“Very French and very good!”
Review of L'Artisan

L'Artisan
Ranked #4 of 448 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The genuine French Restaurant of Cheltenham
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Very French and very good!”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Our party of 6 enjoyed a most enjoyable evening with quite exceptional service and attention to detail combined with cuisine of the highest French standards.

“fantastic”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We went here for dinner following great reviews from trip advisor. We were not in anyway disappointed. From the minute we entered the restaurant to when we left the service was impecable. They are such lovely people and obviously take a lot of pride in their food and service. All the food was amazing, so tasty and well presented. We did not have to wait long for our food and initially they gave us some mini appertisers and home made bread which is a really nice touch. Iwould definitely go here again, and maybe for lunch as themenu for this looks greatas well. Lovely little place in town!!

Visited September 2013
Gloucestershire, UK
“Expected better after recommendation & reviews”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Good points: nice environment, excellent service, friendly people, genuinely French, price wise on a par with most Cheltenham restaurants, very nice bottle of wine.
Not so good: Starter - scallops nice but potato base was so salty I couldn't eat it. Main - red mullet & cod soufflé - less than a third of a mullet fillet in a cylinder of fish & souffle - mainly bones & scales as it was the tail of the fish which was used, & the souffle was overcooked & more like scrambled egg - very unpleasant. Pudding - coffee mousse - mousse was runny & the biscuity bits in it had a stale texture. My husbands meal was edible but nothing special.
I realise that the owner reading this would wonder why we didn't say anything - firstly we were in a party & it was difficult, secondly the remains on the plate made it obvious but no-one asked if we were not happy. I would usually have spoken up, but I hope you understand why we didn't. Ultimately, had the meal been better the situation wouldn't have arisen. Sorry, don't like giving bad reviews but for the cost - £95 couple - we probably won't be back.

2 Thank Ducatibabe
Pershore, United Kingdom
“A welcome addition to Cheltenham”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We noted previous reviews and went on speck on a Tuesday lunchtime.
The service was very good. The amuse bouche very good escpecially for me as it included a mussel and as my wife does not like mussels, I had to eat it!! My wife had 2 starters the first a goats cheese on mediterranean vegetables and the second a very good green vegetable rissotto. She enjoyed both dishes very much. I had whitebait which was good and the chicken cordon bleu. The only problem with my dish was the excessive amount of cheese on top somewhat obliterated the chicken and ham underneath. We will definitely go again but maybe not have the chicken cordon bleu!!

1 Thank bishtraveller
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Quite outstanding”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

This is the first time we had visited L'Artisan, a genuinely French restaurant and it will definitely be the first of many visits. The all French owners and staff were excellent, very friendly, helpful and informative. The food was quite simply magnificent and one of the best meals I have had for a long time. We started with an aperitif recommended by the owner followed by a complimentary and delicious amuse bouche and wonderful home made bread and butter. The starters, main course and dessert were all absolutely perfect, good sized portions and tasted superb. I honestly couldn't fault it and my fiancee was moved to describe it as orgasmic! The restaurant is quite small, seating about 30 people and it was probably there quarters full which was good for a midweek evening. This made for a good atmosphere with the light murmer of polite conversation from others quite clearly enjoying their evening as well. The cost for 3 courses and a bottle of wine was exactly £100 for the two of us which I think was more than acceptable bearing in mind the quality of the food and service. Cheltenham is blessed with many fine restaurants and this is certainly up there with the best.

Elyoppe, Owner at L'Artisan, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear customer,
We would like to tell you how we have appreciated your review.
All the team and I wanted to thank you.
Best regards,