“Empty”
Review of Vanilla - CLOSED

Vanilla
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

Very few diners for over priced food. For eating out in Cheltenham better and cheaper can be found. This is not somewhere we will be revisiting

1  Thank marionk26
There are newer reviews for Vanilla

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We were going to the theatre, so came to Vanilla for their Early-Bird menu, which sounded very good value. Maybe we expected too much because the prices on this menu are quite a bit cheaper than their a la carte and you need to bear this in mind when reading this review.

My wife had the feta and tomato salad as a starter, pleasant enough but insubstantial, the quantity is roughly what you would put into a cheese sandwich to perk it up, one small tomato and a few leaves. I had the cream of cauliflower soup microwaved up to scalding temperature; maybe homemade, maybe not, it wasn't easy to tell. For the main course I had the vegetable tapas plate, a glorified starter really, and my wife the salmon fishcakes. There was nothing wrong with either but equally nothing to enthuse over. On food alone this visit would rate three stars.

But the location is good, the building attractive, the inside a slightly curious mix of decor but very clean and tidy, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. There were two large parties that arrived whilst we were eating, both carrying big cake tins with birthday cakes inside. Whilst in many restaurants this would be frowned upon or rejected when requested, here the staff were very helpful and positive about it, which indicates a very good relationship with their customers. All this bumped up the review to four stars.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Last night as a group of four we enjoyed a very pleasant meal and very good value at two courses for £10.95, you can upgrade to three courses for £13.95, but we were all extremely satisfied with out two course. Although not on the menu we were recommended to request their sausage and mash as the main course by two of our party who are both regular diners at this restaurant. Inside the restaurant is well laid out with plenty of room between the tables. The service we received was excellent and the house red Chilean wine very acceptable. We would recommend the lunch and early bird menu

Reviewed December 31, 2013

I booked a christmas meal for nine friends including myself. The wai ter I booked with was very friendly and helpful. But then the manager stepped in. He was very rude, arrogant and ignorant and told me to forget everything I agreed on with his waiter. We did enjoy the food and the rest of the staff were attentive and helpful. But because of the manager I won't be returning.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Went came for dinner on a Wednesday night, very busy with christmas parties. Groups of between 5 -15 were there.
Menu looked good, plenty of choice. Went to order a wine by the glass, but they had run out so we had to choose another.
Skipped the starter, went for fillet of Beef and the Rissotto as mains. The rissotto was very creamy, and didn't see much artichoke though? The beef I am told was very good, a massive piece of meat.
The desserts were ok. The sauce for the sticky toffee pudding seemed very rich, to the point it could have been slightly burnt? and the cheesecake came with the wrong ice cream.
The prices were slightly more than I would expect, having eaten in places less expensive and had better meals.
I cannot fault the restaurant staff as they seemed to have the large amount of tables and people under complete control, to the point you didn't realise there were that many people there.
I would want to come back and revisit Vanilla, as the food seemed to suffer from the large volume of people.