“Must have picked a bad night”

The Suffolk Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
The Suffolk Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #114 of 446 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Cheltenham
“Must have picked a bad night”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Had seen a good review in the local paper and decided to visit - only one table left that was by the front door and we spent most of the evening getting up and closing the door after other customers arrived, the staff didn't seem to notice the doors was being left open. We eat from the early evening set meal menu and the main menu, the food was only okay and the portions small. Staff were friendly enough but only asked how things were whilst processing our credit card payment at the end of the meal. There a lot of lovely places to eat in Cheltenham, so will not be coming to the Suffolk Kitchen again

• Visited February 2013
4 Thank MaryHCheltenham

Broadway, United Kingdom
“Small portions!!!!”
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Great location, beautiful decor, friendly and professional staff however thought the 'early bird' specials menu was quite limited with small portions. My catch of the day over seafood broth came with two tiny pieces of bread (had been hoping for chunky rustic pieces of bread). Maybe i should have ordered something else and i was just unlucky, but with such a limited menu wasnt tempted by anything else. All of us driving so no wine ordered but thought soft drinks (one small soda water and lime £1.85) a bit pricey!!!!

3 Thank PerkyandPikey
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
“Excellent experience”
Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

I spend my entire professional life in restaurants and there are few who impress me. I must admit to reading some of the reviews before writing this one and was surprised by the variability. I can however say I had an excellent meal . . . Something that in 20 years I'm sorry to say happens rarely.
The menu is one page and sufficiently varied to suit most tastes, good mix of meat, fish and vegetarian.
The wine list is varied not over the top on price and has some gems.
The restaurant is modest and informal and the prices are middling . . . That is, we had a full 4 courses and didn't skimp on the drinks and paid £45 each.

All these comments miss the most important recommendation for me personally. That is the quality, flavour and composition of our meal.

I had a pork starter and a fish/shell fish main. Both cooked with great skill (neither being simple and both easy to get horribly wrong). . . Both only capable of excellence in the hand of a very skilful chef.

My partner had a similarly delicate dish and difficult to get top marks dish. All surpassed our expectations. The taste, presentation, quality and freshness of ingredients and complimentary composition is for me a rarity.

Maybe we hit them on a good day . . . My nose tells me otherwise. I complimented the owner and was told they are relatively young on the circuit (then great because they can only get better) I also bought the Chef a drink, something I've done only 5 times in 20 years!

My steer is to give them a go and make up your own mind . . . I rarely put my name to restaurant recommendations but this one Im very happy to do so.

Well done Suffolk Kitchen you have restored my confidence in the art of the English restaurant. I thoroughly recommend your excellent locally sourced high quality menu and wonderfully compiled dishes. May you continue to go from strength to strength!

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Very Pleasant”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Enjoyed a very pleasant meal here recently. Great menu all locally sourced, good wine menu with some local wines and lovely dining room. The staff were very friendly and attentive, but perhaps could've been a little bit more knowledgeable about the menu.
All in all, very good and I will be looking forward to going back again soon.

• Visited February 2013
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Not great for large parties”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I organised a large party for my partner here with approx. 16 people as I believed it was possibly still being run by the previous owners of a place called Brosch. The restaurant kindly agreed to decorate the table for me which was appreciated. However the service was slow, food was average and the cost was far too high. At the end of the night the bill was brought over as one massive amount despite it being obvious we were a large party of separate couples and singles. When we asked if they could split the bill or provide a menu so we were able to do it our selves they disappeared for 30 minutes. Only due to the owner being kind enough to do the decorating and provide some candles (as the ones I'd got would have set off the fire alarms) did I rate this as average. Not a great experience and still a source of embarrassment with friends.
If attending with a large party I'd suggest somewhere more set up to deal with such occasions.

• Visited May 2012