“Ok for a lads crash pad, not ok for a family.”

and 1 more site!
Central Hotel Cheltenham
Ranked #22 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
“Ok for a lads crash pad, not ok for a family.”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed at the apartment on Albion St. Basement, badly lit steps, front door very flimsy and doesn't feel very secure. Single room has a flimsy back door leading out into the back alley, no way my small son is sleeping in there! It's like a dungeon, bare, just a single bed and overhead light.
Better lighting needed - harsh overhead bulbs everywhere. Kitchen badly equipped, not enough utensils to use it properly. No tea towels.
Photos on web site very misleading, and it says there is parking. Err...you can park behind the main hotel 200 yards away and heft your bags up the street, or there's a small square of gravel outside Albion St which might be free but you hang out over the pavement so will probably get a ticket.
Main bedroom ceiling is damp.
Avoid.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank NorthWesternFamily

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Stayed here as the location was good for touring the Cotswold. Reception gave us a key for an apartment a few streets away. Apartment was nice and big, beds were comfortable, and the toilet was big compared to other hotels we stayed in... Everything was adequate! Only gripe was that the lights in the living room spoiled, and it took quite a long time for the technician to arrive despite repeated calls. Other than that, our stay was enjoyable, and it was very good value for £83 per night for 5 people!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Llandrindod Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I did enjoy my stay the Central it was very nice, the metal beds were very comfortable. The comfortable room had a large TV, a microwave and a kettle and fridge.
I thought this was highly equipped. I was highly impressed with the price. I would recommend this to anybody.

Room Tip: All rooms are similar I believe.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Visited Cheltenham for the Paddy Power meeting in the middle of November. We were on a budget but the prices were bumped up for the racing we paid £124.67 per night for a twin bedded room approx 9ft x 12ft, it was clean with a sink, microwave, tea/coffee making facilities, nice tv on wall plus hanging space. My biggest gripe was the quality of the mattress and pillows they were uncomfortable and cheap, luckily i was worse for wear on the friday & saturday nights !!! but on thursday night it was not pleasant sleeping on a mattress where u felt u were sleeping on a bed springs with a couple of wafer thin pillows. My second complaint is that we asked to check in earlier than 2pm as we had an early flight but we were told no 2pm, and that we would get a text, on 2 emails I had given them my mobile numbers, I did not have the number on me (my fault) but I eventually called The Central as we had not heard a thing at 5PM THREE HOURS OVERDUE. When I called they said they did not have my number but I have the email to prove they did. The entrance and keysafe situation is not ideal if you have had a few pints ! as you have a 6digit number to enter. A positive would have to be the shower/toilet facilities (both of them) they were up to a high standard and impressive, improve the bedding as thats letting you down.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Greg C
kerry ireland
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This building should not have a star except maybe one for for the friendly staff.
To start with my booking was for twin for two nights and when booked with Hotels.com the credit card wass accepted and booking ref issued.That evening I was mailed to state that there was a problem with the credit card and booking was cancelled.I rang hotel to be informed that there was a card problem but I could rebook and all that was available was a double bed for an extra £40.I was already paying £300 for the two nights.I had no choice as time was against us so room was booked.There was no problem with the card on this booking.
What a disaster this place turned out to be,a dirty stairway leading to tiny room.The room was dark and dreary with little space for one not to mention two.The double bed was an insult ,it was six inches off the ground,it was an embarrasment for two adults to say the leastThere was no over sheet just a cover
A,a fridge that kept buzzing into your ear all night because it was next to the bed.
We arrived back to our room on the second night to find a client asleep at the bottom of the stairs with plenty of liquid stains surrounding him and we had difficulty negiotating our steps without walking all over him.He was still there next morning when we were leaving.
We tried to contact the desk but of coarse no service on a Sunday and therefore take it or leaveI.I was most embarrased for my guest over this experience and being well travelled I have to say this was the worst and we could not wait to leave.

Room Tip: Do not view photos of a hotel as a guide
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank digiexcess

Travelers are raving about these Cheltenham hotels

Hampshire
Reviewed November 8, 2012

The location is fab. There is an M&S food two mins walk away and a pub right by the hotel.

The hotel is very cheap, so I guess you can't expect the Ritz.

I was in room 12 which is on the ground floor. The first thing that hit me was the damp, musty smell.

It was very noisy when anyone else came into the hotel as the room is very close to the entrance. I found the bed uncomfortable and it's very low to the floor which made it feel a bit like being in a camp bed.

The bedroom area is tiny and there isn't even a bedside cabinet as the bed basically fills the width of the room. The bedding was very washed out and worn looking.

The kitchen however was large with good appliances. One of the plates was dirty but everything else was fine.

Like others I had some fun trying to find the car park. In the end I gave up and put the car in the pay and display down the road.

The hotel doesn't serve breakfast. It's more like serviced apartments than a hotel really. The reception even closes really early. It was already closed when I went out at 8pm.

I spoke to two of the staff when I first arrived and they were both helpful and friendly.

All in all this isn't a hotel I would choose to stay in but if you are on a tight budget and need a centrally located hotel it does the job.

Room Tip: Upstairs is probably better than ground floor due to noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank lyndylou1974
Sheffield
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I needed a b&b in Cheltenham recently, and because the place we normally stay at was not available we rang the Central Hotel. They offered us one of their studio appartment rooms at 298a Gloucester Road, room only no breakfast, and we were told we would need to bring our own breakfast. No mention was made of how we get in, so when I phoned later to ask they said they would text the outside and inside door lock codes to my mobile at 2pm on the day of our stay. When I pointed out they did not have my mobile number they made a note of it. At 2.20pm we still had no text message on my mobile, so I phoned the hotel and the required codes arrived at 2.21pm. Arriving at 298 Gloucester Road we tried the code in the front door three times with no success. The houses either side were not numbered 298a, so we went down a side path, found a yard at the back and at the far side of the yard was another building, which on approach appeared to be 298b. Fortunately there was a van driver on site who told us that 298a was up the fire escape. We climbed up, tried the code in that front door, and this time it worked. We went in, found our room, tried the second texted number in the room door security lock, and after several attempts the entire key block fell onto the floor - fortunately with a key hidden inside the mechanism.
Inside the room we found a kettle and microwave, so we were able to prepare drinks from what we had brouhgt with us. The only lighting in the room was a single 40w bulb hanging from the ceiling, so reading a book was difficult. The mattresses on the two beds had a thin piece of material covering the springs, which were highly visible pressing through the material, and we spent one of the most uncomfortable nights of all time on those mattresses.
We were not sorry to leave that place, and felt that £55 was overpriced for what they offered.

Room Tip: Don't stay at the 298 Gloucester Road studio appartment rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family