“lovely evening.”

Ranked #8 of 126 Restaurants in Cirencester
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 16, 2013

This was our first visit to this fab restaurant. We checked it out on trip advisor and we are so glad we chose to go there. The place is small and intimate, with lots of old style charm. You can see the chefs at work too. The starters were lovely, I had the chicken liver terrine and my husband had the sft shell crab. Both were delicious and an ample amount. I had the beef fillet and my husband opted for the rack of lamb, again beautiful food, good sized portions and nicely presented. Ir would be unfair not to mention the waitressses, they were lovely and very helpful. We will most definitely return with friends.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I had a very good quality steak however, the price did not quite reflect what i expected. The quality of meat was great and the accompanying mushrooms where fantastic. The chips where ok, onion rings tasty but small. The only problem being the accompanying peppercorn sauce which in comparison was disappointing as it was very sweet and a let down to everything else it was clear that it was home made but just not quite in keeping with the quality of everything else. The staff where very helpful and offered to rectify it but it was not a big enough deal to make a fuss. I would recommend to anyone highly to go however, be prepared for it to cost a bit more than what you would think. The wine selection is good, but lack of mid range decent reds is noticeable. All being said great little restaurant, good atmosphere and staff.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Lovely setting and very freindly and helpful service but found the food disappointing and expensive for what it was. Husband had scallops and belly pork to start and at £12.50 he should have had a lot more than 2 scallops and a few tiny pieces of pork on his plate! very tasty but just not enough of it. I had cheese souffle which was a bit overdone, quite tasty though but not really worth £8.00. For a main course we both ordered sirloin steak but what came was more like a parisienne steak, again reasonably tasty but not advertised as a parisienne steak and £23.00 is pretty pricey for that! The chips that came with it were not very good though, some of them very overdone.

To be fair they did only charge for one steak when we complained, and the wine was excellent, so all in all not a bad experience, but certainly not the gourmet experience we were hoping for, which was a shame.

1  Thank Pauline J
Reviewed February 2, 2013

My husband and I were quite looking forward to the entertainment value of the terrible service referred to in previous reviews. Happily, this was the only disappointment we experienced at Jesse's Bistro.

The service couldn't have been more warm and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble, from taking our coats, being patient with dithering over menu choices, not batting an eyelid when we asked to share a starter, to taking a genuine interest in our reasons for visiting Cirencester and shaking our hands when we left.

Added to that, the food was delicious and plentiful. The shared starter of scallops and belly pork with celeriac puree threatened to spoil us both for our main courses. Expensive, yes, but well worth it, with beautifully caramelised scallops and crispy confit of belly pork. Both of our main courses were excellent value at about £12.50 each for fresh fish and melting confit of duck. We were only sorry that we had no room for what looked like a carefully nurtured selction of cheeses.

We really enjoyed our evening, which was made all the more pleasant by being made to feel thoroughly welcome.

2  Thank frenchteacher45
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I and three golfing buddies shared a most excellent "committee" lunch shortly before Christmas. With all the excitment of Christmas behind us, I feel I just could not overlook posting a review as this was probably the best lunch out I had all last year - and I had had a few!
From a good sensible menu I began with a goats cheese starter, then a perfectly cooked and excellent sirloin steak (don't forget you pass Jesse Smith the butchers on the way in) with a mouthwateringly delicious sauce, followed by a wonderful treacle tart and ice cream, finishing with coffee and truffles. All washed down with jugs of cold water, a delightful sauvignon blanc, a great bottle of red, and a pudding wine! - all selected by the patron and front of house, Andrew Parffrey. Good job I wasn't driving!
The complete service was super, in fact so good you hardly noticed it, and the young waitresses were delightful. I was most surprised to read of the odd negative Trip Advisor comment as I couldn't fault a thing.
All in all we had a most enjoyable and convivial lunch helped in no small way by the perfect "mine host" and all his staff - including the chefs of course!
I could highly recommend Jesses if in Cirencester and want a "proper lunch". Not that cheap of course, but very good value -for-money.