“Friendly service, spacious rooms, Great breakfast”

The Fleece at Cirencester
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Cirencester
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I stayed at the Fleece during a business trip to Cirencester in September 2013. Its a bit confusing when you first arrive because you check in at the bar. The room was very spacious with a comfortable bed and flat screen TV. In the morning the bar doubles as a breakfast buffet with delicious and fresh pastries. The parking in the back can be a bit tricky and is limited to only a few spaces. The hotel has a Starbucks adjacent to it and is close to many restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for a large room
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Inns_0f_Character, Ricardo Canestra - Manager at The Fleece at Cirencester, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have limited car parking spaces and also free passes to the car park across the road should this become full. Myself and the team hope to see you soon back at the Fleece.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We didn't stay at the Fleece but when we return to the area we will definately try to book in there! We went there for an evening meal - there were four of us and we all had different food and they were all fantastic! The service was also really good and extremely friendly!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Many thanks for your review and all your lovely comments, I have passed these onto the team and they are all delighted to hear your feedback. I will look forward to seeing you back at the Fleece soon and hopefully you will be able to relax and enjoy our bedrooms next time you visit us.

Kind regards,
Ricardo Canestra - Manager and all the team at the Fleece.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

On arrival the welcome was good, all info provided regarding parking and usual requirements, and shown up to our room.

The room 22 was good size very clean and tidy.

Bathroom was spotless, clean and tidy.

All items you would expect were present, and a small bag with ear plugs if you need, nice touch, although we were over the courtyard, there was no noise, and we were out late at a party in any event.

Needed a quick meal, this was organised by the restaurant team, and although some of the options were pricey, there were other reasonable options. For me the salmon starter and the duck main were absolutely perfect. Very good quality and cooked well.

The breakfast experience was a little bit confusing at first, as the waitress took the order for coffee or tea, but did not run us through the breakfast options, so we started on the fruit salad, toast etc, and still no order for cooked, the menu was not very clear, eventually I asked a waitress if we may order hot food, and this was dealt with very quickly.
So only very small point, please clarify the breakfast options, as it does actually mention it on the menu, right at the bottom in small print.

Other than that a very good stay, and very enjoyable, and in the centre of the town, good spot to wander and spend money in the numerous different shops as well as the traditional stores

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Inns_0f_Character, Ricardo Canestra - Manager at The Fleece at Cirencester, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the Fleece. I have passed on all your comments to the team as we are always delighted to receive great comments such as yours. I have also spoken to the breakfast team to ensure they are clear about the protocol of breakfast. I hope to see you again soon at the Fleece.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

We booked 20 rooms in Fleece over a weekend for guests at our sons Cotswold wedding.
It was a perfect choice. The staff struck that difficult balance between being too pushy and too reserved. The rooms were all different, quaint but comfortable. The food was was good quality "gastropub". The ambience is quintessentially Cotswold. Without exception our friends are going back to the Fleece. Memorable

Room Tip: Ask for one of the bigger rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Thanks so much for your review and all your nice comments. I have passed on the feedback to the team and they are really happy, you enjoyed the Fleece for such a special occasion and we all hope to see you back at the Fleece in the not so distant future.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I have been to the Fleece on a number of occasions for lunch, dinner and also electing to to take our staff there for Christmas last year. Of course most restaurants come under recommendation and this is what we did to my in laws who decided to take the family out a couple of weekends ago for a celebration Sunday lunch.

I still feel as though i was in an undercover Fawlty Towers re-make it was that poor!!

Upon arrival, we were shown to our table whereupon we advised the restaurant manager that there would be 1 person not coming to the meal and the other gentleman was parking the car. We were duly sat down when a female waitress whisked to our table and swiftly starting taking away settings. I advised her that we were still waiting for another person when she retaliated with a haughty " I know" before walking off.

We were then asked if we would like drinks, we order pre dinner drinks to be advised they had run out of tonic and would we have slimline and we said yes - they then wanted to take the wine glasses and i asked them not to as we were going to order wine to accompany the meal.

A member of the waiting staff then presented my daughter with a colouring sheet and no pencils which I asked for but they said they did not think they had any! I asked another member of staff and they managed to find some.

We then ordered Roast Beef which said it was cooked rare unless stipulated otherwise - I asked for mine medium rare. As we were waiting for our meals they came to collect our glasses again and i once again had to say no - we would like order some wine. They eventually took our order. When the wine arrived a very nice bottle of Shiraz was left un opened on the table and the white wine left for us to pour.

When the roast beef arrived we asked the lady which was which and she looked at us and said - well as they come! We are still not sure what that meant

My mother, who had had a glass of white wine whilst waiting for the main meal to arrived then asked the waitress for a red wine glass whereupon the waitress told her she did not know what she meant and continued to just say - "do you just mean a wine glass".

The meal was ok - not rare beef and not a lot of gravy but ok.

At this point I felt the need to talk to the Restaurant Manager away from our table to save embarrassment for our party and the staff. I went to the main bar and sat with a very nice guy that understood my concerns and very kindly took time to listen to all that had happened during what should have been a lovely afternoon.

It was then to my complete horror that I came back to my table to see my mother in law almost in tears as she had tried to order an after dinner coffee to be told her pronunciation was wrong and she should not pronounce this specific italian coffee the way she had!

I asked our table to be served by an different server at this point, we ended our meal and paid the bill.

I am incredibly disappointed that in the space of less then 12 months an establishment that we have visited on numerous occasions could turn into such an awful dining experience which was purely down to the serving staff. Very disappointing and for all that the Restaurant Manager did to try and rectify the problems it is a direct reflection on the lack of training and common courtesy that should have been instilled in staff within a public facing role.

It is safe to say that as a family we will not be going back to the Fleece and our friends and business contacts will also be warned to stay well clear.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Many thanks for taking the time to send in a review and give us valuable feedback, it is constructive comments like these which enable us to improve on our high standards, we have enjoyed some fabulous feedback since we took over the fleece however we understand we cannot rest on our laurels. The duty manager on the evening who dealt with the situation has given me his feedback from the evening and together with your feedback I have used this as part of the teams weekly training on service standards to ensure this sort of incident does not occur again.

I would love to take the opportunity to talk to you in person or over the phone to reassure you this was a one off occasion and to restore your faith in The Fleece.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We where looking forward to a quiet weekend away and booked the Fleece some months ago. Unfortunately due to the presence of a wedding party the weekend was a washout.I had to go down stairs on the friday night of arrival at around 12.40 am to ask the rowdy guests to be quiet.

Our room Number 21 overlooked the enclosed open outside seating area and it was group seated outside from around 11am until 12.40 am on the friday night that caused the most nuisance and noise laughing and joking.

On saturday night the noise started at 2 am and continued to around 3.30 am. Luckily the Fleece supplies ear plugs (not sure why we needed them but we soon found out)

After the friday night debacle I had no energy left to confront some 20 drunk and noise guests as was the case friday night

We are not kill joys but there is respect you need to pay to all guests in any establishment and these people broke those rules

I hope they had a nice stay because the other guests certainly did not

On the positive side the room was excellent and clean and we ate their the two nights and had lunch and dinner in the restaurant which was excellent. Compliments to the chef and to the staff especailly the dining room supervisor who whilst young was excellent at the job

Overall the noise spoiled the weekend so we would think twice before booking the Fleece again

The night shift manager tried her best but you would have needed a couple of bouncers to support her, luckily I was brought up in Glasgow so could offer a little moral support

What a lovely market town and a wonderful hotel spoiled by unruly guests

I hope they are on future blacklists. Take note Fleece, we will send our notes to Thwaites and Ann Smith in due course

Room Tip: Face the market square you have traffic but that should be better after 11pm
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you kindly for your feedback. It was really nice to talk to you the other day and hopefully we have resolved the situation and you will in future come back to the Fleece where we will ensure you have a relaxing stay and experience the delights of the Cotswolds.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Cirencester is a quiet town in the center of some lovely and historical parts of England. The Fleece is a perfect home base. The building has been modernized well but there is no elevator or A/C. We did have a plug-in fan in our room. Parking (with fee) is available behind the hotel but there is public parking in front which is free from 6 PM to 8 AM. There is a nice pub area in front. The service is quiet good considering many of the staff take care of the reception desk (which is at the bar) as well as serve tables. Breakfast was very good but dinner was average.

Room Tip: Room 10 is over the kitchen so it can be noisy, The twin-bedded room is medium size.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kanda84

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review and give us your valuable feedback. We did look at an option of a lift during the refurbishment however we felt it was out of character for an 17th Century Inn and with only two floors the decision was made to plan without a lift. We do hope you visit us again and if you do please ask for myself and I will personally ensure we get you a room with the best access. I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast however not so glad you did not feel the same way about your dinner experience, consistency is something we work really hard on and I would love to talk to you in more depth about this so I can understand what you did not enjoy so we can get it right in future.

Ricardo Canestra - Manager and all the team at The Fleece.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cirencester
Kings Head Hotel
#1 of 1 in South Cerney
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
DoubleTree by Hilton Cheltenham
#1 of 1 in Charlton Kings

Been to The Fleece at Cirencester? Share your experiences!