“Skilled restaurateurs” 5 of 5 bubbles

Lumiere
Ranked #2 of 440 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Cuisines: European, British, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Lumière is intimate fine dining restaurant set in the heart of beautiful, Regency Cheltenham. Run by Chef Jon Howe and his partner Helen. Lumière offers a short inspirational menu and friendly, informative service. Jon excels in being able to put a new and interesting twist on traditional dishes, the menus change frequently allowing Jon to make the most of the fresh produce available to him.
Herts
“Skilled restaurateurs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2008

In December, shortly before a winter break in California, my wife broke the news to me that she had decided to pursue a vegan diet. As an enthusisatic carnivore, I found the decision perplexing, but as love conquers everything, have adjusted my dining antennae to those places which can accommodate her tastes.

Surprisingly, across California - from Healdsburg to Palm Springs via San Fran and LA, we struggled. Accordingly, when we recently realised that we'd be in Cheltenham for the weekend and wanted some good quality food (we stayed at the hotel du vin - whose food is nothing to write home about), I was not full of hope.

How wrong I was. Lumiere is a proper restaurant. From the front of house, skilfully and humorously marshalled by Lin Chapman (who reminded me of Kathy Lette - the writer), to expertly crafted and well delivered food, this is a place run by people who care about their customers and who clearly put a lot of themselves into their work (Geoff had been off sick for some days before we arrived - but managed a "most wonderful" [per my wife] pair of vegan dishes at a few hours notice - rather better than either The Square or the Greenhouse in London managed - with a week's notice).

The salty caramel ice cream was an especial highlight - for which I will return.

So - top marks guys, great food, professionally delivered and excellent value.

1 Thank sd1968

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Small but hits the spot...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2008

Small but hits the spot. great food

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Food was excellent. Csy...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2007

Food was excellent. Csy atmosphere. Owner can be a bit in your face and hence the lower score.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“This may well be my favourite restaurant in the UK. I've stayed in Cheltenham twice and the second time it was pretty...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2007

This may well be my favourite restaurant in the UK. I've stayed in Cheltenham twice and the second time it was pretty much so I could come back and eat here. It's a small place with nice muted decor which only does one dinner sitting. So you don't feel turned here, you can sit down, relax and have a fantastic evening. The service is effortless and feels very personal. The wine list is well chosen and affordable. But what really sets this aside is the food which is incredible. Fois gras with a strip of crispy pork belly... gorgeous meltingly soft springbok with a delicious reduction... stilton cheesecake with a brulee crust or even the "one perfect cheese" which is regularly offered on the dessert menu. You can finish up with their delicious hand made truffles before wandering out contented onto the promenade in Cheltenham safe in the knowledge that you're unlikely to eat so well again until next time.