“Disappointing birthday treat”

Restaurant at The Greenway
Ranked #273 of 473 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Tucked inside a beautiful Elizabethan manor house in Cheltenham, The Greenway offers a touch of luxury where the exquisite modern European cuisine is matched only by the picturesque scenery of the Cotswold Hills surrounding the hotel. Sophisticated and elegant, with plush draped fabrics set against crisp white linens, The Greenway manages to keep its sense of history, with all the mod cons. Using a daily delivery of local produce, Michelin accredited Head Chef Darren Jory creates inventive dishes like bolognaise of Devon duck and tastes and textures of loucestershire Old Spot pig and Granny Smith apples. Charming service and lovely views over the sunken garden and lily pond complete the experience.
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We took a friend to this restaurant as a birthday treat. The meal was OK and set menu price looked good, but there was little atmosphere and the wine cost almost as much as the meal itself. The waiter was remote. We have not returned since.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I ate in the brasserie recently. I stood with the rest of my party in the middle of the restaurant, and although there was staff from the spa in the vicinity, nobody offered to show us to a table or even ask us why we were there. Only one waitress was looking after half a dozen tables. She tried her best but was clearly not experienced. A more senior person served the food, but could not get out of the room quick enough when I complained about the time that the food was taking to arrive.
The food itself was first class and good value but I would not return unless I heard they had increased the numbers of staff and trained them better.

1  Thank Axecroft
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I booked a Masterclass for partner and myself at the restaurant with the head chef followed by lunch. Neither of us were sure what to expect, to be honest I was a little dubious about the idea - how wrong was I?! What a wonderful experience.
The Head Chef Robin Dudley couldn't have been nicer and we had a fabulous time creating dishes we just would never have attempted at home (we will now though!). It was such a great time we have already looked up the next class ready to book our babysitters and book ourselves in.
Following the class we had a delicious lunch in the beautiful fine dining restaurant and then coffee and petit fours in the gardens - helped by the fact it was a glorious sunny day.
I booked it as a birthday surprise for my partner who is fascinated with cookery/cookery programmes. It's getting harder and harder to find interesting things to book as surprises but I can honestly say this was one of the best 'things to do' for adults/couples we've found. Also extremely good value.
I've mentioned Robin by name as we spent most of the time with him but I also want to say every single one of the staff were lovely, professional and friendly - they have been everytime I have visited here.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

This was our first visit to the Greenway for many years but it was just as we remembered, a lovely experience of an elegant way of life. Greeted at the door, we were led to a lovely quiet drawing room for a pre-lunch drink while we chose from the small but good menu. In the very well presented conservatory restaurant, the freshly cooked food did not disappoint and,although quite small portions, three courses for lunch was more than enough. Excellent coffee and petit fours followed. Friendly staff, good food and beautiful surroundings. We will not leave it so long until our next visit.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

My mum and i had afternoon tea last Sunday. It was a birthday treat for her. We were asked to take a seat in the lounge on arrival, there was just one small table available right on the entrance so we took a seat expecting to be seated somewhere else to eat. We ended up staying there even after requesting to move somewhere more suitable. but unfortunately this wasn't possible. Service was very slow, couldn't find any staff at one point to ask for more tea. The sandwiches were ok but very average, Scones- were ok but on dry side, choc eclair was nice, but what was supposed to be lemon drizzle cake was not what id expect as a homemade drizzle cake. it was dense and i would say a cake that had gone wrong.. we didn't even try the fruit cake... To be honest it was embarrassing as this was meant to be a treat. Certainly would not recommend for a special occasion and not worth the money

2  Thank LAURA B