“DO NOT STAY”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Me and my wife visited yourself late april this year as was recommended by a friend and well at first I couldnt park my car as was told I would just have to wait til 1 becomes available, it took sometime for the receptionists to notice I was their after discussing what they did the day/night before they werent really welcoming.
A smelly dog behind reception that was wet and stinking wet dog yet you do not allow dogs in the hotel strange.
Room was nice how ever would I stay again I wouldnt.
The back stair case is also very dirty and not very inviting.
Breakfast in montys was good didnt do dinner as looked pricey.
The location was good but wanted to travel a bit further out but couldnt dare move the car once I had a space.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank rex195
mj_shaw, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I do appreciate receiving any feedback and I would like to assure you that all comments are taken very seriously and are acted upon accordingly.

On a positive note I was pleased that you were happy with your bedroom and breakfast in Monty’s.

I am sorry that your arrival was disappointing for a number of reasons. We are normally commended for our high levels of customer service and especially our friendly Reception team get mentioned in reviews regularly. However, on this occasion it is certainly apparent from your comments that they weren’t offering the level of service that they should have been. I agree, it is very irritating when you arrive somewhere and you are not acknowledged – I will certainly be speaking to the team about this.

I am sorry that you had trouble parking. Although we are in the town centre, we are lucky enough to have a large number of free parking spaces. I was sorry to hear that none were available when you arrived and you should have been advised where additional parking can be found. There is a large public car park opposite the hotel and free short term parking is available on the street.

The ‘wet and smelly’ dog belongs to me and I am sorry that you found him unpleasant. You are quite correct in that we do not accept dogs in the hotel bedrooms or into the Restaurant. Oscar is normally in my office but does also spend short periods of time behind Reception, he should not be behind Reception when he is wet and smelly and this is something that we need to be much more mindful of. I am sorry the he added to your disappointment.

Your comments regarding the back stairs have been noted, this is a difficult one – I agree that if you do enter the hotel this way it does not give the best first impression. As well as guests coming in this way when parking at the back, it is also used for most of our deliveries, of which there are many. It is difficult to maintain a smart looking back entrance with numerous delivery trolleys coming through daily. Your comments though have, prompted me to look at it with fresh eyes.

I am sorry that your stay was memorable for all the wrong reasons but you can rest assured that we will be making some changes.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

We used the private room (back one) for a private party and most of us also stayed over. The room ambience was perfect, the staff was attentive but not intrusive. All of our guests felt very welcome. The food was delicious. Thank you for making our special day memorable.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

I was delighted to read your lovely kind and positive review about your recent private party in The Montpellier Room. It was great to hear that you all had a good time and enjoyed everything about the private dining experience.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Owner

Reviewed May 8, 2014

Stop over for one night with a group on business. Perked my car in the hotel car park at ther rear and entered the hotel from the car park which instantly gave me the wrong impression via a scruffy stairway. The room was well appointed and clean and good value at £110. We all had dinner at Montys where the service and quality of food was really good. Highly recommend The George Hotel for business or pleasure.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for posting a kind review about the hotel and also for writing a very positive review on the Restaurant Trip Advisor site regarding Monty's Brasserie.

I am pleased you liked the bedroom and found it to be good value and especially pleased you had a great meal in Monty's. Your comments regarding the entrance from the back car park have been noted and I do agree that if you have to park at the back which isn't always ideal you do have to enter the hotel through the door and corridor that is used for all our deliveries, of which there are many on a daily basis. We have, in the past, tried different ways to improve it and perhaps we now need to have another think.

I do appreciate receiving your comments and feedback all of which are taken seriously.

Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

I spent a fantastic night at this place with the woman I adore. The bath and shower were divine and sized right for two.

In the middle of fashionable Cheltenham, but we spent the day in bed.

Food was in Monty's downstairs. Wonderful food.

We worked up an appetite for breakfast where I had my first taste of Gloucestershire Old Spot sausages.

Wonderful memories.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
mj_shaw, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Thank you for the review.
Delighted to hear you had a great time with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Owner

Reviewed April 28, 2014

The hotel is great for a relaxing stay or as a centre for Cheltenham and area. While fairly central we had no problem parking within 15 yards of the front entrance. Breakfast at Monty's was very good. Access to off site fitness facilities was provided, though we didn't have time on this visit to use them.

Room Tip: Not directly over Monty's on a Saturday night.
1  Thank Brian R
mj_shaw, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post such a kind and positive review. I was delighted to learn that you had a great stay and particularly enjoyed breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future when hopefully you'll have time to visit Fitness First, which is just a short stroll from the hotel.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

We stayed at the George for one night due to attending the races. After being a little unsure when entering from the lower back entrance due to where we parked the car, we were pleasantly surprised when we reached the hotel reception. The staff could not have been more polite, friendly or helpful, even printing off a gym itinerary for my partner to attend classes the following morning.
The room we stayed in was a classic double and was spotlessly clean and very comfortable indeed. The bathroom was actually a wet room and was stunning whilst again being spotless. The seating area in the room was comfortable and perfect for watching DVDs borrowed free of charge from hotel reception.
We ordered the continental breakfast in the room on the morning that we left and it was delicious. Everything we requested was delivered and the food was of a vey good standard.
Once we checked out, we had time before walking to the racecourse and so stayed in the comfortable lounge in the reception area to have a coffee. Again, the staff were polite and friendly and we in no way felt rushed to leave, despite having checked out an hour before.
I would definitely stay here again and look forward to planning my next trip.
Only downside is no lift, which is fine when only staying for a night but would be hard to carry heavy luggage up 2 flights of stairs.

1  Thank E B

I was delighted to learn that you had a great stay and enjoyed the Races. I was especially pleased to learn that you were so happy with the hotel, staff and the level of service you received throughout your stay.

With regards to luggage, we should always offer to help with any bags - I do hope you were asked when you arrived.

I look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon.

Owner The George Hotel & Monty's Brasserie

Reviewed April 14, 2014

Stayed for 1 night and only 1 fault with the hotel. I have a back problem and find stairs difficult, but they have no lift. The receptionist was very helpful and found us a room with just 1 flight of stairs, but I think it would be much more of a problem for wheelchairs etc. The room was very clean, and staff were very helpful and pleasant and the hotel is just a few minutes from the shops and restaurants etc. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Be aware there is no lift.
1  Thank Lil W

Thank you for your taking the time to write a review following your recent stay. I was pleased to note that we were able to change your accommodation to a more suitable room. Being a Grade 2 * listed building we are unable to install a lift but we do have two rooms that can be reached by just one flight of stairs.

I was delighted to read that you would stay again and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Owner The George Hotel & Monty's Brasserie