“Disgusting customer service”

and 1 more site!
Central Hotel Cheltenham
Ranked #23 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed in the apartment which is very basic and generally not a pleasant place to stay. The sofa bed is adequate to class as a bed-just a leather sofa with a sheet on! However my main concern is how I was spoken to by the manager after I requested a late check in was absolutely disgraceful. She put the phone down on me and then after ringing her back she asked if I had any more stupid questions! It gets worse... After my mate spoke to her the manager told him to go [--] his father. Iam utterly disgusted and I would never recommend this hotel even for how cheap it was I've left with hassle of having to complain in writing and have never been spoken to like that. Awful place stay away

• Stayed: September 2013

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Have never been so discusted in my entire life. Rang up to try and confirm a later checkout and had the phone out down on me, the worst customer service I have ever received.. The manager actually cursed down the phone at me and insulted my family. I have never ever been so angry and discusted in my life. I will be taking actions much much further and I honestly would NOT recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Make sure you see the allocated room before you check in. My room was on the top floor and smaller than my bedroom at home - all linen and curtains were brown - not a good omen as it urges you to think it's easier to hide stains that way. Can't remember if the walls were brown too. One of the few UK hotel rooms which contained a fridge, but it was located (due to the small size of the room) right next to my pillow - and the fridge actually snored! On and off, on and off - not exaggerating, like a snoring partner! I ended up turning it off. After a few hours I had to go downstairs to say I just couldn't stay in that room and could I be moved to another tomorrow for the rest of my 4-5 night stay. Lucy was very helpful but said she'd have to check with the manager the next morning. I was moved to a downstairs "apartment" right on the street, which meant I had to keep the (brown) curtains closed 24 hours a day - but the fridge was quiet! This was a larger room with a huge bathroom - which (in that large space) only contained a toilet, basin and shower, and nothing else. No shelving for toiletries, no place to put towels or clothes except on the floor. Where are the priorities with this "hotel"? I couldn't find the bathroom light switch, till I found it was motion-activated, and scared me when I first went right in, especially as it was dark.
Do not ever consider staying here!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Booked the 8 bedroom apartment for celebration evening in Cheltenham , it is not an 8 bedroom apartment . Various issues:
Lack of glasses, cutlery and plates for 8 people
Sofa bed not suitable for sleeping on - broken
Tv did not work
Bedding inadequate
Generally a very basic accomodation , not as advertised.
However, the real insult is that after i raised theses issues, I waited 4 weeks for a response, despite calling the office every week. Calls not returned , emails not responded to. When I did eventually receive a response, there was no apology and no recompense - probably the worst customer service I have received in this country for a long time .

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Positive points - It is cheap and just a minute walk down to the shops. Location is good. It's perfect for backpackers or people who are on extremely low budget.

Negative points -
1. The rooms didn't look as good as what you see from the pictures. Definitely. The furniture looks as if they've been picked from the garbage dump, refurbished
2. The pillow is extremely flat and I got myself severe neck pain and migraine the next morning till night. The carpets are absolute disgusting where I definitely cannot remove my shoes otherwise my feet would turn black.
3. I booked one room through booking.com for 3 people and asked if they have 3 beds in a room. They never came back to me and when I arrived at the destination, it was a sofa bed. We were forced to get a new room instead.
4. The kebab shop across the street opens till morning - I couldn't sleep all night because drunkards are at the shop buying kebabs and making hell lot of noise.
5. Carpets are already dirty and I saw them placing new sheets on the floor of every room that they were going to clean. I saw it because I checked out late. How can they leave new sheets ON THE FLOOR?????? Absolutely hygiene issues!!!

Anyway... Just pay a bit more and go somewhere else.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Crystalism
Reviewed September 1, 2013

No feedback forms or guest book were available when we checked out this morning so they deserve any slating they get today!
A lack of double glazing meant i spent most of the night listening to the louts in the kebab shop across the road. The room was chokingly hot but an open window would hve meant even better clarity to the dross that was hanging round at stupid oclock. Fridge in room was noisey and the ensuite was probably once a wardrobe. It was that small. As for the sofa bed, well ive slept on more comfortable camp beds. If u dont know the area, choose Premier inn. Its 100% better and only 5 minutes from city centre. This is more Hostel than hotel! One good point: clean ensuite with decent shower.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2013

If you are considering staying here DONT DO IT.
I stayed at 2 Gloucester Place.
From start to finish, this was the most appalling place I have ever stayed. I arrived, after a 7 hour drive to the location in email, to find no one/no sign/no sign of people. I phoned number to be told I should have received an email telling me I had to go to 'Central Hotel' in Cheltenham (10 minute drive from where I was) to collect keys - I did not get any such email. I was also told at that point on the phone that there was an issue with my booking which they would sort out with me when I got to the hotel.
When I arrived at hotel, I was greeted by a very unprofessional woman, chewing gum with her mouth open constantly, taking phone calls from several men, one including her boyfriend, the other her boss (as she told me).
The issue with my booking was the original place I was meant to stay, which is where I turned up first had been flooded by the previous visitor, so was unusable. That meant they were putting me somewhere else, another room. I was given a key, and a postcode, and off I went.
On arrival, the outside looked 'OK' despite the road looking a bit rough. Parking was non existent, but managed to put car on kerb/empty disused land opposite.
Initial impressions were poor, dim hallway/stairs, stale smoke smells and flies all over. However initially the room looked ok. Basic (which I expected as this was a budget room) but OK.
I went to my evening event, and returned at one AM.
To discover none of the lights in the hallways/stairs (I was 2 flights up) worked. The lights in the shared bathroom also didn't work.
The bed was broken, so I put mattress on floor. The mattress was the thinnest I have ever seen and every spring was broken so stuck into me every single which way I tried to lay. I had to turn the fridge off because it sounded like it was going to explode.
The room was very hot but unable to open the window as it had been painted shut. I ended up sitting on the stairs, outside the room, in the dark, in the middle of the night, taking some medication for Asthma as was too hot and struggling to breathe. There I saw the mouse.
By 0430 AM I was so tired, stressed, uncomfortable, scared that I rang round every hotel in Cheltenham trying to find somewhere else to stay. To no avail for that night. So I stayed awake all night. When the morning light arrived, it showed how disgusting the shower/bathroom was. Unclean with fag ends littered around the shower on the floor. You could draw lines through the dirt in shower tray.
On walking back up the stairs after using the bathroom, in the kitchenette between my room and the other room was a gentleman urinating in the kitchen sink.
I packed my stuff and left ASAP.
I found friends staying in another hotel, and managed to book in there.
On complaining to staff at Central Hotels, when I went to take the keys back and asking for a refund especially as I was not going to be staying the next 3 nights as paid for I was met with rudeness and belligerence. They did not believe I saw a mouse, because I did not have a photo of it! I was also told 'it is a budget room'. I have stayed in many budget places, none like this. I was given a card with an email to complain to, although told it was only end up in his (the rude man's) inbox and he would forward on to person concerned.
IF YOUR CONSIDERING STAYING HERE DONT DO IT.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo