1,562 results
All reviews outdoor pool beaufort dining room boot room afternoon tea the fine dining restaurant horse box main building beautiful hotel cheltenham race course luxury room classic room scones steam room and sauna five star hotel four poster bed attention to detail special occasion
Reviewed November 9, 2017

We spent the weekend at Ellenborough for a family celebration and had a fantastic stay; both my daughter and I loved it. Our room was great with comfortable beds and plenty of space; my daughter loved the bathroom and its hot floor along with the selection of lotions and potions.

The service we received in the bar and restaurants over the weekend was great, even when we kept the bar open to early the next morning. Breakfast was hearty and the English breakfast set me up well for our 2 days of activities; the staff warned it may take time to come as they were very busy but then proceeded to deliver it within 5 to 10 minutes.

We took advantage of the outdoor swimming pool a number of times but I would recommend getting in when they first take the covers off as it was lovely and warm then - later on the water had cooled down a bit. We also wandered around the hotel with my daughter having a go on the large swing and having a crack at croquet on the lawn as well.

It is a great place to have a relaxing weekend enjoying the local area and the food and drink on offer in the hotel. We will be going back as we thoroughly loved our stay!

• Stayed: October 2017, traveled with family
ellenboroughpark2017, Marketing Executive at Ellenborough Park, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2017

Hi Spencer,

Thank you so much for your lovely review, it sounds like you and your daughter had a lovely time and enjoyed all that we have to offer here at Ellenborough Park. We'd love to welcome you back soon, do let us know if/when you plan to return!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed November 5, 2017

We booked to stay at the Ellenborough Park for a visit to the Cheltenham Literature Festival and had to take the one remaining room as the hotel was full. This was designated a disabled room and was near the outdoor swimming pool. Why this was set aside for the handicapped is a puzzle as we had to negotiate 7 sets of steps to get there and it was on the first floor. Having stayed at the Ellenborough before I felt this was inferior. There were 2 people but only one easy chair. In the bathroom, the shower which was set out as a wet room, flooded the rest of the floor. There were 2 weddings on the weekend we were there and we felt these had priority.
The low point of the visit was dinner on the second night. At 7. 20 pm I ordered halibut; 40 minutes later the waiter informed us that the last piece of halibut had been used and offered salmon instead which I did not want. The price was adjusted but how a highly reputable hotel could wait 40 to make this discovery is beyond me. Breakfasts were ok though we enjoyed Cheltenham the hotel was a disappointment this time.

Room Tip: Ask some questions first
Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ann B
ellenboroughpark2017, Manager at Ellenborough Park, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2017

Dear Ann,

I'm really sorry that your stay with us, didn't live up to expectations. I shall look in to how you ended up in one of our rooms as you have described, as can understand your frustration with this.

With regards to your dinner, I agree not good enough.

Should you wish to return to the hotel, I shall arrange a complimentary upgrade for you as a gesture from me. I assure you that your experience is not a common one.

Kind Regards
Ellenborough Park Hotel & Spa

Reviewed October 31, 2017

We stayed at the Ellenborough 28th & 29th October and were generally disappointed as we've stayed there previously and it was brilliant. I booked this 2 night stay months ago direct on the hotel's website where it was advertised as 10% discount for booking early but there was no discount shown at checkout. I questioned this on Saturday when we booked in and was given a totally unacceptable response from the young lady on reception. She firstly claimed the 10% discount wasn't available on race days but when I highlighted that no exclusions were mentioned on their website she then said the prices shown on the website already had 10% reduction - not a very good excuse seeing as if I'd left it till a week prior to our stay I could have booked it at a cheaper price! Our room was lovely albeit a little worn but the bathroom was cold. I asked at reception how to turn the heating on and was told the underfloor heating would need to be turned on by maintenance and they would ensure this was done but unfortunately this never happened. I don't know if they tried or not as no one spoke to me about the heating. The worse thing about the stay was definitely the food in the horsebox. I had fish and chips and was very disappointed to receive processed fish and chips from the freezer - surely for £14 you'd expect homemade chips and freshly homemade battered fish. My husband had suet pie and found 4 large pieces of bone. When the waiter collected our plates my husband showed him the bone but the waiter just made a rather rude comment about how he'd eaten it all so couldn't send it back and never even attempted an apology. The following night we ate in a nearby pub and had a lovely meal for less money. Most of the staff were great and very friendly but standards most definitely lower in the horsebox.

• Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Angela K

Dear Angela K,

Thank you for taking the time to write down your comments for us, following your stay. I have spoken to our reservations & Reception team about the confusion with the discount. This is a discount which is applied to the room rate at the time of making the reservation. I understand they are looking in to making this clearer upon booking so thank you for your feedback about this, it should allow us to enhance future guest's stays & prevent confusion.

The Horsebox menu is one which has recently been updated, and all of the food is made in house- I assure you that the fish was indeed battered in our kitchen, as was the pie. I'm sorry that this wasn't to your liking.

I hope that you wont allow this to prevent you from returning to the hotel, the horsebox or indeed our restaurant again. Please drop me an email should you decide to and I shall make the arrangements personally.

Warm Regards
Ellenborough Park Hotel & Spa

Reviewed October 29, 2017 via mobile

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at this beautiful hotel and quite frankly we can’t wait to return.
The hotel is set in beautiful grounds and overlooks Cheltenham race course which really is just a stones throw away. You enter the hotel through what was once the great hall which has been sympathetically met with modern interior design to provide a calm ambiance in the open plan reception/ communal/bar areas.
Checking in was quick and efficient and every member of staff from those first receptionists to the porter who took our cases back to our car were polite, courteous and couldn’t do more to ensure that we had a stay to remember.
Our room (across a courtyard and past the outdoor heated pool which is open year round) was beautiful. Air conditioning ensures a perfect room temperature even in late October and the underfloor heating in the bathroom was welcome under what would otherwise be a cold marble floor. The bathroom itself is bigger than some hotel bedrooms we have stayed in!! The shower was powerful and bath products of a very high quality, plenty of towels were provided including robes and slippers. Our bed was huge and possibly the most comfortable we have ever slept in, and we took advantage of room service on our first morning to make the most of it!!
On both days the hotel provided courtesy cars to take us across the fields to the race course and were there to take us back to the hotel after a hard afternoon trying to pick some winners!!!
We retired to the bar on both evenings where we enjoyed some bar snacks, cocktails and an array of gins! Again the staff were on hand to ensure we had everything we needed.
On our second morning we had breakfast in the dining room where we were served by a lovely young man called Johnathan! He couldn’t have done more to please us if he’d tried and our breakfasts were delicious (particularly the poached eggs and black pudding!).
This hotel really deserves its 5* status, its sumptuous surroundings are steeped in history (ask at reception for the pamphlet on the history of Ellenborough Park, it makes for very interesting reading), it’s staff go above and beyond what is expected of them and we really can’t wait to return.

Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Debbie M

Hi Debbie,

It sounds like you had a lovely stay and made the most of our track to the racecourse, it's certainly one of our favourite features. Thank you for all your kind words and we'll make sure to pass the message on to Jonathan. We hope to see you soon at the hotel, there are lots of race meets coming up...

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 29, 2017

Booked in the main Restaurant on Saturday 14th October started off with a drink in the great hall sat by a lovely log fire the waiter came and gave us the menu for the food it looked like it was printed on a slip of cardboard their were no fillet beef fillet or any other beef on the menu. their was shared Chicken It seems it might be coming down from Fine dining to mid range dining next it will be bring the dessert board to your table that said we had a lovely bottle of wine and a excellent meal the service and staff were excellent we will be booking again next week it its such a unique place Louise don't let the standard slip David. W

• Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple

Dear David,

Thank you for your feedback. We have recently launched a new menu, so hearing how our guests & diners feel about this is so important. I'm glad that you enjoyed the meal & service & hope to see you again soon. We are absolutely committed to making the Restaurant at Ellenborough a fabulous experience, so will not be lowering the standards.

Warm Regards
Operations Manager

PS. There's no dessert blackboard on the way!