“Where Punjabis go for Punjabi Food”
Review of 81 The Prom - CLOSED

81 The Prom
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
London
“Where Punjabis go for Punjabi Food”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I really enjoy eating at 81 The Prom because the food is authentically Punjabi, much like I would make at home. So it may be different to most people's experience of traditional British curry house fare. But for those of us who want a taste of the real Punjab, this is the place to come.

1 Thank rxg

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Terrible food, good cocktails”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

A group of us, all who love Indian food, all were disappointed in this establishment. the food arrived cold, and we waited over an hour for starters to come and two before main meals arrived. I was served paneer, but had ordered chicken, and all the food tasted as if a jar of coking sauce had been used and (bizarrely) a load of chilli dipping sauce had been added. After 2 hours wait, cold, bland food did not thrill us and much was left unbeaten. I guess there was only one person in the kitchen (and maybe one microwave?). I would definitely not return. The cocktail bar, however is good, with interesting choices and the staff knew how to mix.

5 Thank Salcheltenham
Cheltenham
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Having eaten at a number of Indians in Cheltenham .. the four of us were keen sample this highly reviewed restaurant.

Unfortunately its rather difficult to draw any positives ... cocktails were unexciting, place was littered with boxes and rubbish, no heating, chicken pieces were pretty awful and three of the four of us didn't enjoy our meals.

Staff were polite, but rightly or wrongly you just had the feeling that the food was merely being microwaved out of sight.

Although we were on a Groupon deal which gave us starter and mains the total cost certainly wasn't value for money ... there are much better Indians in the town.

3 Thank Eevo
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Long overdue review! Amazing restaurant!”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I first visited this restaurant a few months after having returned from a trip to India, since returning I had been searching everywhere for 'proper' Indian food and I finally found it! The Panir is particularly excellent (made on the premises).

The cocktails are delicious (no need for a menu, just name your poison and their son will whip up something amazing).

The couple who run the restaurant are lovely, very helpful and keen to give suggestions when ordering which I really appreciate. Nothing is too much trouble, they were happy to make me some fresh spiced chai and I was even given a complimentary pudding on one visit!

I could go on for far too long, but to sum this wonderful restaurant up; it has a fabulous atmosphere, delicious authentic food, a fun bar and you can guarantee that each person will be given a truly personal experience. Love love love!!!

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank Amy B
“Great Punjabi Food”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I hadn't realised that this was a restaurant until invited by a group of friends. We were a party of 10 and met in the cocktail bar downstairs. The man who runs the bar (Son of the owners?) really knows his stuff when it came to mixing cocktails, don't just order something standard, ask him to make you something a bit special, all at reasonable prices. When we moved upstairs to the restaurant, nothing was too much trouble and the service was fantastic. The food is delicious with some very nice touches all at a reasonable cost.

• Visited November 2012