trying out/exploring a few hotels, we have settled with Wyck Hill House. It is not the best hotel in the world but it offers excellent value. We loved the executive room 5, in which we stayed during our first visit a couple of years ago. It is huge, with modern deco, a big patio, and a view of the back lawn and trees. We did not mind that it is in the annex. As far as we were concerned it is very close to the spa, so we could pretty much rolled out of bed and into the sauna!

In our most recent visit in January, the lovely receptionist Matt remembered us and upgraded us to a feature room 28 which we stayed in once before. It has lovely bay windows with a view of the rolling hills - lovely. As with our previous visits, we enjoyed the spa (I admit it is quite small, but there are not many hotes in the area with a spa at all). Laura, my therapist, was very good and paid attention to my requests. We had 3 course dinner as part of the deal, which was very nice (but we also highly recommend the Feathered Nest Inn, 3 mins drive away towards Burford).

We never had any problem with the service, which was always friendly and attentive. I see that some reviewers were not impressed with the language skills of some staff, but I think with a little patient and understanding, you will see that the staff work very hard to make sure the guests have a good experience.

I admit that perhaps my husband and I have a soft spot for this hotel, and are happy to overlook little things. But the point is, we don't think the hotel suffers from any major problems, just occasional little ones. We will definitely return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jammi R
Essex, England
Reviewed January 14, 2013

My Husband and I returned to stay at the Wyck Hill House Hotel in November for the Cheltenham races, where we met my Cousin, who also stayed at this hotel for 2 nights.
Once again we stayed in the coach house which is a short distance from the main building.
My Cousin stayed in the main new part of the hotel, which she loved! Our room was set out with a separate living area with sofa and TV, with tea and coffee making facilities, comfy bed, the bathroom is a little old fashioned, but all in all the room was warm and comfortable. The three of us ate at the hotel's restaurant on our first night's stay and we enjoyed it immensley!
Lovely Atmosphere, food and good service. We had room service breakfast one morning and breakfast in the dining room the next and both were really good too! The hotel is a mix of old and new, it's nice in the winter when you arrive with the log fires burning, very welcoming :-)
Nice grounds aswell for sitting outside in the summer. Good location, but not situated in a town as I stated in my last review, so a car is essential really to get out to do the sightseeing.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sexysuzy
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2013

this hotel was fabulous. we arrived on new years eve it was in a beautiful setting and the rooms are very spacious and lovely furniture. the food was gorgeous and service was second to none. we was very close to other villages around the area such as burton on the water which was also a lovely location.

Room Tip: Any room would be lovely in this hotel. we had a view of the garden on a clear day this was a beauti...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank roxanne d
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I took my mum to this hotel as a present and was so disappointed.She was disappointed and this made me feel really bad as it was supposed to be a gift for her! The venue itself it beautiful. As i went in November, the weather was cold and wet. We initially were in the Orangery and the radiators were on but the room was freezing, I asked reception if they took a while to heat up and they she said yes, we went to town, when we came back the room was freezing. we had to get into bed to get warm. When I rang reception they said room service would be able to come in an hour..an hour later room service came she brought a heater. The room did eventually heat, but I remember wanting to be home and cosy! I asked for blankets and was told they didn't have any so I asked to change room. That was fine, but then the T.V didn't work so we moved again!I When I told my friends about it they said I should complain. As a conclusion we would have been more comfortable in the Travelodge! I emailed the hotel twice, but they did not bother to acknowledge it, let alone reply.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank goldenlady26
Stratford-on-Avon
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed here in late November. Had a wonderful room in the Coach House complex complete with sitting room which had a big open fireplace, Glad not to be in the main house as there were wedding receptions both nights. Food was excellent. Shame not not to be able to have breakfast before 8.00am on Saturday as had to be away by then and the room service delivery was a bit hit and miss with timings!

Room Tip: For more peace choose a room away from the main house but take a warm/waterproof coat for the walk t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank lizacate
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow-on-the-Wold
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's Restaurant
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
#3 of 22 in Cheltenham
The Old Stocks Inn
The Old Stocks Inn
#1 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!