“Very posh hotel...”

Ellenborough Park
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
“Very posh hotel...”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Little bit difficult to find, but it worth it...
Staff is excellent, very friendly, efficient and open to help at any time.
The decoration is superb, wonderful views and very comfortable beds.
The breakfast is delightful... many interesting options and very well presented.

Looking forward to our second visit.

Room Tip: The suits are extremely well designed, and worth booking one... ideal for honeymoons.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have just spent 2 nights is the excpetional hotel, we stayed in a classic room which was a very good size and lovely views of the gardens.
I have stayed in many great 5 star establishments over the last few years and this was right up there with the best.
The setting was wonderful and the service we recieved from the second we arrived at the main entrance was above expectations.
We ate in the fine dining restuarant on the fist night which was an amazing experience and finished of with the wine and cheese package which is a must..
We will return very soon and if you can stretch to a suite it would be worth it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chris c
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We booked the hotel through Mr & Mrs Smith including dinner, bed and breakfast and a cocktail on arrival. It is everything you expect from a five star hotel and more. On arrival the staff were very attentive from the offset, parking the car, taking our bags and giving us a tour of the hotel and facilities. We stayed in one of their gorgeous classic rooms with a four poster bed and free standing bath. The close attention to detail was amazing, the service was incredible - nothing was too much trouble. I had briefly mentioned it was our tenth wedding anniversary: The meal in the Beaufort Restaurant was superb and we were given a special dessert celebrating our anniversary. When we returned to our room- there were rose petals laid out on our bed and a card from the hotel wishing us a happy anniversary. I would recommend the hotel to anyone wanting some where special to celebrate a special anniversary or birthday. NB.There was a spa onsite, but we didn't have time to try it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TLH75
London
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed Monday - Thursday at Ellensbrough in the summer, perfect time to make use of the outdoor pool. It was however confusing that the rest of the gym facilities are on the other side of the complex and so this could be inconvenient in winter (presuming the outdoor pool remains open). The room was comfortable (almost like a mini bungalow with it's split level layout).

Breakfast was excellent and the service very good.

Only minor niggle was they are very keen for you to book the restaurant / bar for your evening meal - even when there is no one in! We turned up at the bar for dinner and were the only table there, we asked to sit by the window in a nice booth seat and were told it was reserved for a '4 person table' and yet no one sat there all night (no one else came into the bar all night!) which was disappointing.

Other than that though, it was very nice and posh although perhaps a little stuffy.

This hotel is best if you want to stay in the hotel as it is out of town so not really within short walking distance of Cheltenham.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TWestLondon
Reviewed October 27, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a couple of nights following our wedding in Tewkesbury and before heading off on honeymoon. Can't speak highly enough of how we were received, the suite we were given, the couples spa and the overall experience. Truly 5*. In the build up to the stay the staff also helped me pull off a big surprise for my wife and served up our honeymoon itinerary with our breakfast. Would highly recommend this hotel for those looking for something extra special.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
England
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

I spent last weekend at EP with my husband and two young children. We were there for my sister's wedding. There is one word to describe EP and that is FAULTLESS! The hotel and grounds are stunning, our room in the mews was absolutely beautiful. We had 2 staircases, one leading to the bathroom and the other to a study area, where we were able to put the travel cot!! Our dining experiences and the wedding itself were wonderful, and went without any hitches. My sister, mother and i used the spa facilities, had treatments and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The most noticeable and memorable aspect of the stay was the staff. Every member of staff, without exception, was friendly, courteous and welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble. On our first morning there one of the young ladies greeted myself and my 17 month old son in the grounds. She asked my son's name and made some complimentary remarks. Twenty-four hours later we saw her again in reception, she greeted my son by name and chatted away to him! It is that sort of warmth and consideration that takes EP to the next level. My husband and I have promised ourselves a child-free visit in the near future, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend EP!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank cavs
Toronto
Reviewed October 23, 2012

An amazing place. Beautiful restoration.We stayed in a room in one of the new wings. It was large with an excellent bathroom. My only complaint was that I felt the designer had forgotton to wallpaper the room and finish the headboard as a result It felt a bit cold (More on that later) in addition the amount of storage was a real issue. When you looked in the huge walk there was a space for shelves but no shelves? They brought in a chest of drawers. All small points
We ate in the main restaurant for my 50th birthday. The food and service was faultless (we were one of only 2 tables dining) We also ate in the more casual braserie which was excellant.
The gym while small was well appointed. Here I go with my only real concern. As the hotel is quite large (60 rooms) it lacks a certain feel to it. I realize that it is a new renovation of an outstanding property but it felt just a tiny bit like a convention hotel given its size. To say that it felt a bit like a theme park would be going to far but if it was fully occupied? The area is of outstanding beauty and we visited a number of villages in the area. All in all an excellent stay. I was going to book Buckland Manor but chose Ellenborough Park on the basis of the many excellent reviews in trip advisor. I believe you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CanadianMoose
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheltenham
Whatley Manor Hotel & Spa
The Lygon Arms
The Lygon Arms
#6 of 6 in Broadway
Strozzi Palace Suites by Mansley

Been to Ellenborough Park? Share your experiences!