“Lovely pub, in beautiful setting.”
Review of Falcon Inn Pub

Falcon Inn Pub
Ranked #4 of 10 Restaurants in Painswick
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 18, 2018

I have been meaning to review this pub for ages. It is one of may favourite in Gloucestershire, great after a long walk. There is a car park at the back and some outside seating if it is sunny. The bar area is dog friendly but not the restaurant. Whether eating a light lunch of a sandwich or a full Sunday Roast, I have never been disappointed with this pub and highly recommend. I would advise booking though as it is very popular and once they have finished serving lunch 2.30 Mon-Sat or 3.00 Sunday, you won't find cooked food available until the evening although they do serve afternoon tea or morning coffee. There is a good atmosphere and I don't think you will be disappointed.

Date of visit: December 2017

Reviewed May 14, 2018

The ambience is good and the service friendly and attentive. The pub has a nice menu which is backed up with a variety of choices of the day. But I was disappointed to get a beef and ale pie with the ubiquitous flaky pastry top added and the gravy was thin. My wife had the duo of lamb with the medallion cooked well but the other piece overdone and quite tough. We expected more from this place considering its local reputation.

1  Thank Michael J
Reviewed May 12, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I are walking the Cotswold Way so were looking for some decent food and drink at the end of the day. My wife ordered a glass of wine, but we both agreed that it was not good and when she politely told the owner, he refused to reimburse us and we had to buy a different wine, which was still not great. I spoke, again to the owner, who implied that it was us and not his wine that was at fault.
The food was pleasant but overpriced. The staff, however were delightful and warranted a tip for their attentiveness. We did not pay for the first glass of wine.
Message for the owner: “ Listen to your customers. Most people hate complaining and only do so if they feel their views haven’t been listened to”
This silly disagreement over a glass of wine ruined our evening. Get it?

1  Thank Richard D
Neil J, Owner at Falcon Inn Pub, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2018

Dear Richard
Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience of The Falcon, Painswick, there are always 2 sides to the story, so please bear with me as I respond, coming on duty your wife came to the bar to say she didn’t like the wine, she did not say it was not good, I would suggest it was not right for her palette, on explaining because she had taken some from the glass, I was unable to use it again, your wife said that was fine, clearly not, I offered another wine that I allowed her to taste before pouring and she confirmed that was acceptable, clearly not.
When you and I discussed this again at the bar, you suggested that the wines were not good and that’s what we serve, the range of house wines that are are on offer are of good quality at that price range, but of course may not suit all palettes, and that is why a full wine list is available.
Your refusal to pay for the wine, did not go unnoticed, however I do personally feel that if you order something and don’t finish it because you don’t like it, you should take the consequences and not the establishment, if the wine was off, then that is a different matter.
Enjoy the remainder of your walk.

Reviewed May 9, 2018

Food here is very nice, particularly the parsnip soup for starters. Chicken and mushroom pie for the main was very good and tasty. Couldn't manage a dessert as the food was very filling. Reasonably priced and a nice relaxed atmosphere. Was fairly busy for a Monday night but the service was very good. Would definitely recommend and go back if I were to be in the area.

Reviewed April 30, 2018

very welcoming pub, good food, nice staff. If I lived in the neighbourhood I would go back from time to time.

Date of visit: April 2018