“Heart of the Cotswolds - old world charm but very enjoyable stay.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Corinium Hotel & Restaurant

Corinium Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Cirencester
Swindon
“Heart of the Cotswolds - old world charm but very enjoyable stay.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2011

A mix of old world Cotswold charm, and in places modern renovation gives you an ideal hotel to explore the region. We stayed for one night only, after a Xmas Party night. Room #2 that were booked into was spacious, clean and tastefully decorated. The compact shower room was to die for...one of the few hotels that I have stayed in with a mirror tall enough for my 6ft frame to see to shave with out bending my knees! The staff are courteous and very efficient at all times... and if the chef is not Michelin star awarded then he should be...the dinner menu has so many choices...and the food is scrumptious. Breakfast likewise...cereals, fruit juices.. continental or full English...take your pick? I think that some of the negative comments about this hotel are misplaced in the extreme....couldn't fault this hotel, staff, decor, or food. I would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: No lift...so opt for a ground floor room if you can...otherwise you'll have a few stairs to clim...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Abingdon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

This is a lovely Hotel if you want somewhere with character rather than a large corporate impersonal chain Hotel. Our room was at the top of the Hotel up a rather steep narrow staircase.This may be a problem if you have mobility problems so mention this when booking. I loved our little room. It had real character and I felt like I was in our own period cottage with oak beams. The tolietries provided were good quality. The floor boards are squeaky but that's what you would expect in a Hotel of this age and character. We weren't disturbed by noise from other guests atall. I feel the Hotels location is ideal. You are far enough away from the central High Street to escape noise but near enough for a stroll around Cirencester.

The bar area was cosy and full of character. They had a good selection of real ales. We eat in the restaurant and the food was well cooked and we had a good portion each. We went to bed very full!

The staff are friendly and helpful. Occasionally a little slow to come to the bar or reception. However they are clearly doing several jobs and are friendly and welcoming.

We will go back for another pleasant evening away.

Room Tip: Narrow steep stairs to rooms on top floor so specify room choice if you have mobility problems
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
cirencester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

have eaten at this restaurant with a christmas party twice and was ok. but the sunday roast was quite poor very small portions only two very small slices of pork my husbands beef was wafer thin only two roast potatoes each and just enough veg, none of it was hot., very overpriced.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jo c
timcarwaller, Owner at Corinium Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
This is highly unusual and certainly does not reflect the views of the many local people who visit us regularly for Sunday Lunch and it is my first complaint about our traditional roasts in almost 4 years. It is particularly disappointing that these apparent shortfalls were not brought to our attention at the time in order that we could rectify the situation. We are more than happy to provide extra vegetables & potatoes as required. I don't think the majority of people would think £16.50 for 3 courses as overpriced.

Exeter, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

This is the first time I’ve made the effort to write a review on TripAdvisor – I felt compelled this time! (I always take bad reviews with a pinch of salt, but this is absolutely genuine!) We were checked in by a miserable guy and shown to our small and quite grubby room. When we returned at around midnight, the noise from the bar below was very intrusive and went on for at least another hour or so. The bed was very uncomfortable and you couldn’t flush the toilet due to the incredible noise it made. We wished we hadn’t worried when the hoovering commenced right outside the room in the hallway from 8am and lasted until we got up at 8.45am!!! (we were really looking forward to that lie-in!) I wouldn’t go back!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dolby_11
timcarwaller, Owner at Corinium Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, September 6, 2011
I was most concerned to read this guest's comments and I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused. Unfortunately I have not been able to determine the guest's name, but it would appear that they occupied Room 11, which is the only room above the bar that recently had a slightly noisy loo, but that is now repaired. Whilst the room does have a small en-suite bathroom with shower, it actually has a good view of our lovely garden, the bedroom area is of standard double size and certainly not grubby. I cannot recall any complaints about this room in over 3 years since I acquired the hotel and in fact we have had returning guests requesting it. It is however located above the bar, so when we do have guests staying up very late on the rare occasion, it would be a precaution for light sleepers to request one of our many rooms on the other side of our hotel, which are extremely quiet.

I have personally inspected the mattress, which was in good order, altthough the firmness/softness of a mattress is a matter of personal choice. For those guests that prefer softer beds, we now offer mattress toppers on request. The early morning hoovering at 8am was unusual as this normally does not start until after 10am. I understand however that it was recently carried out earlier by a new member of staff, so my apologies for this, but this has now stopped.

Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

Myself and my partner booked this hotel specifically because they accepted dogs and we have a rather large dog who we love to take everywhere with us.
We stayed for two nights and apart from the squeaky bed and creaky floorboards (expected in such an old building I suppose) we could not pick fault.
Location was great, only a 5 minute walk into the town centre.
There was also a lovely big park 2 mins away which was handy for the morning and night time toilet walks for the dog (something us dog owners have to consider!!).
The staff were most pleasant and welcoming and we didn't experience any of the long waits to check in and out as other guests have mentioned in their reviews, and we arrived and left during meal times.
We took advantage of the Dinner 'add on' whereby you pay £16 per person, entitling you to £20 worth off the menu. Food was fine, pub standard, which was reflected in the price to be fair.
The bar seemed to transform from a lovely cosy relaxed area by day, into a fun bar by night. There was a live band on the Sat night which was good. Glad we didn't want an early night though as they were playing less than 10 metres from our room!! We were there for a good time really and thats what we had.

It worked out a lot cheaper to book through an agent rather than direct with the hotel, i saved something in the region of £50 by booking with booking.com.

The Corinium is exactly what it claims to be, a 3 star hotel, and provided us with everything we expected it to.
They were excellent with the dog too, making her feel very welcome and accommodated us during meal times by setting up a table in the conservatory so that the dog could stay with us while we ate.

Room Tip: Room 2 is ground floor, very spacious, decent shower (no bath). Near to bar!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
wrexham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

This is the very first time I have slept two nights on a floor and found the floor more comfortable than the bed. I combed the shops for an air mattress, and got childs air beds only to try and help for the second night. At the price we paid this should never be the case. Decided to eat out in the town as breakfast was very basic and we had more on offer at the Travel Lodge in Covent Garden. My husband is registered disabled and we had to climb 30 stairs to our room with no-one there to assist us. For the price we were not happy at being situated in the converted attic which was stuffy. Next break in Cirencester, we stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: we were in room 9
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank WrexhamSteve1945
timcarwaller, Owner at Corinium Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
I was most concerned to read this guest's complaint and disappointed that they did not contact either myself or one of my management team at any time during their stay to raise the issue of the mattress or that one of them was disabled. We do have 2 ground floor rooms and will allocate these if advised. In fact one of the rooms was actually available when these guests arrived, so they could have been moved. Whilst Room 9 is indeed in the old attic, I actually receive many compliments about this bedroom as it has the old beams exposed and has lots of character. The mattress is in good condition and we have received no other negative comments. However, the softness/hardness of mattresses is very much a personal matter and we take the middle ground in this respect. I was also very surprised that they found our breakfast basic given the choice available and indeed we have always received positive guest feedback about our breakfast offering, including the hotel inspector who recently upgraded us,

gloucestershire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

Back in April, me, my boyfriend and his family went for a birthday meal here. We didnt stay here so i cant comment on the accomodation. It was a set menu as it was a bank holiday weekend, but the choices were good. They were the same menu's they used for Easter as it had this printed on the top. You got a starter/main and pud for a set price. The food was very nice and the staff friendly. The actual restaurant was busy but still quite quiet atmosphere, i think they cater for an older generation, esp on a Sunday when we were there. They have a nice beer garden out the back, which is lovely to sit and have a drink in the sun. I would eat there again and use the beer garden.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cirencester
Kings Head Hotel
#1 of 1 in Barnsley
The Swan Hotel
The Swan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bibury

Been to Corinium Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!