“Great Food but lacks a bit of atmosphere”

Le Champignon Sauvage
Ranked #14 of 460 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have eaten here now on a number of occasion's and the food has always been of the highest standard. The dishes are fantastic to look at and to eat with the combinations of taste always a delight. The decor, service and general appearance of the restaurant are well done, however, I have notices on a couple of visits the place lacks a bit of atmosphere and needs to loosen up a bit. Well worth a visit for the food you will not be disappointed.

There are newer reviews for Le Champignon Sauvage

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Perhaps it's me but good food, good wine is always a pleasure to experience, but just as important is good company that creates good fun and a great atmosphere. We dined recently on a Saturday evening with two friends. As a table of four enjoying the well presented food and a few glasses of wine, it was noticeable that the majority of all of the other diners, were less than impressed that we were laughing and having a good time. For those serious foodies it is a must to try.....

1  Thank NDFarmer01
Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

Came here for my birthday supper and was overwhelmed. The work ethic the head chef here has shows in his polished and confident cooking. The fact that this place isn't no. 1 in Cheltenham on this site demonstrates that some of these reviews are to be taken with a pinch of salt! (not this one though) Excellent wine list (Cloudy Bay cheaper here than Purnells); their amuse bouché was glorious (it could have only been improved by being ten times the size), and my particular favourite was the venison main course (my friends had food envy). Staff were attentive, informed and kind, explaining bits of the menu for us with patience and I left nicely full and slept very well indeed. I've got to go back there ASAP.

1  Thank Sherbertlemon
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We dined here on Easter Saturday, travelled from our home town, stayed in a local hotel specifically to dine here and we were not disappointed. The service was very good, attentive but not too much so. We chose the tasting menu with the wine flight. The food was exceptional. Each plate was cleverly crafted and each mouthful enjoyed.
We wont do a a wine flight again as some of the wines were not to our taste, but thats just personal to us. That said, it was very good value.
The decor is a little odd. We have dined at other 1 & 2 star resturants who have more of a classy and even homely, comfortable feel to them. Le Champignon is a little basic. Although throughout the evening the ambience did get better - this could of been the wine!
Overall a wonderful experience and we would reccomend.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I was originally from the area and have eaten here many times for family, friends and special occasions.

I've put last year, but over the last four I've been here many times, the below is a reflection on all my visits.

The first thing that strikes you is the small, welcoming dining are that is not stuffy and has a gentle feel of class to it, this restaurant is not pretentious in any way what so ever, Helen, front of house has always made us feel welcome and at ease.

Some high end restaurants can make some people uncomfortable with stuffy dress codes and business men and woman scoffing on company accounts, you do not get that here; it is suitable for you to celebrate your lottery winnings or a wonderful casual lunch with friends, either way you will be treated the same and will no one will give you a second glance, that’s hard to do in a place that has such high accolades to live up to each day.

The Food – the most important bit; to use one word, it would be brilliant!
I would say the bacon and shallot brioche is the best bread I have eaten ever, I do mean ever!
It’s subtle flavours are enough to instantly know what is in it but not over powering or lingering too long to cover the next morsel you eat.

The mains are cooked to perfection and look as they should do for a restaurant that holds two stars, and the usage of local and season ingredients is evident on the menu when ever you go in, even the butter, I believe is locally made.
It’s the small touches like this that make a meal worth while, knowing every aspect has been looked into.
Being able to taste each part of the dish with complementing textures from start to finish is always met with delight when I put the food into my mouth, you can’t ask for much more.

The food is well priced for a restaurant in this class and fits most budgets.

The Wine – extensive list of wines and the front of house are very good in helping you with your choice for all budgets and food… there is no pressure to go all out and no glares when chose the house or a smile when chose the higher price range.

In many fine restaurants I feel like telling the sommelier to bog off (to be polite!) and learn some manners as the patronising look you get when chose something he/she may not say is the most suitable, it’s your palate not theirs, Sommeliers’ are the only thing I dislike from high end restaurants, some of them need a reality check- this doesn’t happen here, which just makes the experience more enjoyable.

I will continue to eat here for as long as they keep their door open - it is one of the best places I’ve eaten.