“Scotch, Wine, Cigars, Food, and Great Company”
Review of John Gordons

John Gordons
Ranked #78 of 473 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Having discovered John Gordon’s, or as my work colleagues refereed to it as the “Scotch Bar,” on a previous business trip, it was a real pleasure to get to know the establishment a bit better. Over the course of 7 weeks, I must have visited 8 or 9 times. One thing that brought us back, was the helpful and pleasantness of the staff. There suggestions for Scotch selections was always spot on. Whether I was in a group, or by myself, everyone was most friendly. If you like Scotch (or wine), as for a recommendation. We found some lovely new favorites (young – Ardbeg and old – King George). There is a nice selection of wines for the non-Scotch drinkers. Not sure about beer, as we never asked. Also, we had the pleasure of Cuban cigars. Now generally, I’m a skeptic of both condition and authenticity of Cuban cigars. But I was not disappointed. The cigars were kept fresh in a good humidor and as far as my palate was concerned, they were genuine also. I did have dinner once there too, but I had to ask for the food menu. After you have your drinks, go downstairs. It was quite and comfortable. On several occasions, we struck up conversations with fellow scotch drinkers! OK, here is the down side, it’s a great place, but it is small, especially the bar. With only one (or two) bar tenders, and each giving great service to each patron, it can be a (well worth it) wait to get service.

Reviewed May 22, 2014

Almost cannot fault it! only the size of place is a problem but everything else - very good.
Service and knowledge is second to none! Great selections and choice.
Atmosphere really good and relaxing! Great spot!

Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

Visited late morning for coffee and a piece of cake. The service was affable although cake and coffee quality very average.
Returned with friends for a quick pre-dinner drink and staff attitudes (different team) had changed to indifference, lack of eye contact, and downright arrogance. Downstairs seating area cramped and smelt of drains.
Avoid.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

We decided to go here for an early supper based on its appearance and advert for its award winning pies. The pies were terrible and the staff were unhelpful- especially the bar man who came off as pretentious and unwelcoming. Would not visit again which is a shame as it actually had a pleasing and relaxed atmosphere.

4  Thank Kyf867
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Been here a few times in the summer. Once for a coffee, sat outside in the sun which was lovely. Also came here for a drink before going out to eat, they have a great selection, I had a lovely wine. Seems really busy here at night, I particularly like the candle lit section around the back of the bar at night, always a great vibe.