“A gem of a restaurant”

The Suffolk Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
The Suffolk Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #141 of 477 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Paid our first visit to The Suffolk Kitchen on Saturday 10th August and it will be the first of many. The atmosphere was relaxed and chilled. The food was fresh and cooked to perfection. It was also beautifully presented with attention to detail. The staff were attentive and friendly. Of all the restaurants in Cheltenham, this is a real hidden gem. What a perfect way to spend a long Saturday lunch.

2  Thank Angela D

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We had eaten there a couple of years ago when it was a middle eastern restaurant called Brosh...where both the food and the service had been excellent.

Last night we decided on an impromptu early dinner and arrived without a reservation at the Suffolk Kitchen shortly before 7pm. The receptionist checked the reservations book and then asked the maitre d'h whether a table was available. He gruffly told her to divide a table for four at the top of the stairs into two. We were then shown to this table without a word and handed the menus without being asked if we'd like a drink.

When I enquired to see the set menu displayed in the window, I was told that this was only available before 7pm. By my watch it was still before 7pm...but that's life! A large fan was placed on the floor directly behind me to provide basic air circulation into the rear of the restaurant. The background music was loud and, combined with the noise of the fan, made conversation difficult.

Within a few minutes of entering the restaurant we had several poor experiences and decided to leave before enduring any more. I cannot comment on their cooking because we left before ordering. There are several other restaurants nearby and we enjoyed a good meal with excellent service elsewhere.

2  Thank Oscar R
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

We popped in on a very hot Friday evening and the restaurant was struggling with the heat however this didnt take anything away from the experience. Simon the owner is very knowledgable on his food and we had a nice evening with a good quality meal, definitely worth a visit.

2  Thank PauloB66
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Tuesday Night booked for our wedding anniversary. The set out of the restaurant is poor, so narrow & if you are two you are stuck on the wall in the corridor to the kitchen .. not very romantic !! You will be served by students who do not bring the wine list till asked for etc etc .The maître di or owner does not bother to even pass the time of day with you .. sad really as this makes a big difference . The food ... limited menu ... but specials on the board, but two not available at 7 o,clock !! Had the Mussels & steak both OK but not difficult to serve. Half way through our meal a party of 14 rocked up & sat opposite us ... suffice to say with the noise generated we called for the bill & left before desserts,coffee .I did force the man in charge to speak when asking him whether they used Pear Cider or apple cider with the Mussels. He responded !! Would not return for a Romantic Dinner !

1  Thank firefly30
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

I booked to take my grandparents for Sunday lunch; with the mixed reviews on the food and service I was really hoping the problems of previous reviews had been addressed and rectified. Unfortunately the service was poor, we were not given a wine menu, had to ask what the soup and the catch of the day were and for our order to be taken (I had to ask 3 times for a jug of water). Food was ok; chicken liver pâté apparently tasted good but looked less then fresh to me, salmon was nice and was cooked well, the stuffing was tasty but the roast potatoes were hard, the cauliflower cheese flavourless and mushy, the carrots and parsnips were not hot enough and pretty oily. Dessert was nice, only sorbet and icecream but good portion size and variety the other diners desserts also looked extremely good. All in all I would be interested to try the evening menu as I think there is potential for a good meal, the bad service really does ruin the experience though when the waitresses disappear and you have to shout across the restaurant for them to bring you the bill then wait for them to finish on their phones before they take payment!

1  Thank RuthusT