“Return to the Wyck Hill House Hotel”

Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa
Reviewed January 14, 2013

My Husband and I returned to stay at the Wyck Hill House Hotel in November for the Cheltenham races, where we met my Cousin, who also stayed at this hotel for 2 nights.
Once again we stayed in the coach house which is a short distance from the main building.
My Cousin stayed in the main new part of the hotel, which she loved! Our room was set out with a separate living area with sofa and TV, with tea and coffee making facilities, comfy bed, the bathroom is a little old fashioned, but all in all the room was warm and comfortable. The three of us ate at the hotel's restaurant on our first night's stay and we enjoyed it immensley!
Lovely Atmosphere, food and good service. We had room service breakfast one morning and breakfast in the dining room the next and both were really good too! The hotel is a mix of old and new, it's nice in the winter when you arrive with the log fires burning, very welcoming :-)
Nice grounds aswell for sitting outside in the summer. Good location, but not situated in a town as I stated in my last review, so a car is essential really to get out to do the sightseeing.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sexysuzy

Reviewed January 11, 2013

this hotel was fabulous. we arrived on new years eve it was in a beautiful setting and the rooms are very spacious and lovely furniture. the food was gorgeous and service was second to none. we was very close to other villages around the area such as burton on the water which was also a lovely location.

Room Tip: Any room would be lovely in this hotel. we had a view of the garden on a clear day this was a beauti...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank roxanne d
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I took my mum to this hotel as a present and was so disappointed.She was disappointed and this made me feel really bad as it was supposed to be a gift for her! The venue itself it beautiful. As i went in November, the weather was cold and wet. We initially were in the Orangery and the radiators were on but the room was freezing, I asked reception if they took a while to heat up and they she said yes, we went to town, when we came back the room was freezing. we had to get into bed to get warm. When I rang reception they said room service would be able to come in an hour..an hour later room service came she brought a heater. The room did eventually heat, but I remember wanting to be home and cosy! I asked for blankets and was told they didn't have any so I asked to change room. That was fine, but then the T.V didn't work so we moved again!I When I told my friends about it they said I should complain. As a conclusion we would have been more comfortable in the Travelodge! I emailed the hotel twice, but they did not bother to acknowledge it, let alone reply.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank goldenlady26
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed here in late November. Had a wonderful room in the Coach House complex complete with sitting room which had a big open fireplace, Glad not to be in the main house as there were wedding receptions both nights. Food was excellent. Shame not not to be able to have breakfast before 8.00am on Saturday as had to be away by then and the room service delivery was a bit hit and miss with timings!

Room Tip: For more peace choose a room away from the main house but take a warm/waterproof coat for the walk t...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank lizacate
Reviewed December 6, 2012

This is a difficult one because we had two meals in the hotel which were at opposite ends of the scale. On sunday night we had a wonderful meal with fantastic service and would give five stars (sous chef apparently - well done!!!!). On tuesday we had an awful meal (apparently head chef), lousy service, almost to the point of rudeness by the guy in charge of the restaurant. We felt rushed and basically not welcome in the dining room. Dinner was booked for eight and by 8.45 they were changing table cloths and re-setting tables for breakfast. It was a most unpleasant experience and I would certainly not recommend it. I should also point out that we wordered exactly the same meals on both nights (based on the fact that they had been so good on the sunday!!!!). The change of staff in the restaurant from sunday to tuesday changed the whole experience for us and based on the latter we would definitely not want to return.

As to the rooms and the rest of the place. The room we had was very large, airy and clean absolutely no complaints. The hotel itself is not a particularly beautiful building, although it does have a few nice reception rooms and I agree with earlier reviews in that the corridors do need some attention. Again a mixed bag. All the staff that we dealt with on reception were very nice and well trained. I think that with the correct staff in the kitchen and restaurant and a few tweeks this could be a very nice hotel. We negotiated a good deal directly with the hotel and if we could get a similar deal again we would probably return but would check that the chef and the restaurant manager from tuesday night were not on duty.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pelhams
Reviewed December 4, 2012

The hotel has a very nice setting, especially as we used it as a base for travelling around the nearby Cotswold villages.

The hotel is nice with three main grand rooms housing a Bar, Lobby Area and Library. There are open fires in both the Bar and Lobby which filled the air with a lovely woody smoke which added to the ambience of the hotel.

The room was nice, as we were told we had been upgraded... unfortunately the room was above something which buzzed away all night (on and off). Wasn't too much of a problem really and we didn't bother trying to change rooms at all.

The food in the restaurant was lovely, as we were booked in for 2 nights dinner. We were a little disappointed that the same menu was used on both nights, as you already knew what the options were.

If you are looking at this hotel for the 'Spa' element... I really wouldn't bother (sorry). We popped down to use the free facilities one afternoon. There is one sauna and one steam room with a shower in between which we had enough of within about 20 minutes. Oh... and 10 points if you can find it first time without asking someone.

Overall, I don't think we can say we were overwhelmed by this hotel stay... but it certainly could have been much worse. Staff are polite, hotel is peaceful and the open log fires are lovely... just forget about the Spa.

Room Tip: Don't go for room 29... to 'buzzy'
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TeamPenAsh
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I took my parents in law to this hotel as part of the private tour in Cotswolds. When we arrived at the hotel, it was not very clear where the reception was but managed to find a desk where a staff was dealing with checking-out guests. As there was one staff at the desk, we had to wait for a while to check-in. I do not know why but we were provided with rooms in the annex building which was separately but closely located from the main good looking English county house. It was a pity that we could not stay in the main building.

The room in the annex building was very spacious and cozy with everything essential equipped.
We had dinner in the restaurant but the food was not so impressive. Many of the staff were eastern Europeans and their untrained manners slightly ruined our expectation of the Englishness in the country side. There was hardly any element of Cotswolds other than some rabbits running around in the garden.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Pong_Chang226
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow-on-the-Wold
Sheep on Sheep Street
Sheep on Sheep Street
#3 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Restaurant
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Rest...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings
The Old Stocks Inn
The Old Stocks Inn
#1 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!