“Top notch staff”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I stayed in the junior suite for a business trip and enjoyed my stay. The hotel is dated but has upgraded the rooms with a great bathroom including walk in shower and soaking tub. The highlight of the charming property is the top notch staff. whether it was the front desk or restaurant staff everyone was very helpful and friendly which is not always a given in the UK for the service industry.

• Stayed: July 2011

Reviewed July 26, 2011

Just returned from a long weekend at this lovely hotel with my daughter. It was a great experience from start to finish. Every member of staff was welcoming and helpful and particularly so in Monty's Brasserie, the in-house dining area and bar, where Max and his team provided excellent service and went out of their way to make each guest feel special in an enthusiastic yet professional way. There was a great atmosphere in the downstairs Cocktail Bar on Friday and Saturday night, with live music. Dinner on Sunday really was first class - the scallops were exquisite and my daughter's steak was cooked perfectly exactly as she'd asked for it - and combined with the Sunday night accommodation deal we felt it represented excellent value.

The hotel achieved a beautifully contemporary and calm feel in an older building with well appointed and furnished bedroom and bathroom, with gorgeous thick fluffy towels. It was a nice quiet location but extremely well placed for exploring Cheltenham Town Centre and surrounding area.

Would definitely recommend this hotel and look forward to returning in the not too distant future!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I would just like to say how fantastic our stay was at The George Hotel this weekend. Right from our arrival until our departure the staff here were so welcoming, friendly, polite and professional. We stayed in a Junior Suite overlooking the main road, and I have to say it was so clean, inviting and just fab! The bathroom was amazing with quality fittings with a walk in shower and separate freestanding bath all of which was so clean, the chrome was polished and the mirrors were gleaming, I love a clean bathroom and this was just lovely, felt like I was at home but posher! The bed was very comfy, again with spotless linen. There was a very good choice at breakfast and again the staff were great, nothing was too much trouble. My Husband and I both have busy lives and wanted a peaceful romantic getaway, we had just that at The George, we loved it and will be back in November for my Hubbys Birthday..thank you so much..

Reviewed July 25, 2011

Stayed for a weekend during July and was impressed with the hotel and its staff.

It's an old building with no lift, and since I need crutches to walk we were given the room with the least stairs to get too. Very nice too.

The room was small, but advertised as such so no surprises. It had a clean and comfortable feel to it, with a newly-fitted bathroom. The bathroom could have done with an extractor fan though as the only window was quite high to reach.

The staff were great - efficient, calm and friendly. Even the cleaners made a point of saying "Hello" when we passed them.

One of the best parts is the attached restaurant and brasserie, Monty's. This is also where breakfast is taken. The staff again are excellent, and the food is really good.

If we return to Cheltenham, I'll stay here.

Reviewed July 21, 2011

G - Grand Regency Building
E - Efficiency of Staff
O - Organised & Friendly
R - Relaxing Environment
G - Great Value
E - Excellent Breakfast

Reviewed July 11, 2011

I stayed in this hotel at the start of this month for a family wedding and I was actually rather disappointed that my stay was only one night as I thought the hotel was lovely and would have liked to have stayed longer! The immediate thing that stood out was the friendly and welcoming serivce; you'd think this minimum requirement is the easiest to satisfy but actually so many get it wrong! The staff here are so accommodating and friendly. I arrived in a rush from London (note, avoid Paddington when the Henley Regatta is on unless your tickets are being posted to you!) and had to dump my case whilst my cab waited outside, they were really fine about me dumping it, with barely enough time to even explain who I even was and then when I checked in properly after the wedding service it had been taken to my room for me.

The double, for my daughter and I, was admittedly a bit on the small side, but as expected as I had only paid for the standard double room and they did say when I booked it that it was smaller. And it was perfectly adequate for us, and even would have been with two adults. That said I thought it represented great value for £85 for the night. Given how central it was I (quite rightly I think) thought it was a steal.The advertised room rate is £120 but they offer the same discounts as any you see advertised online. The room was really nicely decorated, with a very luxe bathroom, and a really comfortable bed. We both slept very well. A review on here has said they found the hotel quite dated, I wouldn't agree with that although perhaps the room furniture was a little more tired than the rest of the decor (although the swirly hallway carpets should probably get a special mention), but it still gives an air of a good hotel nonetheless. And also, as I'll keep pointing out, the room cost £85!! Everything is relative, the room is not like you'll find at the Sanderson but nor does it cost £250. I was actually really pleasantly surprised as I tend to think most smaller independent hotels to be a bit Fawlty Towers like or dated/chintzy and so prefer a cosy b&b outside of London, but I was very glad I went for the hotel option.

Breakfast was really nice, and the waiters were really lovely. Again I kept my case with them after checking out to see a bit of the city which they were really fine about. And then they called a cab upon our return... I've no reason to go back to Cheltenham but I'd consider it just to stay here again! Excellent service, so welcoming, at such great value, with lovely room, food and decor to boot. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank DaniSaff
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Friendly staff. Excellent restaurant. Very well situated to explore the town, shopping and other restaurants. Rooms at back of hotel much quieter than those at the front.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple