“Tasty food but tiny portions...”
Review of Purslane

Purslane
Ranked #14 of 484 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Critically-acclaimed, small, independent restaurant specialising in sustainable British seafood and local Cotswold produce.
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I wanted to mark this review as 3 & 1/2 but Trip Advisor wouldn't allow it so it is a 4 by default.

Quite simply the food we experienced was tasty but the portions were far too small for the price, both myself and my partner were left feeling hungry after 3 courses.

With the vast choice of restaurants that Cheltenham has to offer I think it is excessive to charge £16 for a vegetarian main course which basically consisted of a piece of Goats Cheese approximately the size of a mini roll and some vegetables.

I was rather disappointed with the tiny portion received for the price I paid - Just to add I am not Vegetarian I opted for this as I found the menu selection somewhat limited in choice.

The service was friendly if a little clumsy at times. It has potential and we may revisit in the future if the prices or portions sizes improve.

1  Thank rachl8413

Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is the fifth time I've been in Purslane, and it's been always fabulous. Love the food, love the bread, love the atmosphere ! I'm not really a fish lover, but the combination of taste and the way it's cooked makes it superb ! Service is exceptional, Smily people. Love it !

Highly recommended !

Reviewed March 14, 2013

How lucky am I to have been treated to a fantastic mothers day lunch at Purslane.On arrival the mums were treated to a glass of bubbly whilst we studied the delightful menu.It was really hard to choose as the choice for each course all sounded so mouthwatering.
Having decided there was no dissapointment the food was wonderful with different textures and tastes i have never heard of hedgehog mushrooms but will certainly have them again.I had duck for my main course it really did have the wow factor i just did'nt want my meal to finish!. For desert I had the goatsmilk cheesecake dressed with rubarb truly amazing.The service was prompt and very efficient and always with a smile.I will be returning to Purslane long before next mothers day!!

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Visited on Saturday night 9th, Found here through the other reviews on trip advisor! We were visiting Cheltenham to celebrate a friends birthday (6 Middle aged ladies!) We were not disapointed, Yes the menu is very fishy but this was fine, the way the food is presented, flavours textures etc the chef really does know his stuff and as there were 6 of us we did managed to order most things on the menu for most courses! We had a wonderful evening and were made to feel very welcome and looked after, the extra little touches for our friend were really appreciated.
The wine list is a little expensive but didn't put us off we all has 3 courses, wine and dessert wine! and the cost was £50 each which we all felt was very good for the type of fine dining. If I had one criticism it would be the restaurant could have just a little better lit as it was quite hard to see and appreciate the look of the food due to the low lighting!
We have all visited other Michelin starred restaurants and have to say we would not be surprised if this get one very soon!
A fantastic little find and would recommend if you wanted somewhere that was just that little but extra special.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We booked in for our second visit to the restaurant this weekend and had a delightful experience. Our first visit was when Purslane first opened it's doors and things have only got better! Stephanie the manager is professional yet friendly and had many laughs with us throughout the evening. She helped us with choosing the wine to accompany our meal and it was a brilliant choice!
To start we had the truffle and celeriac mousse and the cornish gunard with chorizo and bean stew. Both were delicate and tasty! We especially enjoyed the hedgehog mushrooms and also the flavour of the chorizo with the gunard.
The mains of lemon sole and scallops with hay-baked rabbit did not disappoint! The variety of carrots complimented the soles delicate flavour, especially the pickled ones. The scallops were cooked perfectly and all the flavours on the plate worked really well together.
To finish off the meal we had the sticky toffee pudding with delicious homemade icecream and caramelised banana and a trio of gingerbread, pear and walnut and granny smith icecreams. The pudding was really good with the banana and the homemade icecreams (especially the fruit ones) were refreshing and a great end to the meal!
We look forward to visiting again! 3 courses for £30 is a bargain!