“Dinner for two”

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Went to Montys for dinner for two and we were straight away greeted with friendly service. Complimentary bread came before our starters with a few different choices, we went for the lemon and thyme and walnut and raisin - first impressions were great! The wine list was quite busy but we went for an understated Vin de france pinot noir for £18 which was fantastic and a perfect partner with our mains. Overall the food very well presented and delicious. To finish we had 2 very interesting cocktails, one made with cucumber! And then two glasses of 1991 port which rounded off a fantastic experience of fine dining! If you're trying out this restaurant for the first time I would recommend you have booked a taxi as the cocktails, wine list and port is not to miss out on.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Ate here on a Sunday evening, firstly the cocktail bar was not open, and the waiter looked like he had been out all night and suddenly realised he had to go to work.
The room is nothing special, and the tables are tightly compacted.
The starters were ok, the Goan curry was very good, and the beef in the beef Wellington superb, although why it's wrapped in a pancake spoiled a good dish.
The sweets were terrible, the sticky toffee pudding tasted like burnt treacle.
There are other restaurants in cheltenham far better .

1  Thank telali2
mj_shaw, Owner at Monty's Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor.
Whilst I am pleased that you enjoyed some elements of your meal, I am very sorry that you were disappointed by other aspects.
Monty’s Cocktail Bar is open Tuesday through Saturday, with live music on a Friday and Saturday. If customers do want cocktails on a Sunday and Monday then there several that we can make from the normal bar in Monty’s.
I was very concerned that you felt one of the waiting staff was really not fit for work. I have addressed this issue with the staff to ensure that they are presentable and capable at all times.
I am pleased that you enjoyed the Goan Seafood Curry and the Beef Wellington. For the Beef Wellington, the fillet steak is pan-fried, brushed with Dijon mustard, then wrapped in a mushroom duxelle coated savoury pancake, it is then wrapped in puff pastry and cooked in the oven. The reason a pancake is used is to hold the fillet’s juices in, otherwise the pastry would be soggy.
I have discussed your comments regarding the desserts to the chefs, the Sticky Toffee Pudding is normally a well received dish and I am sorry that it was poor on the evening you came.
I am sorry that you had a disappointing experience at Monty’s on this occasion, I can assure you that we are better than this and I hope you will revisit at some time when we can display to you our true levels service.
Kind regards
Jeremy Shaw
Owner/Manager
The George Hotel & Monty’s
Cheltenham

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Went to monty's for our company Christmas meal and it was fantastic.

Relaxed but attentive service along side superb food.

Never been before but defiantly will be returning.

1  Thank Alastair P
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We are local and our only disappointment is that we have not eaten here before, we have been missing out. Similar price to some of the other celebrity chef chain type places in town but much better in my opinion. The food was very tasty and well presented. The service was excellent.
We will be going back more often

1  Thank Lee B
Reviewed December 21, 2012

The title of my review says it all. We enjoyed a great lunch on a busy Friday afternoon. Although the prices seemed high, the food was excellent quality. The last time I had a sirloin of such quality I was in an Argentinian restaurant in Amsterdam. Service very attentive too.

Our only complaint was the room acoustics in the restaurant. The volume was far too high for a comfortable conversation. This could easily be fixed with some broadband absorption acoustic panels. Fairly cheap and unobtrusive to do.

Otherwise it was excellent and for the type of occasion we were after, we much preferred the lively buzz to something too somber.

1  Thank bhwh