“Awful on all counts.”
Review of The New Inn

The New Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
The New Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 124 Restaurants in Cirencester
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The New Inn is a lovely Cotswold pub with good-sized rooms and delicious pub food in the charming village of Coln St Aldwyns, and just 2 miles of riverside walk from Bibury, the home of the world-famous Arlington Row. The landlords Leanne & Chris will make sure there's a warm welcome for you, with well-kept beer at fair prices, and a can-do attitude from their staff.
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Booked a table with the previous restaurant menu having been recommended by family members who had eaten there several months previously. I wasn't told about the menu change despite having given my email address and telephone no and having booked weeks and weeks in advance.

Expecting fine dining, I was EXTREMELY disappointed. What we were served was below standard pub food that seemeingly hadn't been thought about much at all.

I had kid eys in yarragon sauce to start which were extremely bland and the presentation can onmy be described as beige.
Followed by duck confit which was pathetic. Served with a dry potato gratin and lettuce... No sauce or anything.
I don't know how they can advertise this as having won awards when quite frankly I've eaten better food in Wetherspoons.
Extremely disappointing and we left without even looking at puddings.

A real shame as it seems the restaurant had gone rapidly downhill since the hotels changeover. Very very disappointed.

There are newer reviews for The New Inn

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Looks nice from the outside but hugely disappointing!
Staff very almost aloof.
Asked for the restaurant menu and ask if we could sit outside, was told that they had to ask the manager! Wish we had not bothered, food very average, tiny portions and are not served with any sides at all which I would expect for the price.
When we went to pay the bill, the tiny bar was very busy and the staff seemed to be more interested in talking to the locals.
Transation was rushed and I know it was our fault for not checking the bill due to feeling rushed, when we left we found a 10% 'service charge' had been added!!!
I dont mind leaving a tip, but would like it to go to the 'workers' and not in the managements pocket, I thought this secret charge was awfull.
Will not be visiting again and have advised other friends who visit the area not to as well. There are other much better establishments where the food and service is far superior.

Lee M, Manager at The New Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Just to make clear that we started our tenancy of the New Inn on 22nd July and do not add a service charge. Like Mrs Davey, we don't like the practice of adding a service charge and in fact our menu specifically says "Tipping is discretionary", as you can see if you download it from our website. Mrs Davey's stay pre-dated our taking over and we hope she comes back to try the Inn again.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

There are few places open for Sunday evening dinner in this part of the world, so it was particularly nice to visit this inn/hotel on a warm sunny day with its outdoor seating area.

The menu is up market modern British, with prices to match. We found the food to be OK without being that exciting. Also for a summer evening the menu had very few lighter dishes that you might expect to see at this time of year.

A lamb chump chop served with couscous and ratatouille had a nice flavour. My partner chose a starter salad of feta, tomato, olive, almonds and leaves as a main course and was disappointed. She specifically asked that there be no onions in the salad, only to find chopped spring onions throughout the dish, there were no olives, only two measly cherry tomatoes and the tiniest portion of almond. Puddings were less than impressive. A mango ice cream was almost tasteless, and a rhubarb panna cotta was only rated as 'OK'.

Service was pleasant and unobtrusive.

With a number of other highly rated up market gastro pubs in the area, this place needs to raise its game.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed for a week in the beautiful village of Coln St-Aldwyns and were very keen to use the local pub, which appears beautiful and welcoming from the outside.

Unfortunately when you get inside the staff are unwelcoming and cold. Just booking a table with them seems like an effort for them as they huff and puff telling you they are busy offering you a time to suit them. I expected the restaurant to be full when we arrived...but it was half empty...and I'm not surprised given the attitude of the staff.

The food it's self isn't bad, it's just such a shame that the staff are so miserable, we were made to feel like we were a hindrance to them during our meal.

We popped in to query about booking a table for a second meal, and were spoken to like we were stupid, so we didn't bother booking...who wants to spend their hard earned money and eat in such an unwelcoming environment.

Note to the manager: Your website advertises fish and chip supper on Friday from 4 until 7pm, which you don't actually run. Time to update the website and your rude staff.

2  Thank RhodFM
Russell G, General Manager at The New Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

Thank you for your review. We're hugely disappointed to hear your comments and can only apologise for your experience. We won't try to make excuses, it is completely unacceptable, but I can assure you that we will learn from this experience and ensure our staff's attitude improves.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

They make a big thing about '5 Black Stars and 2 Rosettes' from the AA. On the strength of this visit I have no idea why they were awarded any of either. Certainly not for service or food. Certainly not for value for money. Service was by willing but apparently totally untrained youngsters and our food was no different than that in my local pub. I got the distinct impression that management has taken its eye off the ball here, leaving a rudderless ship in the hands of a totally inexperienced crew.

Russell G, General Manager at The New Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Thank you for your feedback, all very useful. I'm very sorry to hear you did not experience the levels of service we aim to offer all guests, and that our food didn't meet your expectations. One of my objectives as the new general manager is to review our service standards, and ensure all guests receive the same excellent quality service that we have been recognised for previously so I really hope you decide to try us again in the future.