“Excellent stay with superb food”

Corinium Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Cirencester
Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

I stayed for one night on business at the end of November. I received a warm welcome and immediately went for dinner as it was almost 9pm. The food was superb! I had liver with bacon and onions and I can honestly say it was the best liver I have ever had. The room was well appointed. Bathroom a little tired but functional. The bed firmish which suits me but may not be to everyone's taste.. Good nights sleep and excellent breakfast . Really good value accommodation and highly recommended food.

• Stayed: November 2012
Tim_Waller, Owner at Corinium Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

I was delighted to read your review and that you enjoyed your stay with us. Many thanks for your comments and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

There are newer reviews for Corinium Hotel & Restaurant

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed at the Corinium Hotel at the end of October for 4 nights. On the plus side the staff were very helpful and friendly. The breakfasts were generally good and the food in the restaurant was also. However, really this is not a hotel as such, but more a pub with rooms.
There is no actual reception, just a small table as you enter with a bell to summon staff.
In order to be sure of a good sized room we had taken the room with a four-poster bed. The bed was modern and comfortable. However the splindly poled metal frame squeaked every time either of us moved, - quite irritating. The furnishings in the room were a selection of old non matching items, some of which had clearly seen much better days. (see photos). The room and decoration were not of the standard expected for the cost in this day and age, - for example rusty chipped towel ring in the bathroom, and old worn non-matching furniture. It may once have been good quality but is no longer presentable. The easy chair in our room was split and a poorly stitched repair had been attempted.
On the plus side, the room was generally clean, the bed linen white and crisp and the towels were surprisingly large and fluffy for a small establishment. But the bathroom was very cold, and we asked why we could not turn the towel rail on, to be told that it was a ‘health and safety issue’ as they couldn’t be turned down and would therefore be too hot. As a surveyor my husband said to me they could have had thermostatic valves fitted which would have sorted this problem. The control in the bath was very stiff and every time I tried to run a bath and make the water hotter the shower came on and drenched my hair!
Our room was freezing on arrival, but we were able to turn the main heaters on to make the room nice and warm. However the next day when we returned at 5 ish we could not get them to work at all, and on phoning down I was told that the heating was always off until 6pm, but that they would turn it on early for us! The next day during our stay was tthe weekend, and was bitterly cold, and I am glad to say the heating was on whenever it was needed.
The room was over the bar, and the noise from the bar was considerable. There was clearly no sound insulation to the bar ceiling. When we returned in the afternoons we could actually hear the conversations below! However by 11.30 pm it died down and was quiet at midnight when we wanted to sleep.
There was no actual lounge as such, just a couple of sofas at one end of the bar.
One small note about the breakfasts only Muller light fruit yoghurts are provided, which contain gelatine. I asked for natural yoghurt the first morning, and was told it was not available and would not be provided. I was very surprised, this is the first hotel I have ever stayed in that doesn’t provide natural yogurt. Luckily the hotel is near to the town and Tescos, so I went into town the next day and bought my own.
Overall, the Corinium is fairly pleasant, but overpriced. We were quoted £108 for a double room, and we were given the four poster bedroom at this price, although it is usually dearer. This was still a lot to pay, bearing in mind the standard of accommodation.

Room Tip: avoid rooms over the bar.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank musicmaam2000
Tim_Waller, Owner at Corinium Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Whilst I was pleased to note that you were generally satisfied with the service, food quality, and cleanliness of your room, it was obviously very disappointing for myself and the staff to read your lengthy review including the “photos” detailing various minor shortfalls, despite our best efforts to ensure that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Although I totally agree with a few of your points including the chipped towel ring and dressing table chair (a temporary one in use whilst the seat of the normal chair is being re-upholstered), I feel that your opinion the hotel is more of a pub with rooms is unfair and gives an incorrect impression to other potential visitors. It would be true that this was the case a few years ago, but there has been considerable investment made since we acquired the hotel almost 5 years ago, including a new reception area, which actually has a mahogany desk inlaid with green leather on the top and cannot really be described as just a “table”.

Following this sympathetic rear extension (that had to meet with Listed Building requirements) being completed almost three years ago, we were awarded 3 stars (previously 2 stars) by the Visit England & AA hotel inspector and rated as a good quality small hotel. Unfortunately it is impossible to please everyone and certainly people have different expectations when staying at hotels. In respect of the noise from the bar, I do wish that you had contacted ourselves after the first night, so we could have moved you into one of our quieter rooms. We do have a couple of rooms over the bar & lounge area, but all of our other rooms are very quiet.

Regarding the heating, I think it is fair to say that the weather has been somewhat inconsistent recently, so it can be challenging to get the right balance at all times. The towel rail in the bathroom is actually due shortly for renewal and it was not possible to fit new valves, so I apologise if the bathroom was too cold for you. All bedroom radiators do actually have thermostatic valves fitted.

It is true that we don’t currently offer natural yoghurt at breakfast, as there has been little demand for it in the past and therefore a high degree of wastage. However, we are normally always very willing to buy in any products upon request, so my apologies for this. I will investigate who advised you that this was not possible.

In closing, I strongly believe that £108.00 for a four-poster room with garden view including full breakfast for two people is actually a very fair price and commensurate with other hotels of similar quality in the Cotswolds area. Room 12 is the four-poster bedroom featured on our website and very popular with our regular guests, who are willing to pay the normal price of £120.00 per night. Admittedly the furniture is old and not totally matching, but the pieces are all perfectly acceptable and indeed give the room character, unlike the modern unattractive furnishings found in some other hotel bedrooms.

Despite your disappointment I do hope that we can welcome you back in the future, when we can be given another opportunity to meet your own expectations.

Yours sincerely

Proprietor

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Enjoyed cold drinks on a hot afternoon in popular garden. Had a second floor room up steep twisty stairs - not surprising given age of the building with old beams evrywhere. Comfortable rooom. Despite being a Saturday staff went out of their way to get fault in shower repaired. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for your comments and pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, despite the faulty shower. Look forward to welcoming you both back to the Corinium Hotel in the future.

Tim

Reviewed September 30, 2012

A nice hotel with a lovely restaurant with helpful staff, a short walk takes you to the centre were there are great shops and pubs
A beautiful part of the country and were ever we stay we always enjoy ourself s

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 18gceltic
Tim_Waller, Owner at Corinium Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

Thank you very much for your positive comments and pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Regards
Tim

Reviewed August 23, 2012

We had one night here during the Air Tatoo. The room was good, with impressive old timber beams. The decor in the room is perhaps a little tired. Cleanliness was impeccable.

The evening meal was excellent, and a very attentive Irish waitress looked after us like royalty. I do hope her value to the business is fully appreciated.

An enjoyable stay, and if I need to stay in Cirencester again I will call the Corinium first.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ceiriog
timcarwaller, Owner at Corinium Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Many thanks for your comments and I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Proprietor

Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed in this hotel last night 18.8.12 we found it excellent. 5 minute walk into town. The staff were very pleasant, helpful and unlike your chain hotels they had a sense of humour and we felt like people & not just a number. The hotel had bags of atmoshere & plenty of olde worlde charm. It was clean & had everything you needed in the rooms. Some of the reviews say it was dark but if you want bright and plastic without atmosphere then this is not for you. Without a doubt we would stay here again.

Room Tip: For a romantic night ask for the four poster rooms
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tracey B
timcarwaller, Owner at Corinium Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Many thanks for your kind comments and delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Lovely place! when we arrived we were met by the lovely,very accommodating Margaret! We were a little tired and she offered a pot of tea and it was delivered with biscuits and a smile! Most of the staff was excellent. Room was cleaned every day we were there! Excellent breakfast,buffet on some, but we were offered a cooked for us breakfast. Dinner was nice and again service was excellent. The chef did not have the salmon with pak choi I wanted so I suggested use the sea bass, lol never rdreaming he would do it. It was excellent! Attention to detail, this place is nice. We were staying a few days for the air tattoo and if we go back next year we will stay here!
Mark & Alexandria Manchester

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alexandria W

Many thanks for your review and very pleased that you had a good stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again next year for the Air Tattoo.
Tim waller

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cirencester
Kings Head Hotel
#1 of 1 in Barnsley
The Swan Hotel
The Swan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bibury

Been to Corinium Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!