“Love the Lava Rocks!”

Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Food served daily from 12.00 Until 9.00
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Please please do not listen to the "Terrible" reviews. No place or person is perfect. Have been here twice and am planning to go back. Had Crocodile and Venison on the hot rocks and loved every bite. Traditional country dining very reasonably priced. Recommend highly.

There are newer reviews for The Royal William

Reviewed May 6, 2014

We dined at this restaurant on Saturday 3rd May as a party of 6 for my boyfriends brother and his girlfriends birthdays. We had visited the restaurant many times before so had faith we would have another plesent experience ... How wrong we were.

The whole evening was terrible starting with a huge wait for our food and then our menu choices coming out incorrectly despite being checked on two separate occasions by two different waitresses.There was no real apologies from the staff and no offer to compensate us following the errors that had been made on the night.

My boyfriends mother was treating us to a birthday celebration meal and really isn't one for complaining so I did her her behalf. I sent the restaurant a plesent email outlining our experience with the hope they would give an explanation as to why received the service we did. Instead I was greeted with a book of excuses and utter rudeness. I had to chase twice by phone before receiving a response to my email at which point the manager of the establishment had the audacity to hang up the phone call.

I vowed to circulate my experience with the hope future diners will be warned of the service they may receive upon visiting this restaurant.

I will never return to this restaurant.

2  Thank KarlyPayne
LCPC, Owner at The Royal William, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Many thanks for your review, What a shame you failed in your attempt to extort money from us in exchange for posting this review.
Your table was informed of the wait prior to ordering and you were given every opportunity during your visit to raise the issues mentioned.
We have explained that the new menu had caused a few teething problems but you chose to exaggerate your waiting time and claim that 30 minutes is unacceptable.
In McDonalds maybe but our food is prepared and cooked from fresh and will take a little onlger to prepare.
Most of our understanding guests appreciate what we are trying to achieve however we cannot get it right every time.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

I could not disagree more with the comment from 27th April. I booked for 8 of us as a surprise for my fella's 50th & the staff couldn't have been more helpful. We were given more than enough time and didn't feel rushed. The food was lovely and portions generous. The decor and environment was homely and relaxed and appropriate I don't feel it was run down at all. In fact it all added to the character I would like to thank the staff for helping to make it such an enjoyable afternoon and will definitely be making a return visit.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

We had a really lovely evening at The Royal William yesterday. We liked it from the moment we walked in. Very friendly, attentive staff. Nice relaxed atmosphere. Quite a small dining area but the six of us were very comfortable sat around a large circular table. Menu is full of mouthwatering choices so most of went for three courses! Food was delicious. The staff went above and beyond with dessert and made an extra special large sundae for one of our party who had felt that his lamb shank was a bit on the small side (it wasn't!). This was well appreciated and added to our enjoyment. We were the last to leave and have all decided that we will definitely be returning which is a sure sign of a good meal. Big thanks to all the staff at The Royal William. :-)

Reviewed April 6, 2014

I booked a table on Monday morning for the Sunday requesting the round table for my family of 6. We arrived at 2-15. table not ready people sitting there having there their meal. We waited & waited with elderly parents. We were then asked if we wanted another table made up, in a place which was not to my liking as we would be squashed up. At gone three o clock we were then given the table I requested. By 3-30 our meals arrived. Roast beef was well over cooked you could not cut it. My husband had that much meat on his plate in thick slices, but it could not be eaten. They did come & ask if things were ok, we said no its not, They bought some pork out on a plate for us. Which was ok. But spoilt the meal for us. Now why can they not have said to these people. You can have this table but it is booked for 2-30pm.... or have put reserved on it.... Our meal was ruined...

LCPC, Owner at The Royal William, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

I am sorry to read your comments below and thank you for bringing them to my attention.
I have investigated the points you have raised and I am concerned that we were not able to meet your high expectations.
Firstly, I accept that you were 15 minutes late sitting at the table you booked as the previous party had not vacated. I understand that you declined an alternative table which was offered to you if you didn't want to wait. Unfortunately, we are not able to close a table down for an entire lunchtime if someone has booked at 2.30 pm and we are not in the business of throwing people out once they have eaten. The people who sat on the table prior to your booking also specifically booked that table for 12.00 and in all fairness this has never caused us a problem in the past. We are extremely busy on Sundays and usually our customers accept that they may need to wait for their table however it is clear this was not acceptable to you and I do apologize.
Your food order was taken 6 minutes later (2.51) and your food was delivered to your table 23 minutes (3.14) after that. As we pride ourselves on fresh home cooked food we do not consider that 23 minutes wait as unacceptable especially on a Sunday. We are a small independent operator who pride ourselves on our reputation for fresh home cooked food which is locally sourced and given the feedback we received on this Sunday regarding the quality of our meat I cannot understand how your table was the only one with poor quality meat. We do not offer boil in the bag, machined sliced microwave meals. All our meats are cooked fresh and hand carved so sometimes we do send out some thick slices which have proved extremely popular with some of our regular customers.
I am sorry that we were not able to meet your exceptionally high standards and I thank you for bringing this to my attention