“The food rocks, but leave your service expectations in the queue....”
Review of Made by Bob

Made by Bob
Ranked #14 of 125 Restaurants in Cirencester
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
UK
“The food rocks, but leave your service expectations in the queue....”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Most of the less positive reviews of Made by Bobs refer to the poor service. Must admit I now agree, we have been to Bob's a few times now and have given the service the benefit of the doubt on previous occasions given that the place is usually pretty busy when we visit.
The food is definitely worth the visit - the quality of ingreidents and the execution have on every visit been excellent. Wonderful vivid flavours, the mediterranean definitely a major influence and reminders in plenty of summer holidays in warm places.
Such a shame about the service. This is one of the places where - unless it would seem you are personally known to the staff - the possbility of being completely ignored by the serving staff is immense. On our last visit we had to ask three times if we could order, and finally managed to get an "OK then" from the waiter who seemed to have other plans. Unlike the discipline visible amongst the kitchen staff (there is a real busy, buzz of coordinated activity in the kitchen), the serving staff seem to oscillate between random tasks and doing nothing (there was one ten minute period when lunch service was supposed to start when by my reckoning not a single order was taken). It seems to be a combination of lack of training and lack of effective supervision. For example, I noticed one of the serving staff setting up a table drop a knife on the floor and set it straight back on the table! - unfortunately for him but luckily for the next customer one of the other customers I believe suggested he replace it with a clean one. As to the supervision, there was one individual who does seem to be in charge of the waiting staff but seems to be quite ineffective unless it is to socialise with customers she knows. I observed the individual spending around ten minutes chatting to a table of six and ignoring everything else going on - right in the middle of peak Saturday lunchtime. So I guess you get great attention if you are known and ignored if you are not.
So if you go to Bob's, go for the food (Bob's is a 5 for food, no question about it). But when you stand in the queue, remember you are not in the line solely because the food is great - its because the service sucks and they simply can't work the tables properly.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank DelandLou

Wiltshire
“My favourite place in Cirencester”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I may have left a review some months ago but felt that I should leave another as I class my self as a bit of a regular now! My Mum and I come to Cirencester most Monday's and have made this our special place for lunch. We have tried so many dishes that I cannot name them, but every time we visit we love the atmosphere, service and of course the food. Great selection and fresh ingredients. Also
love the fact you can buy some lovely ingredients from the Deli.

• Visited February 2013
Cirencester, United Kingdom
“Superb food!”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Made by Bob is a liitle gem! You will probably need to book, especially for a lunchtime, unless you want to wait in line for a table. The food is excellent, a great choice of styles and flavours. The chefs work in front of house, so if you choose a kitchen-side stool, watch them prepare your meal. Bob is hands on, so keeps an eye on things. Not for those looking for a quick lunch though. The one downside at times, sad to say, is the waiting staff. Sometimes they can be slow to return to get your order, sometimes a little indifferent to your requirements. A bit on the pricey side for this type of restaurant/bistro. You can get take-aways of various items and one of the chefs will make you up a 'designer' sandwich while you wait. There is a small shop area, selling unusual dry goods (pasta, flours, chocs, wines, etc), a great deli counter and breads are amazing! Bobs is open for early bird breakfasts and opens for supper on Thursday and Friday evenings. Best to ring before hand just to check, I've been once or twice to find it closed.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Kelsie H
Gloucs
“Bob's not my uncle!”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Awful!! Went there to day, had to wait ages for table without even being acknowledged by staff.
Really over priced £9 for a bowl fish of soup!! Which was awful, cold tasteless & no bread!
Don't even bother going there, pretentious, expensive & awful food. My friends had cauliflower soup & both said it was cold, tasted like rotten cabbage & burnt saucepans!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank BevGloucs
Wales
“Great place to eat”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

a little bit pricey but lovely food and a great, modern atmosphere. An Italian shop is at the far end of the restaurant.

Visited February 2013