“This does not deserve two Michelin stars”

Le Champignon Sauvage
Ranked #14 of 460 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Very pleasant meal, but not outstanding. Restaurant decor etc upgraded from my previous visit many years ago and is now more appropriate for the rating, but the food isn't there yet. The service also isn't at that level: eg our amuse bouche came in a tall shot glass, but couldn't be drunk as the crusty top was too solid and we had no spoon; even when I tipped it upside down in sight of a waitress, there was no check that there wasn't a problem. Eventually, we had to make a noise to get a spoon. Our starters were disappointing: monkfish with caramelised onions had a good sauce and the fish was beautiful, but the onions just had burnt tips, while corned beef with steak tartare was OK, but missing something to make it special. Mains of lamb and duck were good and the cheese selection was excellent. The wine list is more extensive than it was when I last went and still has some good and relatively inexpensive wines.

2  Thank wilburoo
There are newer reviews for Le Champignon Sauvage

Reviewed March 14, 2013

To me this place is everything a restaurant should be. Nice, unsnooty, welcome. Good comfortable tables with plenty of space. A supberb menu of interesting dishes combining just the right amount of tradition and innovation, there are simpler dishes alongside more experimental dishes but all have great ingredients masterfully cooked. A good value and well sourced wine list ices the cake for me. I cannot think of any negatives for this restaurant, i think it is excellent, one of my UK favourites. I must say i have only eaten here twice as i live miles away but based on my experience if you want fine dining this is about as good as it gets in this price bracket and frankly those few places that do bat a bit hgher are too up their own, well you get my gist. Try ithe champignon, you wont regret it!

1  Thank Elpescadosucio
Reviewed March 10, 2013

The food here is truly fantastic. Inventive, delicious and stands up to comparison with the very best available in Britain. We had flavour combinations we have never seen before in any of London's top restaurants and really felt there was a genius in the kitchen. There is no question that it deserve two Michelin stars - and we can highly recommend the tasting menu as a very memorable culinary experience. If you are in the least bit "foodie" don't hesitate. It's also good value given what you get.

However, this place is odd. It's on a random A road with zero atmosphere outside and looks utterly ordinary from the street. Inside the decor is fine but more like a local place than one of Britain' best restaurants. It was also a bit empty and so lacking buzz, which is unusual in a restaurant like this (and we think totally undeserved!). The service we had was very pleasant indeed but given the slight oddness of the whole place we can believe those who found it patchy. Toilets are like the loos in your local curry house - clean and fine but somehow incongruous. In a way it just goes to show how amazing the food really is that this restaurant has two Michelin stars while having such an ordinary ambiance.

Go, think of it as your amazing find of brilliant unexpected genius, rather than expecting a "polished Michelin experience", and we think you will love it.

Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

From the minute we went in to leaving we were treated to the best service and food we can honestly say we have tasted in our lives. My girlfriend and I were celebrating her birthday and our anniversary the owner Helen I believe made us feel very special with the little touches that you would only get in a top rated establishment. If your looking for the very best then you can do no wrong here.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We arrived slightly early for our 7.30pm booking but were greeted at the door and promptly seated. The Dinning room is warm and welcoming with a relaxed atmosphere.

All the staff were friendly and helpful and the service started as very prompt and attentive.

We were instantly offered drinks and canapés arrived within minutes. There were a selection of canapés are all were stunning in flavours. I especially loved the Parmesan moose covered in Chorizo crumb.

We opted for the tasting menu however be advised its only offered early in the evening understandably as we were there till for nearly 4hours.

There was a varied offering of bread and if we had wanted it would of continued to flow. However we saved ourselves for the large amount of dishes to follow.

Every dish was as pretty as a picture and although some dishes had a lot of elements everything on the plate added something.

We have been lucky enough to dine at many Michelin Starred restaurants and the one thing that stood out was the portion size. They certainly dont scrimp and you wil not leave hungry.

My only slight gripe would be they were slightly slow in removing the empty plates as the restaurant became busier.

We also added the Cheese course for 1 @ £10 this was plenty for both of us. The selection of cheese is amazing and definitely worth the extra.

We live very close to Cheltenham and have never visited here before as we do a lot of research online and found the website poor. However thanks to some twitter critics we read a taster menu was available and a rave review sold it.

I would strongly reccommend a meal here and would return again.