“Great hotel, lovely stay”

Hotel du Vin Cheltenham
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed February 11, 2014

This is our second stay and as we approached I remembered that parking can be an issue but we found a space on the front car park which was great. The hotel is beautifully fitted and decorated and hadn't changed much in the 4 years since our last stay. This time we stayed in Krug, a superior room with a massive bathroom, roll top bath and walk in shower...fantastic.
Some nice touches you don't find in other hotels, fresh milk for tea and coffee, iron and ironing board for re-ironing because of my rubbish packing, and a nespresso machine. The room was quiet, the bed was huge and comfy so all was great.
Dinner was fantastic, the service was great, prompt and friendlyand the Sommelier was really good and made us a great recommendation for a bottle of red and 2 dessert wines.
My only gripes would be that the service in the bar was slow and disorganised. I asked for a sherry and the (admittedly young) barman didn't have a clue. The timely entry of a more senior member of staff sorted the issue. Pre dinner cocktails were exceedingly slow, the bar was busy at that point but the wait was excessive. I got the impression that the bar staff were either new and/or inexperienced.
Small gripe though....everything else was great.
Hotel du Vin breakfast is always a winner, and the best end to a short but lovely stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lowey73
Write a ReviewReviews (1,064)

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Service = 9, Room (cleanliness, amenities, space, position) = 10, food = 9

Throughly enjoyed our mini break. Great situation. Fab place to just relax and unwind. I love the bar area and the spiral stir case down to the restaurant. The main area would be great for a wedding or party.
Well worth the money paid.
Would I go again - yes definitely.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Penny G
Reviewed February 8, 2014

A simple Friday lunch. Nice burger; well presented, tasty and with good fries. But what made the difference was the lovely service. Engaging. smiling and attentive. Makes such a difference when someone is clearly proud of their job.

It had been a while since I'd last visited and I always remembered that good service was a feature of the restaurant so it was nice to see the tradition was continuing. Hope the new manager keeps these standards high.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 5, 2014

My Partner & I stayed in the Moët Vintage Suite for his a birthday a few weeks ago. My goodness, what an experience!!! As we entered the suite I was speechless at how incredible the room was. It had 2 roll top baths that were lay side by side and were dazzling white just calling your name. The power of the showers were refreshing & fabulous. The bed was enormous & so comfortable it made it very hard to get out of. After a few hours relaxing in the Suite we ventured to the bar for a few cocktails that were just fabulous & then enjoyed a meal that if I could sum it up in one word it would simply be 'divine!' I had the beef bourginon while my partner devoured the steak claiming it was the best he had ever had! Breakfast again was incredible, with such a wonderful choice of mouth watering pastries & scrumptious breakfast options. The surroundings were pleasant & calm with a warm & welcoming atmosphere. We will most definitely be visiting here again. Thank you so much for a truly wonderful experience !

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2014

The first time I visited Hotel du Vin for a group meal after racing was absolutely fantastic. Brilliant wine, fabulous service, and the food was wonderful. Could not have rated the place more highly. Expecting similar treatment, I returned with a smaller group at Easter. We waited nearly an hour before anyone took our food order. There were drinks on the table, but that was it. We were told that this was because of a staff shortage, but that did not appear to affect the other tables being served. I was very disappointed, having had such a positive experience previously. The food was still cooked beautifully, but having such bad service affected the whole meal. I will certainly not be returning, or recommending that anyone else does. Such a pity when the venue has so much going for it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
GM-HDV-Cheltenham, General Manager at Hotel du Vin Cheltenham, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank-you for your recent review.

We are obviously disappointed to hear such feedback, however I can assure you that since Easter 2013 the service has been improved as you will be able to see from the reviews since then.

I am very confident that should you choose to return again in the near future you will not be disappointed.

We hope that you do give us a chance to restore your faith within HDV Cheltenham.

Kind Regards

Reviewed January 27, 2014

What a fabulous Sunday Brunch for only £24.95...FOUR courses....soup, followed by a splendid seafood platter (as much as you can eat), then the main course, finnished off with a mouth watering sweet. Not only is this the best in Cheltenham but chances are you wont be able to finnish your meal,(as we couldnt), it is just brilliant and so much of it....PERFECT.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent visit for our Sunday Brunch.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our Sunday Brunch with it's "French Market Table" recently. Since it's launch it has been a very popular offering within Cheltenham offering a wide variety of choices and great value for money.

We hope to see you again on a Sunday very soon.

Kind regards

General manager

Reviewed January 23, 2014

We stayed here on the Christmas package. The room was a little on the small size, particularly given some of the massive rooms I've enjoyed at other hotels in the chain. However, it was clean, nicely laid out and comfortable.

The restaurant and general environment of this hotel is fantastic. The aim of the group I think is to provide a boutique hotel experience at a realistic price, and they manage this perfectly. The staff are well turned out and extremely helpful. The bar and restaurant and beautifully designed and laid out. The details are well considered and well put together.

The quality of service is what puts it into the excellent category. From the first person you see at breakfast to the late night receptionists.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Many thanks for your recent review following your stay with us over the festive period.

We were delighted to read such positive feedback as it is always nice to know when we have made a guests stay that much more memorable.

Our prices and details for December 2014 will be released very soon so be sure to keep your eye on our website for all the best deals and packages.

Kind Regards