“Great place, but road noisy”

The Fleece at Cirencester
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Cirencester
London, United Kingdom
“Great place, but road noisy”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Recebtky refurbished, this hotel is a great place to stay, except for one thing. If you get a room on the main road side (where market is held) the noise from late night revellers is extremely loud. This goes on well into the early hours and ear plugs do nothing to quell the shouting, singing and screaming. You will not sleep well. We couldn't move room as hotel was busy and we had the dog with us.
The staff at the hotel are really great and friendly. Very nice people. The food was ok, but could still improve. Getting a slab of pâté and one very small slice of briosh to eat it with wasnt great! Asked for more.
If you have a dog, well behaved that is, then they are very welcoming and are allowed in bar area too.
We really enjoyed our second stay there and are likely to stay again, albeit in a room off the main road!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Eyress
Inns_0f_Character, Rebecca Smith - Manager at The Fleece at Cirencester, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thank you for your feedback, it is always taken on board. We’re really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us again, and next time you visit us, please let me know directly and I will ensure you are allocated a room away from the Market Place. Your lovely dog will always be welcome – we’re all animal lovers here at the Fleece, and we also donate 10% of the fee we charge for pets to a local animal rescue charity, Teckles. We hope to welcome you all back again soon.

Rebecca Smith - Manager and all the team at The Fleece.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I am currently stayin in the hotel while working in Cirencester with my team of four. We have found the fleece to be excellent. The food is also outstanding, I am looking forward to the next 8 weeks in the fleece. Thanks for making us feel welcome.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank robert g
Thank you for your review – we aim to make everyone feel at home at the Fleece, especially our long-stay guests are you are away for so long! We’re looking forward to the next 8 weeks too, with lots going on at the Fleece – you’ll feel like part of the family before you know it!

Surrey
Reviewed August 30, 2012

When my wife and I wanted a short break in the Cotswolds, we decided to try one of the Thwaites inns that are part of the Shires group. We’ve stayed at most of the Shires hotels around the UK - we feel comfortable with the consistent style of the hotels, the facilities, comfort & cleanliness of the rooms, the ambiance of the dining rooms and quality of the food. We also like the fact that the majority of staff are British and that the hotel group appears to have resisted the trend in a lot of other hotels of employing many Eastern European people, presumably to reduce costs. Whilst I applaud the work ethic of many Eastern Europeans, it is refreshing to see British youngsters being given employment and career opportunities.
As The Fleece is an old inn in the centre of the town, there were obviously compromises that the main hotels, which are located next to motorway junctions, do not have to contend with. Parking is one issue which other reviewers have mentioned; we were lucky and always found a parking space in the cramped car park at the rear of the hotel. However, there is a municipal car park nearby for which the hotel can provide a permit to enable guests to park there from 4pm until 10am without charge. Tip: if you have a choice of cars to travel in, the smaller one will make parking much easier in the hotel car park!
We stayed in a standard room towards the back of the hotel. It had no real character, but it was comfortable, clean and tastefully decorated. The shower was good and the windows all opened and closed securely, which is not always the case in old inns. As expected, there was no fridge in the room, but fresh milk was available in a flask on request – so much nicer than the little UHT pots.
Being mid August, it was warm in the room and there was no air conditioning. However, a fan was provided, although we don’t like using these at night because of the noise. With the windows open during the evening, we could easily hear chatter and laugher until around 10:30 pm, so if you have young children to settle down, it could be worth asking for a room that doesn’t back on to noisy areas. As is usual these days, the bed top cover was a duvet, which I always find too hot even in winter, but we were content just to sleep on top of the duvet without covers. I’m sure we could have asked for a light cover of some sort, but we didn’t bother. The pillows were good quality and there were extra ones in the wardrobe, which I was pleased to find.
The breakfast food was a commendable subset of the selection provided in the main Shires hotels. In particular, the fresh fruit salad and summer fruit compote was of high quality, as was the cooked English breakfast. Unexpectedly, we also ate there every evening of our 3-night stay; we were anticipating trying other eating places in Cirencester, but too many items on the menu at the Fleece appealed to us. Another draw was the delicious Half Nelson guest beer!
I concur with other reviewers positive comments about the young, friendly staff and also with the sometimes frenetic activity around the bar, which doubled as a reception. I guess it matches the general bustle of a town centre rather than the more restrained atmosphere of a typical hotel. We quite liked the ambiance it created, although I can see that if there was any serious discussion needed, it could prove difficult when it’s busy.
It was great being able to stroll out from the hotel right into the centre of town after the evening meal, which was a big plus point for us. At the main Shires hotels, there’s often nowhere appealing to walk once you’ve wandered up to the roundabout leading to the motorway or round the business park!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for all of your positive comments, we know that parking can be difficult here, but as you mentioned we try to ease this with the permits we have for an alternative car park nearby. As you know from experience with our sister hotels, it’s the small details that make all the difference – and our fresh flasks of milk are just one of many little touches we use to make our guests feel more at home. I’m pleased you had such a great stay here, and that you enjoyed our menu so much – our Head Chef Steve and his team work tirelessly to ensure we offer the best selection we can. We look forward to your next visit.

Rebecca Smith - Manager and all the team at The Fleece
Durham
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Arrived fresh from a stay in a wonderful four-star hotel so perhaps wasn't expecting too much from The Fleece. But, what a pleasant surprise! The staff (all of them seemed young) were friendly and helpful. We were taken to our room as the corridors were quaint and labyrinthine and giving directions could be a nightmare!
The room was clean and very tastefully appointed in a very modern style. With the windows open, the conversations from the inner courtyard below were sometimes difficult to ignore!
The restaurant was stylish, modern and evoked an easy and relaxed atmosphere. Even though it was mid-week, it was well patronised. Hardly surprising when we tasted the food. Very good fare. I refused to be fazed by the size of the Mixed Berry Sundae!
Two very pleasant nights were had by all; we shall definitely be going back.

Room Tip: Arrive early as there is limited close parking.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paul H
Thank you for your comments and feedback, and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us here at The Fleece at Cirencester.
With a building with such history and winding corridors, we do try and take guests to their rooms, so we can help them along the way! I was pleased to read your comments about the recently refurbished bedrooms and bar, restaurant and lounge, we too are really pleased with the results. And I have to agree – the Summer Berry Sundae is a must on a Summer’s evening!
I really hope we can welcome you back to the hotel sometime soon.

Best regards
Rebecca Smith, Manager at The Fleece and all the team
Cambs, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Arrived at 4 on a very hot Saturday afternoon. Parking available at the back of the hotel on a first come first served basis. All very friendly staff, but busy - so left waiting for a bit. Taken up to our rooms... Kids room which was a twin was very bright and airy (3). Our double room was a bit smaller and dark (2). Nicely decorated-all fine. Didn't stay for too long as we wanted to go out to the shops before they closed. Had a drink in the bar when we got back. Very slow service. 45mins till our drinks came. Went up to our room to freshen up. That is when we noticed that our two rooms overlooked the smoking courtyard. Dreadful! Sound and smoke travels straight into our rooms. Complained. But not very sympathetic. Did offer to move the kids to a different room. But that was all. Kids didn't want to move away from us. Told them that they should let customers know. Wouldn't stay again but food in restaurant was outstanding!

Room Tip: Don't stay in rooms 2 or 3. Overlooking smoking courtyard.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Inns_0f_Character, Rebecca Smith - Manager at The Fleece at Cirencester, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Thank you for your review and all the very positive comments in it about our rooms and food. I am so sorry to read that you were disturbed by other guests on the terrace - we do try to ensure that this area is not used late in to the night, and I know the team did try to police this knowing that you had raised these concerns on the night.
Though on a more positive note, I’m delighted to read you found the food in the restaurant outstanding and I really do hope that you will come back and stay with us, if you call me personally I’ll make sure we allocate rooms away from the terrace for you.

Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

This is a nicely renovated hotel bar in a beautiful town that was lacking anywhere other than pubs for city centre entertainment. But my, they need to train their well meaning and courteous staff in elementary bar tending. Have been four times this year. Each time service confused and slow. Wine not properly chilled. Staff cannot answer simple questions about beverages. Nadir was when I ordered a dry martini and was just given a glass of martini! When I explained what a dry martini was, the batman poured in a 25 ml shot of house gin and thought that was fine. Oh well, it's given me a story I suppose.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jac H
I’m really pleased you like the recently finished refurbishment here at The Fleece at Cirencester. I was concerned to read your comments regarding bar service during your visits, and it is something I have addressed with the team with regards to service standards and their efficiency.
My sincere apologies about the Martini confusion – we don’t currently offer cocktails, which means the team have little knowledge of what goes into them, or how to make them, which should have been communicated to you.
Please do ask for me next time you are in, so I can meet with you in person, and get you a drink with my compliments.

Best regards
Rebecca Smith, Manager at The Fleece and all the team
Wiltshire
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We're local to the area and admire the result of the rennovations to the hotel. I visited in the spring just for a drink with some "girlfriends" and we were well looked after. However, the restaurant didn't measure up in so many ways. The mixed fish grill was three tiny and tasteless pieces of fish, with a pile of thin chips in a bowl. Very poor value for £15+ with no veg. The puff pastry balanced on a "trendy" enamel bowl of steak and kidney was farcical. You know the pastry was cooked from frozen seperately. Quality of meat was very average. Cleaning and spraying tables when we were still eating was unpleasant. Somebody with the knowledge needs to train the nice people serving us, and to pick up many things to raise their game to match their prices.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for leaving a review and I am sorry that you felt that the atmosphere was pretentious as this is most certainly not what we’re aiming for. We work hard to create a relaxed and informal feel throughout all the areas – bar, lounge and terrace – of The Fleece and I’m disappointed to hear that on this occasion we didn’t live up to this. Thank you also for your comments about the menu - we take all of this to heart and will make sure it goes ‘in to the pot’ for the next menu review.

Rebecca Smith - Manager and all the team at The Fleece.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cirencester
Kings Head Hotel
#1 of 1 in South Cerney
The Swan Hotel
The Swan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bibury

Been to The Fleece at Cirencester? Share your experiences!