“A nice experience”
Review of Jamie's Italian - CLOSED

Jamie's Italian
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: JAMIE’S ITALIAN Jamie’s Italian is a contemporary and informal restaurant with a menu that reflects Jamie Oliver’s passion for authentic Italian cooking, delivered with his own unique twist on classic recipes. Beautiful rustic dishes are created using carefully sourced, higher-welfare ingredients for the best flavour, but still at great value. This is a relaxed, affordable and accessible environment where the style, atmosphere and menu can be easily adapted to suit any occasion. KNOWN FOR Child friendly; great value, quick lunch; special occasions; group bookings, party planning.
Reviewed February 18, 2013

It was my wife's significant birthday so we decided on something different for a family meal. My daughter and husband had already been a couple of ties and recommended it. I booked on line and mentioned it was a birthday occasion. The old courthouse was an interesting venue and we were very warmly welcomed and wished a happy birthday a nice touch. We were shown quickly and courteously to our table and I have to say the service and speed of service was excellent. The atmosphere was quite boisterous with lots of large groups of people all loudly enjoying themselves but it wasn't unruly but quite difficult to have a normal conversation but it was a Saturday night. It was also a bit dark and difficult to read the menu. Food was average and more Italian style than Italian in my opinion but for a celebrity chief restaurant was ok value for money and a good night out experience.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

The old courthouse venue is fantastic! Even a visit to the toilets is an experience. The staff just couldn't have been friendlier and more knowledgeable about the menu. I struggle really badly with lactose and they accommodated me with every dish I chose. The food was good with an excellent choice on the menu. Yes I've had better elsewhere, but not in a venue like this and the prices are very reasonable considering what you get. The wine is also good which makes a change for British restaurants! Recommended.

2  Thank TinksUK1
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I recently visited Jamie's Italian Cheltenham with my partner for the first time, I have been to a couple of the other Jamie's Italian restaurants (Birmingham and London) and have never been let down. The Cheltenham restaurant just seemed a step above what we've experienced elsewhere. The manager sat us in the cooky court side surroundings, took our coats, personally delivered us a mouth-watering rendition of the specials and spent the time to chat with us despite running a busy restaurant. His passion was evident, and so refreshing to see in an industry that often seems to be slightly impersonal.
And the service remained at this high level as the waitress serving us was just as friendly; she brightened up the evening, making us laugh and catering to our every need. We ordered a big selection from the antipasti plank section (from her recommendation) and some pastas to accompany them, the food was as good as always.
Myself and my partner were surprised to see that Jamie's Italian doesn't have better reviews, some commenting on lighting and price. We found no cause for complaints in either of these areas. In our experience this particular restaurant is not only delivering in the food department, but the staff really make it a special occasion.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

First off, it's worth a visit just to see the inside of the building, a beautifully renovated courthouse..

Secondly, despite most of the menu being meat, my partner and I (both vegetarian) managed to have quite the feast sharing starters, sides and 'boards'. We ordered about 6 of them and were not disappointed by any.. You really must try to the olives (mainly for the tapanade) and the music bread!

The service was good, but unfortunately, it appears to be company policy to be as enthusiastic and animated about Jamie's recipes as he is. Don't get me wrong, our waitress was enthusiastic, but I'm not sure that it's needed when the food is such high quality regardless.

Last but not least, we ordered a litre carafe of the house white, nothing special, but it went down a treat. All in all a lovely visit.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Went to Jamie's Italian in Cheltenham last night and wont ever be going back again.

We got off to a bad start and it took the staff 8 minutes to answer the phone. We had called several times, had not got an answer, and ended up calling JI in Birmingham to make sure the branch was actually open. When someone EVENTUALLY answered the phone there was no apology for the late reply and we suggested they take our name for the booking. Complete novices.

Food is over-priced and the portion sizes are mean. The bread was so stale. I ordered a mixed seafood pasta cooked in a bag. On the menu it said there would be clams and mussels but these were missing. One prawn and one scallop was so stingey. Pasta was completely overcooked. Italians would have a fit!

Wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.