“Perfect spot for al fresco breakfast or lunch but pricey for a light lunch”
Review of Gusto

Gusto
Ranked #188 of 473 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This is a wonderful "watch the world go by spot" sitting outside in Summer or on a sunny day at any other time of the year - cosy blankets provided. Inside however it is cramped and draughty on a cold day with constantly opening doors at the front and back of the small eating area.
It is pricey but for the location if eating outside worth it. I however lunched there with a friend on a gloomy winter's day. We ate inside. It was quiet,cold, the service was slow and a touch surly and jolly expensive at a few pence short of £40 for a light lunch of sandwiches, soup, one piece of cake, one glass of wine and 3 coffees - our 2 unremarkeable vegetable soups came in at £13.90! When the bill came I was embarrassed as I had recommended Gusto to my friend.I am not sure we would have paid any more for a set lunch at the nearby Petit Blanc.I will go back but may order rather more carefully. I like it here but I know my friend won't be returning as she was horrified at the cost.
It is a tricky one as on nice days the outside tables are always full and people linger hence no doubt the mark up on the food prices so I have some sympathy with the restaurant who won't want people hogging tables with a bowl of cheap soup for hours but such inflated prices are not worth it if inside on a cold quiet January day.

GustoCheltenham, Owner at Gusto, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Im glad that you enjoy Gusto so much and think its a great spot for breakfast and people watching.
The seating area at Gusto isnt large as you have commented on and when you arrived on a cold January day you did get the last table which was beside the door. This was the last table due to it being full if you remember so wasnt quiet as you mention. We did have the heating on but it was a particulary cold January Day.
I do feel you comments on the price of lunch are a little unfair. All dishes are priced on the menu. You each had soup followed by sandwich, followed by cake with wine and coffees all for as you say under £20 per head. In fact you actually complained about having bread served with your soup as you didnt want it (although it is served with it I took £1 off per person)
You can get set menus very cheaply in some other places but they do of course benefit fom the buying power that large businesses and chains have. As a small independant business we dont have this buying power but we wont compromise on quality of ingredients to cut costs.
I do find it hard to understand that your friend is horrified at the costs but still managed to order two courses and two drinks? Anyhow you cant please them all.I do hope she has found somewhere more in her budget for the future.
Regards
Gavin Rachel and all at Gusto

Reviewed September 30, 2012

First visit to Cheltenham, so we needed to pick somewhere for lunch based on kerb appeal and customers, using the rationale that if it was empty on Saturday lunchtime, then it might be worth avoiding. Most tables at Gusto's, both inside and out were occupied, so that was a good sign. It was also obvious that Gusto's was not the type of place to serve a sandwich consisting of two rounds of white bread cut into triangles.

The menu wasn't extensive, and was pricey, but it did contain several interesting options. Service was friendly but a bit slow, with it taking a while before anyone took our order, but we weren't in a hurry, preferring to enjoy a leisurely lunch. I suppose Saturday lunchtime is a busy period, so perhaps they can be forgiven. It was also a little cramped, but again I assume it was because of the busy period. These were all just minor points and there were some plus points, like the thoughtful blankets for people to use if sat outside.

My wife and I both ordered salads with a tea and a coffee. My tea was fine, but perhaps I had made a mistake because my wife thought the coffee was excellent. I'll know for next time. As for the salads, they were simply superb! Fresh and crisp, plentiful and with an excellent dressing.
Looking at some of the other options being served to other customers, they too looked very good.

I would recommend Gusto's to anyone in Cheltenham looking for an interesting and leisurely lunch.

1  Thank Dave S

Thank you Dave for your review of Gusto.
We are glad that you enjoyed your visit and your lunch.
It does get busy at lunch time, particulary on a Saturday bur we are glad you found the wait worthwhile. Space in the shop is always an issue, We prefer to call it cozy! We know sometimes its tight and would love a larger shop to meet the customer demand.
Your wife may be right on the coffee we do get told its the best in town.
We look forward to seeing you again at Gust
regards
Gavin, Rachel and all the Team

Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

Gusto had lost its way but breakfast today suggests a great comeback - service was much improved, due no doubt in part to the decision to move tables downstairs where staff can see them.

The full breakfast was great - pancetta was perfectly crispy and the eggs had lovely soft, orange yolks.

We had stayed away but will definitely be back.

Thank you for your review of Gusto.
We are glad you enjoyed your breakfast and look forward to seeing you agin soon.
We think the tables are better downstairs too! (if a little cozy at times)
Gavin, Rachel and all at Gutso

Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Gusto in Cheltenham is one of the few alternatives to the mundane machines that are Starbucks and costas etc! The pavement seating and buzzing staff really set this caffe out from the rest.

Thank you for your review of Gusto.
Its nice to see poepl appreciating what we do
Hope to see you soon
Gavin, Rachel and all at Gusto

Reviewed September 17, 2012

A favourite place for lunch or brunch. The food is fresh and full of interesting flavours; best Aubergine Parmagiana this side of Naples and the salads are very Ottolenghi like. The coffee is hot and strong but my daughter loves their thick hot chocolate made with real chocolate not to mention the walnut tart... There is always something delightful to eat or drink and the atmosphere is very mediteranean. We love it.

Thank you for your kind review of Gusto.
Its great to hear such a glowing review and to see that someone has such a passion for food.
Look forward to seeing you agin soon
Regards