“Great budget hotel!”

Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“Great budget hotel!”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

My friend and I stayed here at the weekend for one night as we were in Cheltenham for a pamper day. We really enjoyed our stay here. The staff on the reception were friendly and helpful. Our room was comfortable and spacious and had all the amenities we needed. The bathroom was clean, however the curtains in the bedroom were a little bit dirty.The decor was a bit quirky, we had a blue room with blue fluffy curtains which gave a nice calm, relaxing feel to the room.There was a good choice of food for breakfast, toast, croissants, cereal, pastries and also some fried food! We thought it was excellent value for money. The only down side is the check out time at 10.30am is a bit early and you have to pay an extra £10 if you want to stay a bit longer and check out at 12pm. However, the friendly guy on reception said we could leave our luggage in a secure room at the hotel whilst we wondered around Cheltenham for a couple of hours before catching our train home. We would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors and facing away from the road would have less outside noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jessica G
TBSH G, Owner at The Big Sleep Hotel Cheltenham, responded to this review, March 30, 2016
Thank you for taking the time to write a review based on your recent stay at The Big Sleep Hotel, Cheltenham. We always appreciate guest feedback whether it constructive or praise. I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed elements of your stay with us. Thank you again for taking your time to leave a review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Edinburgh
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I had booked this hotel as a stopping off place on a long drive. It was easy to find - but getting down late from Scotland was a little disappointed to find on arrival that the car park at the hotel was full. But there was a good public car park nearby with plenty of space. On checking in was greeted by two lovely girls at reception... they certainly were most welcoming... and even told me how beautiful my wee dog was. He was staying with me and one reason I chose this hotel. On getting to my room I was very surprised to find just how spacious it was - it was also very clean and also nice and warm. The bathroom was just as spacious and I certainly enjoyed the shower. A nice central location and not too noisy either - even for a Saturday stop over. Even though my little dog was staying ... the room was fresh and did not smell of dogs. Good night sleep... and loved the Orla Kiery inspired breakfast room. As a vegetarian was happy enough with the food... and had toast with marmalade, cereal, yoghurt and two nice coffees.. and a boiled egg - it certainly set me up for the rest of my journey. I would happily stay here again... and I thought that is was certainly excellent value for money. If you are looking for a nice, slick no frills hotel to spend a few days in when in the Cheltenham area... you certainly should not rule out the Big Sleep... we all had a very pleasant stay. Well done to all the lovely staff who were all so cheery as well!

Room Tip: Was in a large room to the back on the fourth floor - was certainly fine by me!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WeeBasilRathbone
TBSH G, Manager at The Big Sleep Hotel Cheltenham, responded to this review, March 30, 2016
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I stayed one night in the suite with my Girlfriend and it was what we expected and more for what we paid :) lovely deep bath nice and big, a rain shower and a huge bed not so much of a view but it was nice and relaxing. breakfast was what you expect in a hotel cereal, fruit, pastry's etc and a pleasant reception

Room Tip: Suite all the way we also stayed in a budget room which is called a budget room for a reason...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joe H
London
Reviewed September 17, 2013

The plus points here were a good location and the idea of this hotel is fine but it has really seen better days. If you are going for a "no frills but fun" approach then the place needs to be clean and fresh, but this place is seriously battered and my room was not very clean, unfortunately. Staff were OK, and there was a LOVELY guy on reception this morning but the rest of the staff look a bit depressed, and no wonder as the first impression as you walk in is grubby, grey and a bit down at heel. The windows in my room were filthy, chunks had been knocked out of the desk and the beds are flat and like a student dorm, and the vibe of this place is just slightly "rough". The ironing boards in the hallway are so burnt and knackered that I am amazed anyone would touch them, let alone iron a shirt on them. Breakfast is just about OK but very cheap and not cheerful, and the whole breakfast room needs a lick of paint. Sorry not to be able to post a more positive review, as this sort of place usually suits me just fine, but ultimately - YUCK! All this for £60 for a Monday night. Had it been £39.99 I might have been a bit kinder!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review based on your recent stay at The Big Sleep Hotel, Cheltenham. We always appreciate guest feedback whether it constructive or praise. I am sorry to read that your stay was not to your liking and that you did not enjoy elements of your stay with us. Thank you again for taking your time to leave a review.

Travelers are raving about these Cheltenham hotels

bristol
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Ok so to start off, I stayed here as a freebie after my disgusting stay at the Big Sleep, Cardiff. Had the executive suite by way as a sorry so can't really comment on the standard rooms. However.... It's clean, its fresh, the reception staff were polite and helpful, breakfast was basic but plenty there (toast, pastries, yoghurts, bacon, sausage etc etc) the staff continually cleaned the food areas and topped up. Position of the hotel is ideal. The room was spotless, showers hot, nice big towels (really really really if I want to be pathetic the windows needed cleaning and the free shower gel smells like your nan, and that's being unfairly picky) you get discount at a few eating places by showing your room card abd paperwork.
Would I stay there again, yes. I really can't believe this hotel is part of the same chain as the Cardiff hotel, the contrast is remarkable! It's a budget hotel while a quirky deco twist (our room was pink with flamingo wall paper) give it a go!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bristol1973
STAFFORDSHIRE
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Great hotel for the price , spotless spacious comfortable rooms, and very helpful staff. The breakfast was extremely good for a budget hotel and the hotel is very central. Within easy walking distance of restaurants and bars.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BIRDSTAFFORDSHIRE
BRISTOL
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed here as part of a hen party. It's fine for this purpose as the location is really good - it's right in the centre of town. 3 of us stayed in the family room which was huge. This comprised of a seperate dining table & chairs and a seperate sofa area and then a double bed & 2 bunk beds. On first glance it seems ok, but when you look closely it could benefit from a deep clean. Everything was quite shabby looking and knocked about. The cream sofas were well worn (wrong colour in a budget hotel) and the furry curtains (as many have mentioned before) are horrendous and none of us wanted to touch them. The beds were extremely uncomfortable and unfortunately we didn't get a great night's sleep. It's fine for the purpose of a hen party, but if I was staying here for any purpose I would be extremely disappointed. The breakfast offering was pretty poor looking so we didn't bother. Parking very limited so get there early. Extra charge for this which I think was £6 for 24 hours so not too bad. Public areas were quite clean and tidy, just bedrooms need major renovations. Staff were very pleasant which was a major plus point.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends