“I'd visit again!”
Review of simply allium - CLOSED

simply allium
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 17, 2012

We ate here using our Travelzoo taster menu voucher and having read many of the previous reviews, I came with an open but optimistic mind....

Firstly, the ambience was very relaxed which suits the way I prefer to dine. The waiting staff were efficient and not in your face which again I like.

We had the 8 course tasting menu and normally I would always find something I don't like. The only thing I wasn't keen on initially was kidney (in the St. George's mushroom dish) but I actually liked and ate them all! I was thinking of naming my favourite dish, but there were so many I liked for different reasons. The Lamb dish was a real hit with my party and we were all impressively surprised with the Wild Garlic Veloutè. My friend isn't keen on fish, so they offered her alternative dishes without any fuss which she enjoyed.

The portions were generous considering it was a taster menu and you certainly got more than a "taste" of each course. The glass of bubbly to start with certainly set a good tone for the evening.

We would definitely go there again and would recommend it to friends and family.

1  Thank TheRovingReporter
There are newer reviews for simply allium

Reviewed May 17, 2012

We were visiting this restaurant for the first time for a long time. Indeed, the last time we were there it was just closing down to be used as one of the sites for Raymond Blanc's Restaurant series, whilst the own was on maternity leave.

We returned by being attracted by a TravelZoo offer of 55% off the 8 course taster menu, so value is assessed at that price drop, not full price.

The food was OK, but not really exciting as taster menus often are. It was hard to get the dynamic of the Chef's signature from this.

Some of the tasty additions in each course would have benefitted from some bread being available, but none was forthcoming, so we were left one wanting, and tasty morsels left on the plate.

Portions were OK, and they coped with a non-meat-eater among our party, although giving her salmon,for a main course, after two fish courses lacked imagination.

Service was painfully slow, and some of the food was less than optimum temperature when it finally arrived, but the young staff seemed to lack direction, perhaps becuse the front of house lead was absent on the night .

Wine was good and reasonably priced, although we had to keep getting up and pouring our own.

The basics are there, but the place needs to focus on the customer, and the service, although at full price we would have believed it to be rather expensive for what it was.

3  Thank Cwyfan
Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

Visited this establishment as a birthday treat on Saturday 12th may 2012. We were asked whether we wanted a drink at the bar or go directly to our table, we opted for the latter. We were offered water, the menus and wine list. We ordered nibbles (breadsticks + hummus and olives) whilst perusing the menu. We never felt rushed at all even though were asked several times If we were ready to order, I feel they were being efficient more than anything. For starter I had the double baked cheese souffle suisse and it was delectable! Partner ordered the charturie of cured meats which he enjoyed too. To follow both had the Venison shoulder flaked into a round sat on braised red cabbage with jus ( gamey tender meat, cabbage a tad to rich for me but partner loved it). For dessert we shared the superb chocolate fondant with orange ice cream (sublime), wine choice was Pinot Noir 2006 fm NZ. The young waitress that served us was very knowledgeable about the menu and helped us deciphering some of the dishes. As in previous reviews I would agree in maybe hanging some drapes at the window to give more of an ambience. The tables were placed enough apart to give privacy. Total bill £79. We were very pleased with our visit and will be returning definitely, I'm hoping to try the taster menu next time ( I would like to sample the chefs culinary concoctions). Big fat thumbs up for this place.

1  Thank JOBSON09
Reviewed May 2, 2012

I ate here in a group of six with the Travelzoo taster menu and had a thoroughly wonderful experience. We received a warm welcome on arrival and found that the staff couldn't have been more helpful, even when I asked if I could have an alternative to the fish courses. The food was outstanding - from the pork belly (perfect in my case) to the truly sumptuous chocolate fondant. I cannot praise this restaurant enough and will definitely be returning - It's well worth the drive from Cheltenham!

2  Thank missrharris
Reviewed April 29, 2012

This is a report that we felt we had to post from our own experience visiting the renamed
"Simply Allium".
We are not certain what they are trying to achieve, but can only assume from reading information on their web site, that another restaurant under the ‘Allium’ name or something else, classed as "Fine Dining Restaurant" is to open later this year and this will be a Brassiere only.
The “Allium” restaurant, which we thought we were visiting now rebranded “Simply Allium”, and what is now termed "Brassiere" upon entering appears rather bland and stark and lacks any form of character when we visited at lunchtime recently.
The food to be taken was the "Taster Menu", a package purchased through Travelzoo November 2011, and at that time called Restaurant Allium which was still a restaurant (not a Brassiere), and this could be observed from pictures of the table layouts of the restaurant, which incidentally were still on the Web Site at the time of our visit. A little misrepresented I suggest and should be removed.
So to the food, which in our opinion was not of a standard expected. A number of the courses were "salty" these were the Pea and Mint Risotto, Thai Beef Noodles which were also overpowered by an excessive taste of fish sauce, and which was brought to the attention of the serving staff.
Prior to the main course being served, we were rather assertively advised that the Chef had tasted the food and that in his opinion was perfectly flavoured. Sorry but not in agreement, which we expressed at the time. We had also enquired earlier if the Chef /owner was cooking, and was advised that he was. This we were unable to confirm, but one would have thought that a caring Chef, having a couple of courses returned and with only 11 people dining (mainly the Travelzoo package, few other customers), would have visited the table to discuss the issues, alas he chose not to take this pro-active customer related action.
The main course of Belly Pork, with Chorizo was served which had a solid outer coating, of supposedly crackling, and the flavour was yes, very, very salty throughout and inedible.
This we again brought to the attention of the staff, at which time we were told that we would be presented with the bill and NO further food would be served. The payment of £65 paid to Travelzoo was rather aggressively thrown onto the table and we were left in no doubt that we were not welcome and duly left, at the same time apologising to an adjacent table for any embarrassment it may have created.
Unfortunately, this was a great inconvenience of time and money travelling to visit a Brassiere and NOT a restaurant as initially booked, so issues here with “Trade Descriptions” we suggest , plus the overpowering taste of SALT remaining in our palates for the remainder of the afternoon.
In addition, on entering the Gentlemen’s Cloakroom/Toilet the seat on the urinal was “hanging off” and the old rusted “Toilet Brush” needs replacing I would suggest.
Finally, we have eaten in a wide range of restaurants ranging from Michelin Star restaurants to simple food outlets and would express this as one of our worst food and customer service experiences anywhere visited. We would have thought our constructive views would have been considered and welcomed and not by the inappropriate actions that they chose to take in the circumstances.
The word “Simply” in the name of the establishment maybe should highlight clearly, the actions necessitated following our own personal encounter, a most certainly not to be repeated experience.

4  Thank travelleriB