“Worth a Visit”
Review of Prithvi

Prithvi
Reserve with OpenTable
Prithvi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 460 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A statement of serenity and calm. A refined and sophisticated approach to dining Indian in an intimate and relaxed surrounding.Prithvi, "Earth or Mother Earth, in the ancient Sanskrit", where mouthwatering food and an attention to detail is second to none.
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Booked this after reading reviews on TA and was glad I did as it was full on a Thursday evening. Food is superb, service excellent and is different enough to be most enjoyable.

The staff are very good at explaining the menu which is very different to that found in the West of Scotland and I could probably best describe my experience as fine dining Indian style.

If you like a cracking curry this place is a must if you are in the area and the price isn't too bad either.

There are newer reviews for Prithvi

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We went here on a Friday night with friends to let them experience the excellent food and service at Prithvi and were not disappointed. The service was, as always, attentive but not overbearing. The two main front-of-house staff, a male and female, were polite, even charming, which makes a nice change from many other restaurants.

As for the food, simply brilliant. My wife had the scallop starter, her friend the chicken while her husband and I shared the taster plate, all of which was superbly explained, presented and spiced and tasted superb. For the main courses my wife had the monkfish, her friend and her husband had lamb and I had the beef. Again, the spicing and presentation were excellent leading to a superb flavour experience.

The restaurant is reasonably priced considering the quality of food and drink available. All four of us thoroughly enjoyed the evening and are certain to return for more quite soon.

If you like Indian food but want to experience something better than the madras, korma, etc, you should give this a try as you are unlikely to be disappointed. Indeed, the usual Indian cuisine will never taste the same again.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

I ate here with my husband one evening as we had previously enjoyed lunch here a while ago. I think Prithvi thoroughly deserves its number 1 spot on trip advisor. We had the tour of Prithvi tasting menu which was simply delicious. Refined presentation and excellent quality. The food is surprisingly good value. The only negative comment I have about the food is that the doughnuts were a little solid. Service is excellent. Along with Koloshi this is my favourite Indian restaurant in Cheltenham. Unfortunately Koloshi does not benefit from a central Cheltenham location.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

if you want a Sunday lunch with a difference go to the Prithvi .Five of us went last Sunday and we all had the "Tour".Not only fantastic food but pure theatre in its serving. As for that food just when you think you have had the best course ever the next one comes along. Lovely lamb, marvellous monkfish and great gulab to die for...and that is only half the tour.
It was an afternoon of excellent food, great conversation and unhurried service...perfect.
To Jay and his professional team, we will be back
Thank you.

1  Thank Roy E
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Having read the reviews here we were expecting a fine meal and we were not disappointed. Highlights of the Tour tasting menu for us were the lamb, tender and spicy with an outstanding coriander chutney, and the monkfish, melt in the mouth and with a delicate sauce. The whole thing was a rainbow of flavours, quite exceptional.

If I had to find some small fault, the duck (while very tender) looked grey against a grey (though delicious) sauce and could have been instantly improved with a better portion of the miniscule glazed carrots. The dessert was too small and although the gulab were delicious, there was not enough of the toothsome pistachio kulfi for my sweet tooth. Otherwise, I thought the portions the perfect size for this kind of menu, and you did get an amuse bouche to start and truffles to finish.

We drank draft Cobra. The service was attentive, friendly and perfectly timed over the five courses. Very much recommended.