“We visited again!”
Review of simply allium - CLOSED

simply allium
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Wiltshire
“We visited again!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I'm pleased to report we were not disappointed on our return visit.
Once again we used a TravelZoo voucher which is a great way to experience great food at an easily affordable price.
We had a 6 course Tasting Menu which started off with:
Asparagus Soup with Artisan Bread (we ate all 6 slices!) which was lovely.
Ballotine of Salmon - Seen this method of cooking on Masterchef, now I understand what all the fuss is about, an intense taste.
Wild Garlic Risotto - we were shown what wild garlic looks like, simply yum.
Rump of Cotswold Hoggit - after having a short lesson as to what Hoggit is, we devoured this dish very quickly, the tenderness and flavour was very impressive. (our favourite)
Elderflower Pannacotta - delicate flavours and a good cleanser.
Banana Souffle - a balance of texture and if you like a really sweet dessert, you'll love this.

A lovely evening with a quiet but perfectly acceptable ambience.

Roll on the next Travelzoo offer.

• Visited May 2013

Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Simply brilliant”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

What an evening! Not only was the food an experience to die for, the informative dialogue from James was more than interesting. The taster menu in the private dining room is a marvellous idea for anyone interested in food. Morel mushrooms picked that day. Wild garlic risotto. Suckling pig. The list goes on! Excellent wines to accompany each course. My taste buds exploded! Thank you for a memorable evening.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank LCWEAVER
Allemans, France
“A tasting to remember....”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This restaurant is, without doubt, the best dining experience I have ever had. Having lived in Fairford for a number of years I was a regular at Allium and have never had a meal that can be described as anything other than outstanding. Having since then briefly lived in London and now France I have had the luxury of visiting a number of excellent restaurants but none can hold a candle to Allium.

My most recent visit was to the new Tasting Room. This 12 course dinner was a masterpiece of wonderfully delicious, fun, and innovative courses. James was at hand throughout the meal to give insightful tips on each dish. His passion for local food knows no bounds, and he is hugely generous with his time and experience. We all learnt something that we could try in our own home cooking. Erica matched each course with some excellent wines, including a particularly delicious Bordeaux. To wrap the evening off the cheese board was second to none, Erica has won many prizes for her cheese board and things haven't changed in this regard.

When it comes to value, again, Allium cannot be beaten. The tasting room is fantastic value so it is cheaper for a couple to come and spend a weekend in a glorious Cotswolds hotel with an amazing dining experience than it is to have a tasting menu in most other restaurants.

All in all one of the best evenings of my life, thank you Erica, James and team.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank DavidPeterWright
swindon
“Very Good”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We have been a few times before & the service wasn't very friendly. We thought we'd try it one last time and we were pleasantly surprised, we will definitely be returning. Ericka gave me an extra dessert as it was my birthday. Very thoughtful!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank lucy s
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Outstanding doesn't do this restaurant justice, my taste buds have never experienced food this good. We went for the twelve course taster menu in the private dining room where we got to watch and talk to James while he created my most memorable night of food and wine ever. James, Erica and the team were amazing hosts, so knowledgable and engaging (we're all going to be trying the gnocchi tips) All this at a ridiculously good price, it just doesn't get any better. I'm never going to forget the night and can't wait to find an excuse to go back.

• Visited April 2013