“Stayed here in 2008, Great Location, Great Breakfast and Lovely Room!”
Review of The Black Horse

The Black Horse
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cirencester
The Black Horse
Ranked #16 of 31 Cirencester B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 28, 2010

Can't remember which room we had but it was large, clean & tidy with a lovely ensuite bathroom. No bad smells! This was a great value inn with very friendly staff & dog. Food and drink prices were reasonable and the Breakfast was so huge we didn't have tme to finish it as we were on a tight schedule. Having read the other reviews I suspect there may be one room that does not live up to the others. Did anyone who put a negative review on here bother to tell the owners of the problem? Only downside was the lack of parking and moving the car around the local pay and display car parks!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kazmidwales

Reviewed September 25, 2010

My partner & I stayed here for one night on the bank holiday weekend. We had originally booked to stay two nights after eating in the pub some weeks previously and finding out that the cost of a double en-suite room was only £50 per night and right in the centre of this beautiful town. Trouble was, the room was dirty, the smell in room was terrible (smelt like a few tom cats had been locked in the room for a few nights and had sprayed all areas) the shower was grubby and mouldy and the carpets horrible. Paint was peeling from the walls and the light fitting was coming away from the ceiling. After trying to find somewere else we had to stay one night (after buying a bottle of Fabreeze and spraying everything with it to try to cover the disgusting smell which I think came from the saniflow toilet in the bathroom) and booked into the nearest hotel for our second night.

It may be cheap but, even so a basic standard of cleanliness and comfort should be expected. The proprietors obviously don't seem to think so and we were given our money back without comment by he staff.....they did not seem at all suprised at our finding rooms elswere. I wonder why!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2010

It has been a while since we were there but my memories of this wonderfully local pub will never fade. We needed a "cheap" base to the Cotswolds and found it here, extending our stay day by day. The accom was spacious and "old fashioned", Mandy was fun and her dog a delight...........making the pub very "homelike". Meals were plentiful and what a delight to wander the pub before the doors were opened for the day. A fabulous venue and location to explore ALL the cotswolds from Bath to Oxford and up to Stratford...................we loved it all. Thank you Jenny in Brisbane Australia

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2009

I had occasion to stay at the Black Horse at the end of Feb. for a few days break. I have read the previous rather detrimental review and I have to say that my experience of this inn could not have been more different. I was greeted on arrival by Stewart who handle my check-in with effiency and friendliness and then showed me to my room. The 'Bingham' was spotlessly clean with a comfortable bed and a powerful, hot shower (very welcome before dinner!). My evening meal served in the bar was good value and very tasty. There was a good seletion of wines on offer, Gary recommending a reasonably priced and very palatable red. I had very comfortable nights and the tea making facilities were most welcome.
Breakfast was a convivial affair with Mandy, the Landlady stopping to chat and ask about my stay. There was a wide choice on offer and when my full English arrived it was well-presented, delicious and hearty. The pub dog 'Jambo' was a welcome addition to the bar and I found his presence not at all unpleasant. This is a very dog-friendly inn and it seemed to me that Jambo was merely enjoying his home.
On the whole I had a very comfortable stay at the Black Horse. If you require an up-market, chain hotel with no character, that is sanitised and expensive then do not stay here. However, should you wish to stay in a comfortable reasonably priced inn with plenty of character and a warm welcome from staff and locals alike then stay at the Black Horse, Cirencester you do much worse!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank YazzEngland
Reviewed March 2, 2009

This trip was meant to be a nice girls weekend away with good accomodation and a good base for the Cotswolds.The Black Horse ruined our weekend.The rooms are vile.
They smell horrendously, they are filthy,no heating, no hot water, terribly untidy in all upstairs area. Carpets are covered in stains. Showers definitely NO GO.
Pub itself ok and breakfast reasonable. Location is good but no parking. My advice is find another central location hotel . £50.00 per room !! Disgraceful.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank WestMidlandsBeth
Reviewed March 28, 2008

Very hospitable Inn, we were made very welcome and great food throughout the day. Mandy & Stewy are very pleasant people and great hosts. Very central location in town of Cirencester and to all areas of the Cotswolds. Very nice English villages to visit within an hours drive.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)