“Nice food, poor poor service”
Review of The Spice Lodge

The Spice Lodge
Reserve with OpenTable
The Spice Lodge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 448 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Thai, Balti
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Located in the former old mansion house on Montpellier Drive, Spice Lodge- Cheltenham's premier Pan Asian restaurant - provides you with a new and exciting taste of Asia. The restaurant is divided into separate areas and dining rooms, each having its own unique style and atmosphere, giving you and your guests as much privacy as you like. We are also able to provide the following services: conferences, wedding receptions, banquets, private parties.
“Nice food, poor poor service”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

This restaurant was highly recommended to me so I went with a couple of friends for a birthday. Table was booked for 8pm but we weren't taken to the table until 9pm, we didn't eat till 10.15pm - we asked for water countless times but it wasn't brought to us, they brought us the wrong wine, the wrong dinner and then we had to ask for the bill twice! The food itself was good when we eventually got it was good but could have gone to a smaller curry house for the same thing and wouldn't have had to spend all night there just to eat a curry. Very disappointed and would recommend smaller curry houses to anyone.

1 Thank yeado
spicelodge11, General Manager at The Spice Lodge, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for your comments on this website.

I wanted to personally reply to you and take your feedback on board to improve the services we offer. Unfortunately it was one of the bad evenings for us but that should not be an excuse when it comes to the service and especially the points you have mentioned. We always determined to provide excellent service to our customers.

I have passed your comment to the owner of the restaurant and on behalf of him I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience.

I would like to offer you a complementary meal for two. Please do not hesitate to contact on dine@spicelodge.com.

Best Regards

cheltenham
“A pleasant evening”
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

We visited the spice lodge on valentines evening and had a very pleasant evening. Upon arrival we were seating in the bar area and offered drinks promptly. When our table was ready we were shown upstairs (some other couples did not want to be seated upstairs as they said it lacked atmosphere). We were seated in a small room with about 6 other couples and a few small groups. We were given just enough time to look at the menu and make a choice before the waiter came over to take our order. The starters arrived after about 10 minutes and the main course about 15 minutes after our plates cleared ( i like to have a bit of time between courses and was pleased there was time to chat between courses. My only niggle was that my food was very spicy. Now I am used to indian food but this was very spicy tandoori chicken and lamb which spoilt the meal a little for me. Overall we had a good evening. The staff were courteous and pleasant and all the ladies were presented with a rose when leaving and the men were given some chocolates. I was pleasantly surprised at the prices and expected them to be higher as the restaurant has won a lot of awards. We will be back to try the spice lodge again and I would definitely recommend to friends.

spicelodge11, General Manager at The Spice Lodge, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Hi andypud61,

Many thanks for your review.

We are certainly looking at on how to improve the upstairs interior and recently we had a very successful meeting with a designer. Hopefully by the end of March 2013 the project will be completed.

I am so sorry to hear that your tandoori chicken and lamb were bit spicy. I have forwarded the review to our Chef and this is something we will certainly look at whilst revise the menu standardization.

We look forward to serving you again.

Best Regards,
Spice Lodge

Join us on Twitter @SpiceLodge
Burnley, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Simply the best !”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

What a great evening I had here when visiting with a group of musicians following a concert. A buffet selection of a variety of dishes kept all tastes happy, I have never been to Indian/Thai restaurant of such quality.The staff were excellant and very attentive. The building and decor added to the charm. What a shame I live 200 miles away !

• Visited December 2012
Sudbury
“Good service, perfect venue”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We were impressed with the restaurant and attentive staff.
We had the vegetarian option but found the range of dishes tasting similar and the food was overcooked, they haven't heard of Al dente clearly. Otherwise a good price at £12.50 each, doubt we will return though sorry.

Visited February 2013
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“indian and elvis”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

first visit to the spice lodge with workfriends for leaving party food was served quickly by effecient staff even chips after request from one of the party drinks seemed overpriced but what made the evening was the elvis impersonator very entertaining and not expected in an indian establishment a satisfactory evening not exceptional but enjoyable

• Visited January 2013