“Two Michelin stars? Really?” 3 of 5 bubbles

Le Champignon Sauvage
Ranked #12 of 440 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Cuisines: French, European, British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Two Michelin stars? Really?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

We had a dinner in this restaurant on a Wednesday night and I have to say, it was really not busy, not what you would expect from a 'famous' restaurant like this. We had two robot girls serving us, I am sure you all know the type, must admit the host lady was very good, how it should be at this level but the girls were not to two star standards. Had a bottle of Bordeaux and it was very warm, far warmer than the 18-20 celsius I would expect. Had an amuse bouche of butternut squash mousse with smoked bacon foam, the smoked bacon flavour was so overpowering could not really taste the squash. I know it is only an amuse bouche but it was served in a two michelin star place so I expected better...Starter, veal ravioli was average. Main course, fillet of lamb arrived on a very hot plate but very cold, not just not hot enough but actually cold. Again, in any restaurant it would be disappointing but at this level it is unacceptable. Pudding was finally something really good and coffee and petit fours were ok, too. Overall disappointed, there are many restaurants around much better than this. I am sure they did not get their two stars based on an experience we had but I don't think it's enough to give proper service and proper food to the inspectors only but the same should be served and in the same way to everyday customers, too. Also sent an email to the restaurant explaining my experience, they did not bother to answer - this just confirms they don't care about customers, put it in plain english their head is stuck up in their....21st century, customer should come first, if they cannot adapt to this than after so long in the fame they not going to last much longer. Come on, two Michelin stars, I should not be able to just pick the phone up and book a table, they should be fully booked for the next six months, admit it, something gone wrong!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank attilabenko

• Polish first
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Fine dining .... but a bit of a morgue”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

Excellent standard of cooking and presentation; but shouldn't that be a given at those prices and with a Michelin star? I wasn't taken with the choices on offer, however, and have found a similar problem each time I check their menu. Perhaps we are simply not on the same wavelength? Service was overly hushed and deferential, which I detest,and the atmosphere....well, there wasn't one! We were in and out in less than two hours which is going some for 5 courses...driven away by the garish tableware and our inability to retrieve our wine from wherever the waiter had hidden it. Don't go there for a fun night out...

4 Thank slicvic13
“Perfect Cooking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

We tried the set lunch on a Friday in November and were surprised to see how quiet it was - the quality of the food served to us demands a wider audience - it was faultless. They also had the best wine list we have seen in a long time - also offering superb value. Many wines under £30, unusual at a restaurant of this level. Great place - go there.

1 Thank jsnoble
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Amazing value for such splendid cooking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

The tasting menu (£85) and accompanying wine flight (£25) represent such remarkable value for such a culinary tour de force that one could be forgiven for thinking that there must be areas where the restaurant falls down. This is not the case: from the warm welcome to the unstuffy restaurant atmosphere everything here is a delight!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“Formidable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

How many restaurants have you been where you can be sure the head chef will be at the stove wether it is lunch,dinner,wednesday or saturday?not many and this is one the many reasons why I Iove Le Champignon Sauvage.
My mother was visiting from France last month so i thought I would treat her to lunch,we were greated at the door and felt very welcome and at ease,unlike most Michelin starred restaurant I have been(a fair few)the restaurant is classy and very comfortable but not over the top,the waiting staff were attentive but not pushy or intrusive.
As for the foods,the restaurant smelled of freshly baked bread and it was!!beeing French this is a very important part of the meal and it definitly kept my mum happy.I had the "corned beef" starter and It was one of the best dish I have had in a long time,to follow with Venison with quinoa and wild garlic,strong,really good flavour combinasion.We didn"t have time to have deserts but the coffee came with an amzing selection of petit fours including nougat,dark chocolate truffle,brownie,white chocolate marzipan,mini rhum baba,pate de fruit.

We really enjoyed our lunch and can"t wait to come again,highly recommended!!!!

• Visited September 2012